PDA

View Full Version : DCEmu Asks - Sega Genesis/Megadrive a History & Whats the greatest Game Ever ?

wraggster
December 27th, 2007, 13:24
Continuing our network wide feature for just about every console thats emulated and that we own, in time it can be used as a reference point for people to look at what games are the very best on each system

Firstly heres a look at each system and a description to remind you of the history of the console.

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9287/dcemumegadrivejo0.jpg

Genesis / Megadrive
Sega made a good attempt with their Master System against Nintendo's virtual monopoly of the console industry, but they were about to introduce next generation gaming to the masses.

After two years of development the Sega Megadrive was released in Japan in October of 1988, and was the first true 16-bit console to enter the console market. The Megadrive achieved moderate success in Japan after being beat to the market by NEC's PC Engine (Turbografx) ( released only four months earlier). Sega had a lot of hits in the arcade such as After Burner and Golden Axe, and part of the appeal of the Megadrive was that now these games were not only playable at home, but were fairly close to the arcade versions.

Once again Sega set their sites on the rest of the console playing world. Sega began an aggressive marketing campaign, not only to customers, but also to developers. They quickly gained the support of western third party developer Electronic Arts, and quickly produced a line-up of quality arcade conversions and killer sports games (Games that appeal more to American gamers).

The Sega Genesis was released in America in September 1989. By the end of 1990 there were over 30 third-party developers writing games for the new system. The Sega Genesis reached a great level of success in America, but launched the system to all new heights of popularity when they released a secret project in the summer of 1992. Sonic the Hedgehog pushed the Genesis to the limit with spectacular graphics, animation, sound, and incredible speed. Sonic also became the official mascot and icon for Sega, and became part of marketing campaign to compete against Nintendo's soon to be released console which contained a slower processor (Sega dubbed the techniques used in Sonic as "Blast Processing").

Genesis saw many changes over the years. The console was remodeled in 1994, and offered a sleeker / smaller case, and a reduced price (At the expense of the head phone jack and volume control). In 1998, Majesco reserved the rights to manufacture certain Sega systems. They decided to redesign the Genesis yet again. The Genesis 3 was released in the US for under $50. It was made even smaller, but lacked the ability to interface with Sega CD and 32X.

FACT: Over the years the Genesis / Megadrive became the center point to many upgrades and add ons. The Powerbase converter allowed Master System games to be played on the Genesis. It bypassed the main 68000 processor in the Genesis and used the Z80 sound processor to run the original Master System code. While rumors circulated of a Game Gear to Genesis converter, it never made it past the prototype stage. Others served as upgrades namely the Sega CD and 32X which will be discussed later on.

Between 1993 - 1994, 3D gaming was growing in popularity. Sega's rival Nintendo collaborated with another company to develop a chip that could enhance games with 3D polygon abilities (the Super FX chip). Not to be outdone Sega teamed up with Hitachi to create the 'Sega Virtual Processor'. The SVP chip was primarily designed for Sega's 3D arcade titles, but one game was released for the Genesis with the chip installed in the cart. In 1994 "Virtua Racing" was released and retailed for $90-$100USD.

Thanks again to Dark Watcher for his info above.

Now heres our question to you - Whats the greatest Megadrive/Genesis Game Ever ?

Check out DC News (http://dreamcast.dcemu.co.uk/) & Sega Saturn News (http://sega-saturn.dcemu.co.uk/) for info on all things Sega Related.

More DCEmu Console History Can Be Found Here (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=281)

wraggster
December 27th, 2007, 13:41
Megalomania was one of the very best games ever, Super skidmarks was also very good. Virtua racing brought a new level to the world of 16bit gaming, my overall fave would have to be Megalomania, such a quality game and if you can find it check out Command and Conquer Beta game for Megadrive :)

Bestwick
December 27th, 2007, 13:49
1) Shinobi 3
2) Gunstar Heroes
3) Sonic 2

geise69
December 27th, 2007, 14:27
Gunstar Heroes
M.U.S.H.A. Aleste
Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion
Shinobi 3
Sonic 1
Streets of Rage 1&2
Thunderforce 2-4
Gaiares
Shining In The Darkness
Shining Force 1-2
Valis III
El Viento

JKKDARK
December 27th, 2007, 14:30
Phantasy Star games
Shining Force games
Mega Bomberman
Sonic The Hedgehog
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Sonic The Hedgehog 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Tiny Toons ACME All-Stars

MANCHESTERUNITEDDAN
December 27th, 2007, 15:00
Golden Axe the game that made me want a Megadrive/Genesis

