PDA

View Full Version : DCEmu Asks - Nintendo Gamecube a History & Whats the greatest Gamecube Game Ever ?

wraggster
December 28th, 2007, 00:39
Continuing our network wide feature for just about every console thats emulated and that we own, in time it can be used as a reference point for people to look at what games are the very best on each system

Firstly heres a look at each system and a description to remind you of the history of the console.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9429/dcemugamecubear9.jpg

Nintendo GameCube
At Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in 1999, Nintendo announced the initial specifications for its next-generation console, code-named Dolphin. The first thing that Nintendo made clear was that the new system would not use a cartridge medium. The Nintendo 64 had done ok with the format, but the games were expensive, and the format alienated some 3rd Party developers.

More specifics were released about the new console as months past. Nintendo would have several companies involved in the project. IBM designed and manufactured the console processor called the ?Gekko?. The graphics processor called ?Flipper? was designed by a small startup company called ArtX who was later bought out by ATI. The graphics chip was manufactured by NEC. Macronix and Factor 5 contributed the sound with MoSys providing the system memory. Lastly the console would use a proprietary 8cm optical disc game format capable of holding 1.5GB of data (twice the capacity of CD-ROMs). This disk was developed and manufactured by Matsushita (best known by its Panasonic brand name). It became clear that Nintendo was indeed developing something impressive.

Nintendo?s new console was revealed on August 24, 2000 at their Nintendo Spaceworld show. The console, which was being called Starcube, was officially named the Nintendo GameCube. A fitting name for one of the smallest console system in recent history. The GameCube?s power was demonstrated with a tech demo of a game simply called ?Mario 128?.

Displaying textures would be the GameCube's most potent asset. GameCube used 6-to-1 texture compression, which will let texture data be shrunk to one-sixth its original size, with no appreciable hit on the hardware. This was clearly apparent as onlookers watched 128 rendered Mario character models running around the screen at once.

Many questioned why Nintendo would not utilize the immense DVD storage format and movie playback that rival consoles were using. Nintendo would state that they had created a next-generation, powerful, easy to understand, and easy to develop gaming system, and that would be their only focus. Roughly translated "We don't care about movie playback, and will not pay the fee associated with using the DVD standard. The Gamecube is a game console...nuff said."

Nintendo launched the GameCube in Japan on September 14 2001. Although Nintendo would market the console in other colors, only the Indigo (purple) version was initially available. Nintendo was ble to market the GameCube for around $100 less then the Playstation 2 and Xbox (Japan retailed at 25,000 yen).

A lack of initial game titles, plus a subdued publicity campaign, may have hindered the Japanese GameCube launch. Nintendo released only three games (Luigi's Mansion, Super Monkey Ball, and Wave Race: Blue Storm) and managed to sell 300,000 of 450,000 shipped units. Clearly not the usual publicized launch that usually occurs abroad, but another contributing factor may have been the world?s focus on the September 11th Terrorist Attack on the US.

The GameCube launch in the US was originally scheduled for November 5, 2001. Nintendo felt it wiser to delay the release in order to make more units and launch titles available. The GameCube was officially launched on November 18th, only a mere few days after the release of Microsoft?s Xbox. Over 700,000 units and 8 launch titles were available at launch. Even with two other next generation consoles on the market, the GameCube still managed to sell out it?s initial shipment. The success followed with the European launch in May of 2002.

As the other rival consoles went about unveiling their online gaming strategies, Nintendo merely announced the availability of a network adapter that could be used with Phantasy Star Online (oddly enough a game from former rival Sega who began console online gaming with Dreamcast). It appeared as if online gaming was not part on Nintendo?s overall strategy at that point. Nintendo's solution for multiplayer gaming was instead the concept of 'connectivity'.

Nintendo unveiled new forms of connectivity between Nintendo GameCube and their popular handheld portable Game Boy? Advance. By linking the two systems, the Game Boy Advance can be used as more than a controller. For instance, players can transfer a character trained on GameCube onto Game Boy Advance to continue game play while away from home. Or, transport characters or items via Game Boy Advance to trade with friends. Games such as Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Pac Man VS, and Legend of Zelda: Four Swords would allow up to four gamers to play multiplayer games with the Game Boy? Advance being used for status or split screen action.

