PDA

View Full Version : DCEmu Asks - Sony Playstation a History & Whats the greatest PSone Game Ever ?

wraggster
December 23rd, 2007, 11:17
Hi all this is a network wide feature of sorts ill be doing for just about every console thats emulated and that we own, in time it can be used as a reference point for people to look at what games are the very best on each system

Firstly heres a look at each system and a description to remind you of the history of the console.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9301/dcemupsonexp6.jpg

Sony Playstation / PSOne
Japanese electronics company Sony?s involvement in the videogame industry began as a manufacturer of a custom sound chip used in Nintendo?s SuperNES console.
Rival companies NEC and Sega had taken the leap to CD based gaming, and Nintendo had no intentions of being left behind. They immediately partnered up with Sony to develop their CD based system. Sony went on to develop two units. One was a 16-bit add-on for the Super Famicom / SuperNES that sat underneath the system and allowed CD based gaming (SNES CD ), and another as a stand-alone unit. Initially the agreement allowed Sony the ability to license CD based games for the system. Nintendo was not willing to relinquish control over software licensing. They dropped Sony from the project, and approached Phillips to develop the add-on.

Ken Kutaragi, the Sony researcher who had worked on the "SNES PlayStation" prototype and the sound chip for the SNES (Sony SPC700), did not want to give up the hard work put into the unit. He wanted to continue working on this project and so he approached the then Sony President Norio Ogha to develop the stand-alone console without Nintendo. The project continued, and the new Sony Computer Entertainment Division was formed (SCEA).

Sony announced the console dubbed ?Playstation? at the Tokyo International Electronics Show on October 1991. The original Playstation concept would be able to play SNES games, as well as educational CD software. Nintendo would try to re-negotiate with Sony in fear that they would drop support for the SuperNES sound chip, but the joint effort between the companies never saw the light of day. Ken Kutaragi went back to develop the Playstation from scratch making it a 32-bit console that was simple yet powerful, easy to program for, and cheap. The new Sony Computer Entertainment division (SCE, SCEA, SCEE) began to use their company connections, and financial influence to persuade 160 3rd party software developers in North America alone, and over 400 worldwide, to develop for the newly designed Playstation.

The Playstation (a.k.a PSX) was released shortly after the Sega Saturn on December 2nd 1994. The console was an immediate success selling over 100,000 units it?s first weekend. Developers found the Playstation simpler to develop for then it?s 32-bit rival Saturn. Sony then took it?s console abroad. The Sony Playstation immediately saw success in America on September 9th 1995. Europe saw releases a month later.

The PSX success was driven by a strong advertising campaign, and a price $100 cheaper then Sega Saturn. The PSX eventually claimed the number one videogame console sales position by beating out the Saturn, and even maintaining it?s position after the eventual release of Nintendo?s 64-bit console.

Even after the release of next generation systems, Sony saw an opportunity to make even more money out of the PSX. In 1999 Sony released the PSOne. This remodeled PSX console was made to the size of a portable CD Disk player. It was also both cheaper to buy, and cheaper to produce. LCD screens, battery packs, and vehicle power outlets also made the console somewhat portable.

The PSX had one of the largest libraries of software spanning 1000+ releases, and a wide assortment of accessories. Ken Kutaragi's desire to keep Playstation going ushered in he next level of three dimensional CD-based videogaming, and helped make Sony a dominate force in the videogame industry.

FACT: In mid 1997, Ken Kutaragi brought back an idea that had not been seen in almost 20 years. A special version of the Playstation called Net Yaroze (Yaroze meaning ?Let?s do it together?) was released in limited quantities for around $750USD. This unit was a simplified development kit that would allow users to make their own PSX games using the C program language. Such an idea was last introduced back in 1979 with the Bally Professional Arcade (Bally BASIC), the Magnavox Odyssey2 (Computer Intro), and the Atari 2600 (BASIC Programming).

The console contained both S-video and A/V ports with cables and software to connect to any Windows / Mac PC. The unique thing about the Yaroze is that it did not contain region lockouts... so pretty much any game from any country could be played. However it did come with a special memory card that was required to start the console. The memory card contained protections that prevented copied games from running. Sony even established a website to assist programmers in development.
. .

Thanks again to Dark Watcher for his info above.

Now heres our question to you - Whats the greatest Playstation Game Ever ?

