PDA

View Full Version : Elite AGB/DS News

wraggster
January 2nd, 2008, 18:27
Quirky (http://quirkygba.blogspot.com/) has posted news of his port of the classic Elite to the Nintendo DS:

A hectic few weeks in RL (I'm now a dad) have meant that I have not been able to dedicate much time to coding. However, I've ironed out the last few DS specific bugs in my port of Elite AGB and it is now playable. The only major issue left to resolve is the sound. The XM player that I wrote for the GBA version is incompatible with the DS by design, due to the hardware differences. I have integrated libntxm but it has a problem that causes notes to be cut short. The GBA sound effects use the GB sound hardware, which can be emulated on the DS using its PSG sound system. I got this working without too much hassle, but I get the feeling that it doesn't play nicely with libntxm either. The sound effects work when libntxm is not activated in the build, but adding it in causes the sounds to break.

I think the best option at this point is to remove XM playback - remove the crappy music ;-) - until I port my own XM player to the DS. This way I can make a release soon-ish before I get really sick of the whole thing.

Echo1
January 2nd, 2008, 20:38
I'm patiently waiting for this. I love Elite. :)

Atien
January 2nd, 2008, 23:04
I look forward to waste as much time on this game as I do with nethackDS :D
I hope you'll use all the potential of the DS (double screen & stylus) one day for this port.
Good job!

Mr.Peanut
January 3rd, 2008, 16:14
Possible touch screen use: put the radar on the top half, with a zoom factor toggle. Use touch buttons for all non combat funtions. All combat functions should be mapped to real keys.

crookedmouth
April 29th, 2008, 01:37
He has a file up that is playable without music.I can't find it anywhere here so figured I'd point it out.Sorry if this is a repeat.

EliteDS
http://ds-elite.googlecode.com/files/eliteagb-0.5.3.zip

So far it seems like a straight port with no DS specific controls. Looks nice so far though.

Danief
April 29th, 2008, 05:10
oh man... i tried this out... i had no idea what the heck i was doing.

Akoi Meexx
April 29th, 2008, 13:51
Congrats on becoming a Dad!

evilzippy
April 29th, 2008, 20:31
work work work work work and work work work till you finnish 8) dont let your friends round no drinking out with them to rofl 8) please complete this

ironliam
May 3rd, 2008, 17:58
thanks for the release so far - takes me back to 1985 lol

i'd love to see this finished. been playing it a bit but it crashes every now and again.

congratulations on the baby too :)