My Favourite games must be the Streets of rage and sonic games

Please Sega bring back these classics sonic does not work in 3D!

kojiro7
December 27th, 2007, 15:15
Sonic 1 is the best megadrive/genesis game ever.It was my dream to own it when I was a small kid.
Others are:Eternal Champions,Shining force 2,Ecco 2,Mortal Kombat 2,SF2 Champion Edition,Virtua Racing,Phantasy star 4,Soleil

Dorian
December 27th, 2007, 15:55
1.Star Control
2.Cannon Fodder
3.Lemmings
4.Another World
5.Sonic 3

fpcreator2000
December 27th, 2007, 16:05
01. Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Lock-on Technology Baby!)
02. Shadow Dancer - Secret of Shinobi
03. Target Earth (Assault Suit Leynos)
04. Sonic 2
05. Sonic the Hedgehog
06. Mortal Kombat 2
07. Super Street Fighter II - New Challengers
08. NBA Jam T.E.
09. Vectorman
10. Shinobi III - Return of the Ninja Master

Junixx
December 27th, 2007, 16:54
Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Toejam & Earl, Comix Zone was pretty cool (I know theres alot more I'm forgetting)

Aryn
December 27th, 2007, 17:41
Beyond Oasis. It was actually, IMO, at least as good as Legend Of Zelda if not better, and the main character was more bad ass than Link.

I also liked Gunstar Heroes and Ranger X, both of which are pretty good platform shooting games. On a side note, with the seeker and laser combination Gunstar Heroes became almost too easy.

As for RPGs, Shining Force and Phantasy Star 4 were decent, as well as Shining In The Darkness.

My favorite street fighting game is Comix Zone.

Elven6
December 27th, 2007, 18:11
Wow pretty much every game made by Sega was awesome on this console, their was Sonic, Shinobi, etc and then their was Primevil Rage, Mortal Kombat, etc Pretty much every game in my big collection is one that I loved to play on this console.

Baboon
December 27th, 2007, 19:29
Gunstar Heroes
Ghouls n Ghosts
Strider
Gynog - this game was my fav old skool shooter back then. :)
Moonwalker
Toe jam and earl
Road rash
Streets of rage 1&2

SSaxdude
December 27th, 2007, 19:35
The Sega Genesis brings back memories. It was my first console, and I still play it.
1. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
2. Streets of Rage 2
3. Sonic the Hedgehog
4. Kid Chameleon
5. Gunstar Heroes
6. Zombies Ate My Neighbors
7. NBA Jam

Mini Moose
December 27th, 2007, 21:30
Streets of Rage 2

matt2k
December 27th, 2007, 21:45
1. Gunstar Heroes
2. Shinobi 3
3. Streets of Rage 1&2
4. Rockman World
5. Ranger X
6. Sonic 3

booradley1212
December 27th, 2007, 22:00
Hands down best game for Genesis?

Buck Rogers- Countdown to Armageddon! This game was as difficult as hell with a huge learning curve but if you can make it past the initial hurdles, you learn its an engrossing strategy rpg. I loved it and just completed it on my PSP as a matter of fact!

IndianCheese
December 27th, 2007, 22:04
Sonic owned that system. The best Sonic game for Genesis, in my opinion, was Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but if you count in the Sega CD, Sonic CD was the ultimate best, and is probably one of my most favorite games of all time.

There were also some very very nice hacks for Genesis ROMs, my favorite being "Sonic The Hedgehog: Extended Edition" (Google it if you can't find it). It's too bad it got no farther than a Green Hill Demo...

It's almost disappointing to compare past Sonic games with the ones of today...Sonic and the Secret Rings wasn't that great, I hear Sonic The Hedgehog blew ass, and Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games is just a spin-off.

I need a 3D Sonic game styled in that of Sonic 3 & Knuckles: choose any character, go into Special Stages, collect Chaos Emeralds, change to Super form on will, and beat the shit out of Eggman. That's what the Genesis days were all about.