Check out PS2 Emulation (http://ps2emu.dcemu.co.uk/) for info on Playstation Emulators and Homebrew and Emulators for the Playstation.

More DCEmu Console History Can Be Found Here (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=281)

idapimp
December 23rd, 2007, 11:22
castlevania SOTN

wraggster
December 23rd, 2007, 11:22
I myself love the likes of Red Alert, Theme Park and the Gran Turismo games, infact the PSone had so many great games and not forgetting the best wrestling game ever ie WWF Smackdown 1

simply excellent

Gold Line
December 23rd, 2007, 12:15
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy 7
Grandia
Metal Gear Solid

mikebeaver
December 23rd, 2007, 12:27
Tekken 2 (at the time this set the preccedent for all future fighting games!)

Mike..

dankbeats
December 23rd, 2007, 12:29
Castlevania SOTN. I'm an MGS fanboy and I hate vampires. Yet this is still my favorite game. Its that good.

Demibeard
December 23rd, 2007, 13:26
First off, couldn't you find a Playstation with the original controller?

There are too many contenders for the best game, but my shortlist reads (in no particular order)

Tomb Raider
Final Fantasy VII
Crash Bandicoot
Gran Turismo 2
Metal Gear Solid

podunk320x
December 23rd, 2007, 13:37
The Misadventures of Tron Bonne(they never made a sequel to this great game!)

JPJunkie
December 23rd, 2007, 13:47
Tomb Raider 2

bah
December 23rd, 2007, 14:16
Dino Crisis 2
Point Blank 1-3
Pandemonium
Crash Bandicoot series

JKKDARK
December 23rd, 2007, 14:16
final fantasy 7

Anonymous D
December 23rd, 2007, 14:28
pandemonium , metal gear solid, tekken 3.

Sonicboy 101
December 23rd, 2007, 14:55
Resident Evil series
Meta Gear Solid
Gran Turismo 1 + 2
Tekken 3
Spyro 1 + 2 + 3
Crash Bandicoot all games

gelon
December 23rd, 2007, 15:38
Treasures of the Deep

steve520
December 23rd, 2007, 16:02
Crash Banicoot Series
Tekken 3 and 2
WWF Smack Down
Driver 1 and 2
Spyro the series

hmm if i think of anymore ill add to it i donno i got a playstation the first day it came out.

robocelot
December 23rd, 2007, 16:09
Treasures of the Deep
Somone mentioned Treasures of the Deep, there's also it's spiritual cousin Wild Pure Simple Life. Both great open exploration games.

Some very underrated PS1 puzzlers: Kula World (Rollaway) and Xi (Devil Dice).

Anything that Polys did for the PS1 was golden, inlcuding Motor Toon Grand Prix 1 and 2 and the Gran Turismo games.

Castlevania SOTN and Metal Gear Solid are modern classics.

When I think back to the early PS1 days, shortly after launch and the first two years of the console one game stands heads and shoulders above everything -- Twisted Metal 2.

I also wanted to point out that 'PSX' was a nickname given by the gaming press after Sony's first prototype name for the console 'Playstation-X'. They later used that name for the PS2/Tivo based console, ironically.

blaz3d
December 23rd, 2007, 16:34
I myself love the likes of Red Alert, Theme Park and the Gran Turismo games, infact the PSone had so many great games and not forgetting the best wrestling game ever ie WWF Smackdown 1

simply excellent

Command & Conquer retaliation! FF7 comes close second and FF8 straight after

peace

JPJunkie
December 23rd, 2007, 16:35
Crash Bash

Dorian
December 23rd, 2007, 16:37
1.Crash Bandicoot 2 -Overall excellent game,never left my MSPD,only 128MB

2.Gran Turismo 2 -Best Racing game ever.Unbelieveable amounts of tracks and cars,great music,and the best graphics one can pull out of a 33Mhz CPU.

3.Bushido Blade - Single player sucks in every way.Playing versus a friend with NO HEALTH BARS is amazing.Should make a new one.

4.Pandemonium - Acid trip worlds,an assortment of weapons, and memorable enemies with great music.

5. Jet Moto - Still just racing,but it was just such a fast paced, hectic dash for the finish across wide and obstacle filled tracks,with the ability to score points for tricks.The Music again,is superb.

And those would be my top 5 PSX games.

