PDA

View Full Version : The Dreamcast Scene - Your Hopes for the Year Ahead

wraggster
January 1st, 2008, 22:17
Im sure we have all realised by now that the Dreamcast Homebrew community although strong has slowed down but it will never die, a question to every Dreamcast Fan.

What are your Hopes in the year ahead for the Dreamcast both in Homebrew and Emulation ?

Elven6
January 1st, 2008, 22:21
A better way to develop games, Ive been trying to set up an evironment but the guides are either:

A. Outdated
B. Not worth it, because if you have questions no one is able to help you out.

If we can get this problem sorted out and get a solid place to develop DC software, similar to the PSP, we can see a resurge.

Im looking forward to that PS1 emulator that was started a few months ago, mabye a revival N64 emu?

JKKDARK
January 1st, 2008, 22:32
New homebrew commercial games released. There are many annouced but we still didn't see them! :(

A release of psx4all, the PlayStation emulator. I have so many games that I want to test :)

Sega CD/32X emulation.

New homebrew servers for online games.

New official Dreamcast games, because the Dreamcast should be the next Neo Geo!

beetroot bertie
January 1st, 2008, 22:34
I'm looking forward to a hopefully finished Gianas Return. A full speed Snes emulator would blow me away but I doubt that will happen :(

HI-Saturn
January 2nd, 2008, 01:26
Would love to see:
Sega CD/32X emulation
Saturn Emulation (though I know that's asking alot)

JKKDARK
January 2nd, 2008, 01:33
Saturn Emulation (though I know that's asking alot)

Actually we already have Saturn emulation on Dreamcast (Yabause). Of course it's still very slow at the moment, but since it's not an easy job we need to be patient.

Masta-G
January 2nd, 2008, 13:25
a full speed divx/xvid player with .srt subtitle support and streaming over network.
So we can play our 700mb movies with subtitles without having to re-encode them.

ron
January 2nd, 2008, 15:01
a BBA clone and HD / compact flash interface

DarkSynbios
January 2nd, 2008, 15:14
Hope In Raiden 4 Release! Components cables!:D and more more!! :D

OV3RFiEND
January 2nd, 2008, 17:43
New homebrew commercial games released. There are many annouced but we still didn't see them! :(

A release of psx4all, the PlayStation emulator. I have so many games that I want to test :)

Sega CD/32X emulation.

New homebrew servers for online games.

New official Dreamcast games, because the Dreamcast should be the next Neo Geo!

I quite agree. :thumbup:

Heavy Stylus
January 2nd, 2008, 19:01
I'm really looking forward to both R4 and GR.

Christuserloeser
January 2nd, 2008, 19:51
- A Dreamcast port of Streets of Rage Remake

- Releases of Giana's Return; Rush Rush Rally Racing; Donk; Dalforce (XOP); Wind and Water; Time Hunter; etc.

- GenesisPlusDC update using FAME and FAZE :)

- FAME and FAZE updates to emulators for all those systems that use Z80 or M68k CPUs: like GBC; ZX Spectrum; Amstrad CPC; MSX; ColecoVision; etc.

- Emulators using FAME and FAZE for those systems that use Z80 or M68k CPUs: Sharp X68000; Sega System 16; CPS1 and CPS2; ...

- And of course at least one big Dreamcast game by SEGA to celebrate the Dreamcast 10th birthday

quzar
January 2nd, 2008, 19:54
A better way to develop games, Ive been trying to set up an evironment but the guides are either:

A. Outdated
B. Not worth it, because if you have questions no one is able to help you out.

If we can get this problem sorted out and get a solid place to develop DC software, similar to the PSP, we can see a resurge.

Im looking forward to that PS1 emulator that was started a few months ago, mabye a revival N64 emu?

Um... for the past, at least, three years the number one way to set up a dev environment on a windows PC has been to use fackue/lyingwake's DCDEV ISO. Now on rev 3 it includes everything you need, as well as doubling as a bba/cc loading disc when inserted into a DC.

Most dev questions asked here and at DCEmulation are answered relatively promptly. If you've been having problems you just havn't been asking your questions properly or have been asking elsewhere.

Gunnex
January 2nd, 2008, 23:07
I have a set of 10, how about that.

1) Further development on the Sega Saturn emulator.
2) SegaCD/MegaCD/CDX emulator with disc swap support.
3) Better PS1 emulation.
4) Heck, N64 if possible.
5) Inexpensive BBA clone.
6) HDD/CF or some form of larger storage.
7) More commercial games.
8) More homebrew games.
9) Giana's Return and Donk being finished.
10) More 'Magazine CDs' because they are fun :thumbup:

knifethrower
January 3rd, 2008, 14:10
While PSX/N64/Saturn/SNES emulation would be lovely, I would love for some ports and emulators that are a little more unpopular.

First up I would love a mac emulator of some sort, B&W Mac not even colour, I know that running mainly from a read-only medium and having to mess with saving to the VMU (tiny floppy images suck on the VMU for save files and things like that perhaps?) would make it a lot less useful I still think it would be neat to have some old MAC games running on the Dreamcast.

Next up, a working MPEG-1/VCD player. MPEG-4 is great and I while would love a Divx/Xvid player I would also like to see this relatively low resource-requirements format supported as well. I've never quite understood why MPEG-1 playback on the Dreamcast has always stayed so lousy, is there some issue I'm not aware of that would make it out of the question?

I want the games the GOAT Store announced to be released.

I don't want the scene to die, I loves me my Dreamcast I do I do.

The last thing is (this is what I really, really want even though I know it will likely never happen), a Dreamcast port of Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe, yeah it would be a pain to use for people without the mouse/keyboard but if you don't have a set by now you are a hopeless cause :p .

Maturion
January 3rd, 2008, 20:42
I want to see some ports of SDL-based games. I hope I'll have enough time to do my own ports.

And I want a central place for all Dreamcast Development. Like Dreamcast-Dev.com where every DC-Developer is active and where you can find loads of tutorials.
That'd be great and I hope there will be new homebrew servers for online games. Donk: Samurai Duck and R4 will come very soon.

And I want a Dreamcast coding contest like there is one for the Saturn

the_eternal_dark
January 5th, 2008, 09:24
An update to Marathon, that's all I ask.