Their main focus was to release quality game titles which had slowed to a trickle since the console?s debut. Toward the end of 2002 however, the GameCube saw the release of many quality ?must have? exclusive games. Remakes and sequels to Nintendo?s popular franchise characters helped push software sales for the console well into 2005. It seems Nintendo had done well to continue their console legacy, but they still had not managed to reach the level of dominance they once held.

FACT: In Japan it appeared as if the Playstation 2 gained many hardware sales by being a low costing DVD player. Nintendo partner Matsushita saw an opportunity to also cash in. The result? The Panasonic Q. A machine that combines a Nintendo GameCube and Panasonic DVD player into one.. The Panasonic Q is currently only sold for retail in Japan, however it can be purchased through import retailers. To help garner the attention of import consumers, establishments such as Upstate Games have gone the extra mile to make it totally region friendly, enabling you to play all region DVDs in addition to Japanese and US GameCube software. However, importing this puppy would run you close to $474.99USD.

Thanks again to Dark Watcher for his info above.

Now heres our question to you - Whats the greatest Gamecube Game Ever ?

Check out Gamecube Emulation (http://gcemu.dcemu.co.uk/) for info on all things Gamecube Related.

More DCEmu Console History Can Be Found Here (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=281)

Sonicboy 101
December 28th, 2007, 00:40
Greatest Gamecube game.... gotta be Resident Evil REmake.

wraggster
December 28th, 2007, 00:40
To answer my own question i would have to say the Star Wars games on Gamecube rocked and of course Mario Sunshine

VexnadFett
December 28th, 2007, 00:48
i think The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker gave me on of the best experiences on the Gamecube and also the Zelda Collector's edition which i purchased from a friend for 2 greenbacks ^___^ it was a steal!

DarthPaul
December 28th, 2007, 01:22
Animal Crossing.

JKKDARK
December 28th, 2007, 01:23
Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II

one winged angel
December 28th, 2007, 01:47
tales of symphonia i played that game for years even had to buy it twice because cd got broken from playing too much:D

YourStillWithMe
December 28th, 2007, 01:57
You are all idiots. Reisdent Evil Remake? Mario Sunshine? haha haha haha Zelda Wind Waker was the biggest waste of time EVER! If you are going to play a NEW zelda go play Phantom Hourglass dude at least that game offered new innovative gameplay.

Super Smash Brothers: Melee

I compete in tournaments and will rock anyone of you in that game.

Prince Of Fire on ww.smashboards.com check me out.

Other than that game and the mario parties and mario golf...that system was/is gutter trash.

The star wars games were pretty good too...I'll admit that.

one winged angel
December 28th, 2007, 03:15
Super Smash Brothers: Melee
.... will rock anyone of you in that game.

woudn't be so sure bout that;)

RevVS
December 28th, 2007, 03:29
Resident Evil 4...
Nu dewt abewt it.

HI-Saturn
December 28th, 2007, 03:31
There were a number of cool games for GC.

Zelda Series
Mario Series
Starfox Series
Star Wars Series (including the lego)
Metroid Series

but if I had to pick one it was soul calibur 2 with link.

Lars Vegas
December 28th, 2007, 03:39
Resident Evil 1 remake and Zero were the best

Mini Moose
December 28th, 2007, 05:35
Super Smash Brothers Melee. No doubt about it.

mike_jmg
December 28th, 2007, 06:08
Never got a Gamecube
but always played Super Smash Bros Melee at my friends's houses (haha, yeah there were many)

Aryn
December 28th, 2007, 07:20
Mario Party

I enjoyed several games on the Gamecube when I owned one, but Mario Party was the one game that everybody enjoyed playing with me whenever they visited.

Baboon
December 28th, 2007, 08:41
Resident Evil 4! ...this was the ultimate version uintill the wii game!

Mario Kart Double Dash still gets played loads today still! :)

-Xandu-
December 28th, 2007, 08:55
Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Mario Sunshine.

redsyrup
December 28th, 2007, 08:59
Wind Waker, followed by Res 4; two of the best games ever.

R4mbo
December 28th, 2007, 10:03
Nooo, not history, since there is gamecube compatibility for the Wii. I still play some older Resident Evil Games, and Smash Football and stuff with some friends is always fun.

