PDA

View Full Version : PS3 to LIve 10 Years ?

wraggster
July 26th, 2005, 11:38
Besides the original Game Boy platform, no system has ever lasted 10 years in the market. Pretty much straight up like that. But that apparently didn’t stop Sony Computer Entertainment Prez Kenny Kutaragi from stating at PlayStation Meeting 2005 that they’re “looking at a life cycle of 10 years with the PlayStation 3” due to the transition to HDTV. Uh, ok, that’s a little oblique—so how do they plan to accomplish this? Why, with “full HD features from the start so that consumers won’t have to buy another version of the console in the future.” Ahem. And what are we to conclude from this? Well, perhaps the money is in Ken’s quote that “the PS3 can’t be offered at a price that’s targeted towards households,” and, “I’m not going to reveal its price today. I’m going to only say that it’ll be expensive.” Sorry for all the quotes, but we’re just laying it down—with previous estimates hovering at about $400 per unit, should we take this as a possibility that the PS3 is getting a big price bump in the wrong direction, and might just perhaps be classing itself right out of the market? Hope not, but we don’t even know what to expect anymore—execs tend not to whine about their gear being too expensive if at all possible.

Cap'n 1time
July 27th, 2005, 22:16
Besides the original Game Boy platform, no system has ever lasted 10 years in the market. Pretty much straight up like that. But that apparently didn’t stop Sony Computer Entertainment Prez Kenny Kutaragi from stating at PlayStation Meeting 2005 that they’re “looking at a life cycle of 10 years with the PlayStation 3” due to the transition to HDTV. Uh, ok, that’s a little oblique—so how do they plan to accomplish this? Why, with “full HD features from the start so that consumers won’t have to buy another version of the console in the future.” Ahem. And what are we to conclude from this? Well, perhaps the money is in Ken’s quote that “the PS3 can’t be offered at a price that’s targeted towards households,” and, “I’m not going to reveal its price today. I’m going to only say that it’ll be expensive.” Sorry for all the quotes, but we’re just laying it down—with previous estimates hovering at about $400 per unit, should we take this as a possibility that the PS3 is getting a big price bump in the wrong direction, and might just perhaps be classing itself right out of the market? Hope not, but we don’t even know what to expect anymore—execs tend not to whine about their gear being too expensive if at all possible.

well, its currently hard to imagine anything much more powerfull than the Xbox360 or the PS3... but I seriously doubt 10 years.

BlingShyne2 TAA
July 27th, 2005, 22:43
Actually, The PS1 never officially died.