PDA

View Full Version : What is the best homebrew game for DC?

dcdood
December 21st, 2007, 12:01
I might buy Last hope and maybe cool herders (if it's not as fast as the demo on dc tonic) but mostly i'm talking about Freeware Homebrew games. Giana's Return looks good (kind of want a demo :P

I'm going to start work on a Lynn's Legacy Port to Dreamcast. (Which will be my first DC Game ever)
Google it if you haven't heard about it. it's a great RPG Made with Freebasic for Windows\Linux. It's the one of the best rpg's i played (Last RPG I played though was KH1\2 :)

JKKDARK
December 21st, 2007, 13:48
I like Beats Of Rage.

And there was a Monkey Ball style game released recently.

beetroot bertie
December 21st, 2007, 15:43
Tis true. Beats Of Rage is really good. There are some good collections of Beats, some of its mods and other homebrew stuff over at dcevolution:

http://www.dcevolution.net/

There was a previous build of Gianas Return that was released a couple of years ago now which was very good too. I believe it's on the Sandman disc collection over at the aforementioned dcevolution site which is as good a place as any to sample some DC Homebrew.

Christuserloeser
December 21st, 2007, 17:44
I agree with Beetroot Bertie: You can test many of the best original Dreamcast homebrew games by downloading The Sandman Vol.1:

http://www.dcevolution.net/collection_sandman.php

Cool Herders has been completely rewritten since the DCTonic demo; a demo of the commercial version is included to The Sandman btw...

Personally I'd say Drill and Alice Dreams are the best original Dreamcast games. In terms of commercial homebrew aside from Last Hope and Cool Herders I really enjoyed Maqiupai and Feet of Fury the most, but Inhabitants isn't bad too.

beetroot bertie
December 22nd, 2007, 00:23
I enjoyed the Drill demo too. It showed great promise and I like shooters. The artwork was brilliant: all the character design and illustrations were really good. Do you know if it's WIP or has it been left for dead? I'd love to see more levels.

JKKDARK
December 22nd, 2007, 00:32
I think it was discontinued

Christuserloeser
December 22nd, 2007, 00:56
Yeah, it was put on indefinite hold. - Perhaps we should start a petition for that game at DCS...

dcdood
December 22nd, 2007, 22:01
Finally Downloaded Sandman, but it's 744MB (uncomp., CDI) 1 - i don't have a CD Big enough (700m max) 2- No GD-R Writer 3 - DJ has 700max writing (eval mode)

fackue
December 22nd, 2007, 23:38
BootDreams should burn The Sandman Vol. 1 perfectly fine if you decide to try it out.