Andrew Shand
December 28th, 2007, 11:14
Gotta be either;

Animal Crossing (Was reali just an ENG version of a JAP N64 Game so yeah...)
Mario Kart DD
Super Mario Sunshine
Donkey Konga

They were all fab games...

paul3100
December 28th, 2007, 11:40
Well guys i personally never got " into " the gamecube for one reason or another!

Well for one i had a ps1 & 2 + top spec pc and secondly i heard the GC wasn't all that good from poor hardware to CR*P games , I do like the zelda series but not enough to go but the console.

You see i was and still am in my heart a SEGA fan (boy). a bit like rangers and celtic (scottish football teams) always liked sega but nintendo with that annoying MARIO never appealed to me :mad:

All that said i do intend on picking up a S/H GC from ebay to see what it was truly like and get me self zelda and some other titles if they are cheap!

DSEMU: i love these little spots your doing with console history and would perhaps in the near future like to use some of the info for my own " history " site for consoles if you didn't mind?

All the best for the new year to you all :thumbup:

paul

irishwhip
December 28th, 2007, 14:16
i remember being pleasantly surprised by metroid prime. i really thought it was going to be garbage (long time 2d metroid fan) and it turned out to be something really special.
i also really enjoyed f-zero gx, and doshin the giant

ICE
December 28th, 2007, 14:34
RE:4, Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Smash Bros and LoZ:TP are my favorites.

Homerun
December 28th, 2007, 15:39
Super Smash Bros Meele

kojiro7
December 28th, 2007, 16:04
Resident Evil 1,Resident Evil Zero,Metroid Prime 2

gutbub
December 28th, 2007, 17:53
1) Mario Kart DD- dude, best mario kart ever.
2) Super Smash Bros Melee- pretty sweet, used copy still costs $30 in the U.S.
3) Metroid Prime- I normally hate long solo games like that, but this was awesome.

kjetil1991
December 28th, 2007, 18:27
wario world,metroid prime,james bond nightfire and zelda wind waker i still play them when im not playing cs ;)

the_eternal_dark
December 28th, 2007, 18:40
Resident Evil remake, Super Smash Bros Melee, and Mario Sunshine.

paul3100, the poor hardware claims were made by Xbox fanboys stating that the Gamecube was "underpowered". And same goes for many of the games too, many times I've heard/seen "Little kids only play Mario, Halo 2 is 4 teh 1337!".

Lapiz
December 28th, 2007, 18:46
Super Smash Bros all the way baby.

YourStillWithMe
December 28th, 2007, 19:18
Mario Kart Double Dash was the worst display of a videogame ever. It looked like it was aimed for 9 year olds. The courses were horrible!!! the idea was cool but it did not bring that spunk and excitement that SNES and N64 versions had.

Mario Sunshine-Are you a girl? That was the worst mario ever made...he had a friggin fire hydrant or some S***! thats the dumbest thing ever. Mario PARTY was good, not sunshine.

Smash Brothers Melee brings a new fighting genre to the table..the gameplay is unlike any fighting game EVER made. Smash Bros is the S*** and is truly underrated.

shadowprophet
December 28th, 2007, 19:18
Im sure people will contest this. But I would have to say the greatest Gc game of all time would simply have to be metroid prime. :cool:

Steely
December 28th, 2007, 19:40
The games I played/enjoyed the most in no particular order...

Super Smash Bros. Melee - Awesome

Animal Crossing - Too addictive.. I loved that game so much.

Mario Party 4 - Every Mario Party after that just got repetitive... And it wasn't that great, either...

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - Good game.

Starfox Assault - Multiplayer was pretty fun, Single player small, but fun while it lasts.

Mario Sunshine - Mario Sunshine just wasn't THAT great... But it was good. I guess after playing Galaxy, I just can't appreciate Sunshine too much.

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - Too much water, and I didn't mind the "childish" graphics. Overall, it was a great game(There's only a few areas in the game where I would just stop(Makar's dungeon place and collecting the Tri-Force pieces...)).

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - A lot better than Wind Waker, and I think it's also better than Ocarina of Time... I know almost everyone would disagree, though.

Metroid Prime - Great game. Just hard to find out what's going on if you don't pay attention(obviously). Also, it was an amazing change into 3D.

