PDA

View Full Version : Atari Is dying

shadowprophet
December 28th, 2007, 08:19
http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/5793/atari2za5.gif

Recently yet another nail had been pounded into Atari's coffin.After losing one of their premier license "the DBZ franchise" to Namco bandai.

Atari has more recently been warned by Nasdaq That it has 90 days or until march 20'th To pull itself into shape or it will be removed from the Nasdaq index. Basically ruining its stock interest and killing the business as a competitor on any level.

It's sad, like a lot of you, my first video game console was an atari. We have all seen them struggle for years to compete in an overly competitive "rat race market" Only to come up short. And now It seems the curtain is closing on a legend, but not with a bang or a whimper. Just a soft eerie sigh.

Here is the full article from forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/12/27/ap4477998.html)

NEW YORK -

Struggling video game developer Atari Inc. said Thursday it received a warning from Nasdaq that its shares could be delisted because the market value of its stock is less than $15 million.

If the market value of Atari's publicly held shares, or the number of shares outstanding minus any shares held by officers, directors or beneficial owners of 10 percent or more of the company, falls below $15 million for 30 consecutive days, the stock will be delisted.

Atari has 90 days, or until March 20, to regain compliance with the rule. If it receives a notice of delisting after that time, Atair may appeal the decision.

Atari shares fell 4 cents to close at $1.44 on Thursday. The company had about 13.5 million shares outstanding as of Sept. 30, according to its fiscal second-quarter financial statement filed on Nov. 19.

It's just sad. I think we all saw it coming some day. But Still credit should be given to the legend that Is atari. Without them as the pioneers of the industry, where would we be today?

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/2489/unhappyuu1.gif

Kaiser
December 28th, 2007, 09:20
Remember SP.

This isn't that ATARI

This is merely a company who bought the name and rights to the ATARI name. This ATARI is merely 'Infogrames' reborn in 2003 with a new name. The old classic ATARI died decades ago, and than was reborn in the early 90s (that 2nd Atari died again with the Jaguar).

ATARI will never die, its too much of an iconic name to be abandoned.

shadowprophet
December 28th, 2007, 09:26
Remember SP.

This isn't ATARI

This is merely a company who bought the name and rights to the ATARI name. This ATARI is merely 'Infogrames' reborn in 2003 with the Atari shell. The old classic ATARI died decades ago, and than was reborn in the same way it was recently in the early 90s (that 2nd Atari died again with the Jaguar).

Wow I didnt know that, So the original atari has been dead since the market crash, back in the day :eek:.

that changes a lot then. Infogrames as I remember was a second rate developer possibly third rate even :p

This isnt the Atari I was fondly
remembering then :p

That actually makes me feel better :D

bah
December 28th, 2007, 09:33
It's been dead for a long time, pumping up its corpse with venture capital and propping it up against a wall doesn't count as life. :)

shadowprophet
December 28th, 2007, 09:36
It's been dead for a long time, pumping up its corpse with venture capital and propping it up against a wall doesn't count as life. :)

Heh, *does his happy, "it's not really atari after all" dance :thumbup:

fanze
December 28th, 2007, 10:02
Whats going to happen to Unreal? Who will publishing it?

DarthPaul
December 28th, 2007, 10:22
Atari sucks.

JKKDARK
December 28th, 2007, 14:35
I don't like any games developed/published by Atari

Sonicboy 101
December 28th, 2007, 14:37
Atari started dying when E.T came on it! :p

Shadowblind
December 28th, 2007, 16:37
Infogrames is one of my favorite developers of the old time. They made Mechwarrior 3 and Roller Coaster Tycoon.

Don't make fun of em :o

Napalm-Death
December 28th, 2007, 17:01

I'm guessing Midway, since they published UT3.

Dull Blade
January 3rd, 2008, 06:57
I kinda sucks to see this happen, even though it wasnt the origional atari. I kind of feel the same as when MG/ British Leyland went under. (even though MG has been resurrected, it not the same company just some chinese knock off trying to ride on the name)

VampDude
January 12th, 2008, 00:26

I'm guessing Midway, since they published UT3.

Or maybe EA, since the current Atari is a renamed Infogrames and EA own a majority of Infogrames (EA should take over).

But I would strongly say Midway as they made the last game, they probably hold the rights to the game.

gdf
January 12th, 2008, 00:42
Infogrames is one of my favorite developers of the old time. They made Mechwarrior 3 and Roller Coaster Tycoon.

Don't make fun of em :o

You forgot Hogs Of War.

VampDude
January 12th, 2008, 17:14
You forgot Hogs Of War.

HOGS OF WAR kinda sucked, though it was a fun game for a while, I rented it back in 2001.

Eviltaco64
January 12th, 2008, 19:32
Yeah Acclaim ended up doing what Atari did as well. Going bankrupt years ago and another company using the name/logo

VampDude
January 12th, 2008, 23:23
Yeah Acclaim ended up doing what Atari did as well. Going bankrupt years ago and another company using the name/logo

Acclaim I believe is a company started by ex-Activision employee's in 1987 (I might be wrong), in 2005 the Acclaim name rights was purchased by a former Activision executive, which as of 2006 became Acclaim Games.

gdf
January 14th, 2008, 22:37
HOGS OF WAR kinda sucked, though it was a fun game for a while, I rented it back in 2001.

It was badass, especially with mates. Worms but in 3 dimensions, who could argue really?

Still better than Worms 3D.:thumbup: