PDA

View Full Version : CrabEmu 0.1.6 Released

BlueCrab
December 31st, 2007, 18:18
Well, I missed having a Christmas release this year, so I'll have a New Years one instead. I've released CrabEmu 0.1.6 today supporting both Mac OS X and the Dreamcast. There are plenty of changes in this version from the last version, not the least of which being that it now runs on the Dreamcast.

Anyway, for those wondering, CrabEmu is a Sega Master System, Game Gear, and now SG-1000 emulator. It doesn't run perfectly on the DC yet, and there's no sound, but its a good start for an emulator that I never actually intended to port to the Dreamcast. :cool:

You can get it from http://crabemu.sourceforge.net

Happy New Years to all.

JKKDARK
December 31st, 2007, 18:29
Great job, thanks for porting it to Dreamcast :)

Mark30001
December 31st, 2007, 21:20
Awesome release BlueCrab! :)

Maturion
December 31st, 2007, 22:24
Wow, thank you Crabby! Thank you for releasing it for the Dreamcast, too.

pang1978
January 1st, 2008, 12:55
Nice BlueCrab! It's good to see a release for the Dreamcast.
Thanks.

Christuserloeser
January 1st, 2008, 20:40
Thank you a lot for this release, BC. I wonder if Fox68k's FAZE Z80 emu in SH4 would help with adding sound to the Dreamcast port...

BlueCrab
January 2nd, 2008, 04:13
Thank you a lot for this release, BC. I wonder if Fox68k's FAZE Z80 emu in SH4 would help with adding sound to the Dreamcast port...

I doubt it, as the sound is still emulated just not output (sorta like how it is in Yabause). The main problem with CrabEmu isn't the Z80 emulation, but rather the VDP. That is just a case of me having to optimize it a lot more than I have had time to do so far.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words about this release.

Dull Blade
January 2nd, 2008, 04:35
nice to see some new emulators coming out. its good to see that chui (and his team) arent the only ones still doing this stuff (if he still is). looks like dream-o-rama has some competiting now on the sg-1000 front. lol.

ron
January 2nd, 2008, 15:10
THX a lot for your emu BlueCrab. Awesome !!

Christuserloeser
January 2nd, 2008, 18:46
I doubt it, as the sound is still emulated just not output (sorta like how it is in Yabause). The main problem with CrabEmu isn't the Z80 emulation, but rather the VDP. That is just a case of me having to optimize it a lot more than I have had time to do so far.

I see. What I was trying to say though, would be that you should gain quite a bit of speed by switching to FAZE; enough to avoid the VDP optimizations - and maybe even to allow YM2413 emulation, I hope.

Thanks again for this port, BC - I will update DCEvolution's S8-DEP release asap to include CrabEmu. :)

BlueCrab
January 2nd, 2008, 20:25
I see. What I was trying to say though, would be that you should gain quite a bit of speed by switching to FAZE; enough to avoid the VDP optimizations - and maybe even to allow YM2413 emulation, I hope.

Thanks again for this port, BC - I will update DCEvolution's S8-DEP release asap to include CrabEmu. :)

While I won't say that FAZE wouldn't affect the speed at all, I know for a fact that the VDP emulation is much slower than the Z80 emulation. Also, as a side note, CrabEmu is really a learning project for me. I wrote every piece of it myself up to this point. So, if I was to try to use an assembly Z80 core, I'd be inclined to write it myself. The same goes for the YM2413 emulation, I'd want to write that myself as well.