Kazayami
December 23rd, 2007, 16:42
FFVII and Tekken series games.

cihant
December 23rd, 2007, 17:11
Metal Gear Solid...

royvedas
December 23rd, 2007, 17:12
This system was so extremely great. I could go on forever, but here are some suggestions:

Hogs of War
Crash Bash
Crash Team Racing
Metal Gear Solid
Toca World Touring Cars
Tekken 3
Quake 2
WWF Attitude
WWF Smackdown 1 & 2
and lots of others...

jamotto
December 23rd, 2007, 17:25
Metal Gear Solid
Driver 1
Vandal Hearts
Castlevania : Symphony of the Night
3D Baseball
G-police
Parasite Eve

Gold Line
December 23rd, 2007, 17:27
Command & Conquer retaliation! FF7 comes close second and FF8 straight after

peace

FF8? how can anyone like that game? the stats system is broken and the chars where so boring.

Balthasar00
December 23rd, 2007, 17:40
Dam, there are so many.. FF 7 obviously, MGS and Castlevania STON

goity
December 23rd, 2007, 18:12
FF8 and Spyro 3

jhontikis
December 23rd, 2007, 18:18
Many games were great and quite a few were totally unique, like Tomb Raider and FFVII for example, but unarguably the milestone that absorbed most manhours from gamers around the world and took the genre leaps away from anything previously seen, oughta be the first and original Gran Turismo.

SSaxdude
December 23rd, 2007, 18:34
My favorite is Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2.

kojiro7
December 23rd, 2007, 18:57
Tekken 3,Soul Blade,Resident Evil 1,2,FF9,ISS Pro 98,Castlevania SOTN,Tenchu,Rage Racer

Eyedunno
December 23rd, 2007, 19:00
Another vote for FFVII.

After that, maybe the Street Fighter Alpha games (my personal favorite is Alpha 2) and Puzzle Fighter. Oh, and Umihara Kawase Shun, though the SNES version is better, for the most part. :P

____anders____
December 23rd, 2007, 19:13
Vigilante 8 Second Offense
Tekken 2 and 3
Crash Bandicoot 3
Digimon World 1
The Legendo Of Spyro 1, 2 and 3
Grand Theft Auto 2 was pretty fun too

I usually make isos from my cd's and play them on xbox with pcsxbox..

Viper Snake
December 23rd, 2007, 20:13
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

matt2k
December 23rd, 2007, 20:37
First off, I hate RPGs. So the obvious games will not be on my list.

Moving on:

Tekken 2 & 3
Pandemonium 1 & 2
"One" The way Contra should have been done in 3d.
Soul Blade
Pepsiman!!!!
Colony Wars
Gex 2
Strider 2
Philosoma
R-Type Delta
G-Daruis
RayStorm / RayCrisis

DarthPaul
December 23rd, 2007, 21:12
Metal Gear Solid
Final Fantasy VII
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
Crash Bandicoot
Grand Turismo
Tekken
Resident Evil
Bushido Blade

DimensionT
December 23rd, 2007, 21:18
Wtf? No Xenogears? How the hell can there be a thread like this with no Xenogears?!?!?!?!

For shame, people...

DarthPaul
December 23rd, 2007, 21:26
^Shut up. That game sucks. As you do...

Joke, never played it. :rolleyes:

porchemasi
December 23rd, 2007, 21:41
1. FF7
2. FF9
3. MGS
4. Dragon Ball GT

mistac
December 23rd, 2007, 22:07
Resident Evil Series

The 1st really pulled me in unlike anything had ever done before. The sheer atmosphere of the game had me on the edge of my seat. The 2nd expanded on that with a bit more action and more twisted plotlines.

Nothing has come close to giving me that feeling of interaction as much as the 1st PSX version of Resident Evil (including the NGC remakes), although Dementium comes pretty damn close.

VexnadFett
December 24th, 2007, 00:50
SquareSoft made the Playstation what it is... the made so many vast and epic games that defined that era of gaming (FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, Xenogears and many many many others)
Also, the first in Metal Gear Solid series had amazing story telling and unprecedented cinematography especially for a 32-bit console
^___^

jxx2005
December 24th, 2007, 02:33
FF7
FF8
MGS
Legend of dragoon
twisted metal 2
LUNAR SILVER STAR STORY COMPLETE

limming
December 24th, 2007, 04:39
Final Fantasy VII

Greatest game of all time.

frostymoon
December 24th, 2007, 05:23
Wipe Out XL!! I broke two controllers playing that game so hard!