Homerun
December 27th, 2007, 22:50
Sonic 1-3
SOnic Games + Sonic and Knuckles thingy

lipnox88
December 27th, 2007, 22:53
gunstar heros, sonic 1 and 2, x-men 2 clone wars, and maximum carnage.

lipnox88
December 27th, 2007, 22:56
"
It's almost disappointing to compare past Sonic games with the ones of today...Sonic and the Secret Rings wasn't that great, I hear Sonic The Hedgehog blew ass, and Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games is just a spin-off."

the sonic ds games are pretty good.

matt2k
December 27th, 2007, 23:01
yeah! Both the Sonic Advance series on the Gameboy Advance, and Sonic Rush series on the DS are great. Get your fix there.

gutbub
December 27th, 2007, 23:54
1) Vector Man- that game was a little weird, but was bad ass.
2) Sonic 2- Others said Sonic 1 & 3, but nobody said #2, which was indeed the best one.
3) Beavis & Butthead- Well, I couldn't think of anything else, and I needed to have 3. Actually, that game sucked hardcore, and was impossible to beat, but w/e.

jamotto
December 28th, 2007, 00:24
Contra - Hard Corps
Streets of Rage 2
Zombies ate my neighbors
Rock and Roll Racing
Wayne Gretzky and the nhlpa all-stars

GobboFett
December 28th, 2007, 00:40
It'd be very close between Shining Force II and Sonic 3 & Knuckles, I might have to lean more towards SFII though...

VexnadFett
December 28th, 2007, 01:00
Sonic the hedghog 2 of course
i also played a lot of Aladdin and Cliffhanger(which is still impossible to outrun the damn avalanche ><)
and later on i discovered Shining force, one of the best rpg's ever!

Eyedunno
December 28th, 2007, 02:33
1. Phantasy Star IV - one of the best RPGs of all time.
2. Sonic the Hedgehog - no comments necessary.
3. The Lost Vikings - A great game on any platform, but the Genesis version had the extra levels.
4. DecapAttack - not a great game by any means, but a unique platformer that has some of my favorite boss designs on any system.

osgeld
December 28th, 2007, 04:16
Target Earth (thats a retardedly hard game)
lightning force
Thunder force 1,2,3
air buster
eternal champions
streets of rage
toejam & earl
virtua racing
the strike series
sonic 1,2,3
spinball
Jurassic park
flashback
and many many many many more

bah
December 28th, 2007, 05:55
Sonic 2
Kawasaki Superbike Challenge
Desert Strike
Zero Tolerance (so bad, but I didnt have a PC. FPS on the MD :) )

philage
December 28th, 2007, 09:21
I remember seeing this system in a friends house, he put golden axe on and my jaw hit the ground. I sold all my nes stuff to get one and loved it. My fav games in no particular order where...

1. Golden Axe
2. Strider
3. Hellfire
4. Magical Flying Hat Turbo Adventure
5. Sonic The Hedgehog
6. Street Fighter 2
7. Thunderforce IV
8. Streets of Rage

nic0804
December 28th, 2007, 10:52
In no particular order, columns, sunger hangon, sonic 2, mickeys world of illusion

armyStrong
December 28th, 2007, 17:16
Rocket Knight Adventures...so much fun...

ojdon
December 28th, 2007, 19:54
Has to be Sonic The Hedgehog 1, Without a doubt. Although, if you asked me this question 10 years back, I would say Sonic & Knuckles, Lock-On Technology FTW!

Hypershell
December 29th, 2007, 04:48
No question here, Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Best Genesis game, best 2D Sonic, and in fact one of the best 2D platforming games of all time, right up there along with the ranks of Nintendo's Yoshi's Island.

adibakemono
January 13th, 2008, 16:02
Wonder Boy 5
Landstalker
Shining Force II
Sonic
Thunder Force 4
Dragon's Fury
Virtua Racing...

Eviltaco64
January 13th, 2008, 22:40
All the Sonics (except 3D Blast, even though it had good music), Revenge of Shinobi, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage 1

sausage dog
January 17th, 2008, 11:12
My top 5....

1. Streets of Rage II
- better than SFII (outstanding music)

2. Toejam and Earl

3. Sonic 1

4. Castle of Illusion
- i remember being chased by that big red apple on level 1 for the first time. Probably the best disney tie in ever, and an outstanding kids game.

5. NHL 95
-believe it or not this game is just as playable now as it was back in the day....and you could start fights too.

VampDude
January 24th, 2008, 04:14
Phantasy Star "2"

alanparker05
March 10th, 2008, 01:31
there's none that really stick out for me i always prefered the snes if a game was on both consoles but i'd have to say sonic 2

PX1296
July 17th, 2008, 04:06
Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic 3 & Knuckles

demon3001f
November 7th, 2008, 11:40
this is my first post and what a way to start!

1.gunstar heroes- without a doubt

2.sonic 1-legendary

3.streets of rage -awesome

4. dont know what its called but it was a fighting game like street of rage but each level you would be a different character or thing like a dragon, a warewolf, a man and so on. It was amazing thogh

Christuserloeser
December 23rd, 2008, 10:04
Revenge of Shinobi or Castle of Illusion.