Battalion Wars - Voice Acting is.. Too enthusiastic.. But overall another good, fun game.

Tales of Symphonia - I enjoyed it. My sister beat it like 10 times. Great RPG.

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle - I REALLY used to love this game. I only realized later how bad the voice acting was, but the game is still incredibly fun. I beat it perfectly. :)

Skies of Arcadia Legends - Another extended Dreamcast port. It's a good RPG. Not the best, but definitely good.

F-Zero GX - It was SO hard beating the very hard modes, but it was never boring. It's a fun and intense game.

I love Paper Mario, too. Donkey Konga was really fun and great for friends, but I don't appreciate what they've done to Donkey Kong, and they should've just localized Taiko.

limming
December 28th, 2007, 21:42
F-Zero GX

the_eternal_dark
December 29th, 2007, 00:22
Mario Sunshine... That was the worst mario ever made...

Then what was Mario 2? As I remember it, that was possibly the worst of the Mario games. Sunshine was at least better than Mario 2 and Luigi's Mansion.

booradley1212
December 29th, 2007, 00:24
Pikmin

YourStillWithMe
December 29th, 2007, 01:59
Mario 2 is not even considered to be a mario game at all. It orginally wasnt even supposed to be a mario game. I bet you didnt even know that.

Hypershell
December 29th, 2007, 04:59
Is this even a question? Super Smash Bros. Melee.

YourStillWithMe-
Right, Doki Doki Panic. "Our" Super Mario Bros. 2 is a bit of an enhancement, adding the ability to run (some of the shortcuts we know and love were not possible before that), ditching some of the more senseless play mechanics (you originally had to clear every stage with every character to view the ending), and throwing in the ever-loved Mario characters and effects (small when near death).

"Super Mario USA", as our version is referred to in Japan, beats the stuffing out of Sunshine any day. Not to mention we have it to thank for Bob-ombs, so all us pyromaniacs out there (all Bob-omb Super Sudden Death... *drool*) owe a lot to it.

CBK4EVER
December 29th, 2007, 06:51
Ok, mario sunshine is far from the best mario game there is. RE 0-4 where all good. metroid was ok. on my list am going to talk about stuff that isn't up already.

Eternal Darkness: "What the Hell' something I said ever and over agian well playing. I played it trough atleast three or four times becasue of the one time only cut sceans.

Wario Ware: One of the few party style games that dosn't piss me off. Hell I play it by my self the games are so addicting

Donkey Konga: It was fun and realy dosn't seem like such a stupid idea now that rock band is out.

The Wave Bird: Well, it's not a game and it dosn't rumble. It sure was cool when i sat on the couch and left the cube on the tv well my room mates ps2 was siting on the floor with cords streched out. walking over 70 feet and still having the thing work perfictly kicked ass, espetaly with the quality of most of the other wireless controlers avalable at the time.

I have a large cube colection and i get riduculed for owning a lot of the multi platform games on the cube when apperantly the xbox or ps2 versions are better. So what, I have never felt the need to own a ps2 and when i had an xbox i used it to play fable, lission to music off the hard drive and walch movies.

VampDude
January 24th, 2008, 04:23
Zelda - Twilight Princess

Devezu
January 27th, 2008, 03:39
There is no doubt about it - Super Smash Brothers Meele. I am very surprised that it wasn't bundled with the GameCube at any point. You go to any 'cube owner and they SHOULD HAVE THIS GAME WITH FOUR FRIECKIN CONTROLLERS! Good times beating everybody with the b/w Kirby.

Eviltaco64
January 27th, 2008, 03:47
Smash Bros Melee
Super Mario Strikers
Resident Evil 4
Metroid Prime
Zelda Twilight Princess
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle

alanparker05
March 10th, 2008, 01:18
i loved viewtiful joe it's just an old fashioned 2d platform shooter, looks great, plays great, just all round greatness!!!

Oktober
March 20th, 2008, 19:18
Pikmin - I can never sell this!
Mario Kart: Double Dash - I'll have to wait until the new one come out to see if I'll keep this - but more than likely because I kept the GC controllers for it.
WarioWare - just awesome to confuse your mates, and for making up drinking games too!

PX1296
July 17th, 2008, 03:56
Super Smash Bros Melee, but that's just my opinion based on the games I own and I've played.