Also, CTR (Crash Team Racing) was really fun! Mario Kart on the PSX!

Gamera was the BEST shooter ever for the PSX!! Everyone should try it just to see the bad acting!!

N3CR0P57
December 24th, 2007, 05:48
Thrill Kill.
It's a shame this game never saw a proper release.
Goliath's thrill kill was the most brutal fatality I had ever seen. 4 player fighting goodness.

Joe88
December 24th, 2007, 06:23
Metal Gear Solid

or maybe Resident Evil 2 & 3...

digitalhijinx
December 24th, 2007, 14:52
All of my favorites were added above I think, IDK if I saw Chrono Cross or not so I'll throw that in there too, though I have to say Unholy War was one of the funnest games on the PS too.

digum
December 24th, 2007, 15:46
final fantasy 7
metal gear solid

Kulawend
December 24th, 2007, 18:07
*snip*

mauro2029
December 24th, 2007, 19:45
1. Elemental Gearbolt
2. NFS III
3. Tomb Raider III
4. Gran Turismo
5. Wipeout, Wipeout XL, Wipeout 3
6. Tekken 3
7. Resident Evil 3
8. R/C Stunt Copter
9. Hot Shots Golf
a bunch more... really loved that system

Hypershell
December 24th, 2007, 20:56
I doubt anyone will agree with me on this, but my pick is MegaMan Legends 2. It has got to be the most underrated game of all time. Lovely visuals considering the system, an unusually interesting story (pretty rare for a MegaMan game), lots of exploration, tons of weapons to choose from, and one of the most lovable casts there is. You just can't beat it.

Runner-up -
Armored Core: Master of Arena

booradley1212
December 24th, 2007, 23:11
1) Twisted Metal 2
2) Tekken 2
3) Colony Wars
4) Hot Shots Golf
5) Treasures of the Deep
6) Vigilante 8
7) Medal of Honor

WhizzBang
December 25th, 2007, 19:45
A great machine and the true natural successor to the SNES. I would say some of the best games that I bought were:

- Metal Gear Solid
- Tekken 3
- Gran Turismo
- FFVII
- Tomb Raider
- Wip3out
- Bishi Bashi Special

EliteKiller234
December 25th, 2007, 21:37
Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete

Tron_Fan
December 26th, 2007, 15:04
Final Fantasy VII and Soul Reaver

guyTHP
December 27th, 2007, 00:24
I did enjoy the mood / cutscenes and play of Blood Omen, but I'd have to say

Ridge Racer (still play it via bleem on me dreamcast! :D )

Many years ago, once I got the hang of the skid, the game just opened up.

SilverDesertRain
December 27th, 2007, 13:14
1- Resident Evil 2 was the reason why I bought the Playstation. I have finished the game over 15 times or more. The best game I have ever played in my life.
2- Tomb Raider 2
3- Resident Evil
4- Legacy of Kain - Soul Reaver
5- Spyro the Dragon
6- Spyro the Dragon 2

Currently I am owning PS2 and Wii, PS3 is interesting but not before a proper modchip for it.

Baboon
December 28th, 2007, 08:44
Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo 2, Quake 2, Tony Hawks, Tomb Raider, Soul Blade.

Other great games... Strider2, Rtype delta, Einhander, RCdeGo :)

IndianCheese
December 30th, 2007, 04:54
Crash Bandicoot 1 and 3

titch.ryan
January 2nd, 2008, 18:45
Final Fantasy 7
Resident Evil
Tony Hawks

are classics, everyone must play these.

VampDude
January 24th, 2008, 04:21
Final Fantasy IX

alanparker05
March 10th, 2008, 00:31
final fantasy 7 is without question the greatest rpg ever it's the only time i've ever been upset when a character dies and i know every time i play i'm going to get very little sleep, even though i've completed it many times i still enjoy it

pepe55
October 27th, 2008, 08:54
Gran Turismo 2
Final Fantasy ALL

Johnny Three
September 24th, 2009, 19:55
Anyone remember G-Police?
Also loved Colony Wars and the original Soul Reaver and Armored Core.
Wipeout series, Tekken series, Tomb Raider.