PDA

View Full Version : mapthis - map of germany too large (5,29GB)

finalmagic2
December 26th, 2007, 17:27
hi,

i had seach in the threat, but i didn't find something helpfull.

sry for this stupid post, but i have downloaded the hole map of germany but the size is 5,29 GB already in GPSFS.... my question:

is there a possible to make the map smaller?
the map is to large even for winzip... please help

sry for this english xD

Nicko01
December 26th, 2007, 17:53
wow....
I would just cut off the parts you aren't really going to use.
yes, you can expect maps to be very large if you are using a large area.

johoo
December 26th, 2007, 18:51
yes you can make it smaller

use mib42's gpsfsconverter
it wil make it 50% smaller

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66706
read it all because later on there are other versions

fischauge
December 26th, 2007, 20:24
hi,

i had seach in the threat, but i didn't find something helpfull.

sry for this stupid post, but i have downloaded the hole map of germany but the size is 5,29 GB already in GPSFS.... my question:

is there a possible to make the map smaller?
the map is to large even for winzip... please help

sry for this english xD

How did you download the whole map o_O.
It takes ages to download whole Germany, tried many times but the files are getting to big. :/

finalmagic2
December 27th, 2007, 08:42
lol yeah it sounds crazy xD but i have it xD
if the map small enought to put it on memostick i will upload to rapid ^^

i cut off the zoomlevels 1x and 2x but you even see all the streets ^^ i think its a good map... but its to big...

i had download the tool (gpsfs_util) but it's totaly impossible to cut off the parts i don't need, because they are toooooo many xD especially on zoomlevel 8x and 4x (the last ones) my hand will explode xD

and if i press an the create-q button the program say, that the progress will be finish in 3000h xD

help me ^^

Nieko
December 27th, 2007, 09:10
Do you really need all of Germany with such detail? You might want a less detailed map of all of Germany, and more detailed maps of parts you visit often.

I've made some changes to Map This!, one of which will make Map This! automatically switch to the most detailed map: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=551268#post551268.

finalmagic2
December 27th, 2007, 09:20
mmh ... is there no other way?
i had read in the gpsfs_util threat, that a user convert a 2,9 GB map tp 1,9 GB in a few houres... is there no way to convert my map in a day to 3,5GB or so?

Nieko
December 27th, 2007, 12:21
It all depends on your computer of course. Converting the Netherlands from 534MB to 260MB took a few hours I think, on an Athlon XP 1800+.

You could try to find someone with a really fast PC :).

finalmagic2
December 27th, 2007, 12:44
hihi what pc do you have xD maybe i have found someone xD nono joke ^^

mmh i think i don't understand the program xD i man i'm stupid ^^

first i must load my map direction (_map123)
then i check no visuals and press analize right?

my map is png based

johoo
December 28th, 2007, 09:23
hihi what pc do you have xD maybe i have found someone xD nono joke ^^

mmh i think i don't understand the program xD i man i'm stupid ^^

first i must load my map direction (_map123)
then i check no visuals and press analize right?

my map is png based

first i loaded the map then
i didn't use the analize but did the quick option
i went from 3.9 gb to 1.9 gb
and it took me about 3 days to finish it :eek:

finalmagic2
December 28th, 2007, 09:59
3 days oO!!! WTF!?!?!?

then i need a whole week oO shit...
my girlfrind will killing me xD

ok but if theere no faster way i must do this ^^ xD

other options would be helpfull, otherwise i will die if she coming home xD

EDIT:

Is there a possibility to start and stop the progress or is the only way to let it run xD??

Codaz
December 28th, 2007, 15:50
Lol i think it's time to make a topic called:

Who has the biggest Mapthis map :thumbup:

5,29 GB loooool :eek:

Yes you can resize the map with MIB.42's tool, but it will take a long time depending on your computers speed.

For best results:

Intel Quad Core machine
A lot of memory (2GB+)

fischauge
December 28th, 2007, 22:22
2Gb RAM and a Intel C2D 6300 @ 3ghz should be enough :P?

finalmagic2
December 29th, 2007, 11:14
@fischauge

hey you have a fast cpu xD i upload the 5,29 GB and you convert it xD hihi ^^

fischauge
December 29th, 2007, 19:01
Ok final, I would do it ^^, cuz i would like to have the map too ^^ and i would reupload it for you.

I have 1mbit Upload. If you need space to upload the map, I can arrange something. So PM me :).

MIB.42
December 30th, 2007, 18:30
Hi Guys,

I understand the frustration of taking a long time, that's why I added the Q-Create for the PNG type maps.

If you think about it, reducing the maps is a very compute intensive process. For each tile, it has to
1. Load the map ( and uncompress the image )
2. with PNGs it has to do color-reduction ( from 256 to 16 is not an obvious task. It is a lot easier to do from x million to 256 than from 256 to 16 since the less color you have, the bigger the information loss can be and harder to find a suitable match with interactive adjustments...).
2. with JPG based maps, it has to recompress ( several times during analysis stage )
3. After the color reduction it has to do the file write. I also added buffered file read and write ( maximizing the IO speed ).
4. If you do not uncheck the "No Visual", it also has to do all the screen updates which includes memory transfer, screen transfer and sync.

In some cases this is done on hundreds of thousand of tiles, so you do the math... ;-)

Actually, since color reduction requires a lot of memory access, the most important thing is not necessarily the CPU speed, but your memory R/W characteristics, like using DDR3-1866 instead of the usual DDR-266 or DDR2-667 would give you faster performance...