PDA

View Full Version : NetHack DS V1.12 Released

wraggster
December 24th, 2007, 22:39
News/release from Abcd1234: (http://frodo.dyn.gno.org/~brettk/NetHackDS)

Welcome to the home page for my port of NetHack to the Nintendo DS. The goal of this project is to create a port of NetHack for the DS utilizing the unique features of the DS to create an easy-to-use NetHacking experience. I think I've succeeded in that goal. I'm probably wrong.

Features
An unscaled, scrolling map view on the lower screen, which can be interacted with using the touchscreen.
Minimap, message, and status information rendered to the top screen.
Support for 16- and 256-color BMP tilesets, including non-rectangular tiles (tiles must have dimensions which are a multiple of 8, e.g. 8x8, 8x16, etc).
Support for text mode, with optional full color and IBM graphics.
Popup command window for easy access to the full command set.
On-screen keyboard for text input and extended commands.
Keys are almost completely configurable.
Support for both left- and right-handed modes.
Save and restore.
Sleep mode.
News

Version 1.12 Released.

Support binding R+[Up, Down, Left, Right].
Support binding the map panning functions to keys, just like any other command.
Support binding extended commands to keys.
The map can now be panned by tapping-and-dragging with the stylus.
Faster text rendering in menus, text windows, etc.
Implemented a clone of hpmon.
Added menucolors support.
Changed the palette files so they're plain text, rather than packed binary.
Fixed a bug where one couldn't enter additional chorded commands until the chord key (R or L) was released.
Fixed a couple tap-and-hold bugs in the command window.
Various keyboard mode fixes and enhancements
F1 now enters key config mode.
Fixed bug where you couldn't toggle the keyboard off when holdmode and cmdwindow were both disabled.
Arrow buttons on the keyboard are now mapped to movement keys (this also works with number_pad mode).
Fixes for number_pad mode:
Setting number_pad in defaults.nh no longer causes NHDS to crash.
Direction keys in key config mode are mapped to the number keys if number_pad is on.
Repeat commands are triggered with 'n' if number_pad is on.
Note, one of the effects of the above changes is it's now possible to remap R+[Up, Down, Left, Right] to the various diagonals without losing any functionality (since the map can still be panned with the stylus). But, of course, the default configuration remains the same.

And, yet again, this version will reset your keybindings. For this I apologize… but I'm not motivated enough to properly deal with backward compatibility. :) Though, I am expecting this to be the last time this happens.

Lastly, to upgrade to this version, you'll need to either:

Unpack the archive over the old installation, or
Ensure you replace NetHackDS.nds, map.pal, and install text.pal.
And, really lastly (no, seriously), if you try to build from source, menucolors support requires a DS port of PCRE, the source for which I'll be posting shortly.

Download Here (http://frodo.dyn.gno.org/~brettk/download/NetHackDS_v1.12.zip) and Give Feedback Via Comments