PDA

View Full Version : Criterion defends Burnout demo

Shrygue
January 2nd, 2008, 18:40
via Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=89896)

Criterion's Alex Ward has responded to feedback on the recent Burnout Paradise demo defending certain elements that have come under fire.

"Everyone breathe, relax, and remember, it's only a demo - we think we made the best demo released all year - you don't see many other games getting an online enabled demo up on both systems before launch," the outspoken developer wrote in a Christmas message.

Some of the response to the demo has focused on the lack of a retry button once you fail a task (something we pointed out earlier this year), changes to Crash mode and the size of Paradise City itself.

"The lack of retry really isn't an issue," says Ward. "You may disagree, but we don't feel it is and retry would have introduced loading into the game, which we didn't want to do." As for comments on Crash, he's less sympathetic. "Hmm, again, none of you have played it yet... It's not Crash Mode, it never was - it never could be. There was no way we would have created a linear and limited experience in a massively open game that is about freedom, expression and seamless play. Again, try it for yourself and make up your own mind. Don't let the internet do it for you."

F9zDark
January 2nd, 2008, 19:01
The lack of a "crash" mode does kinda suck in my opinion. But the openness of the game world, at least in the demo, makes it worth it.

However, I don't see why there cannot be the two. Why can't there be a similar setup to races, yet at the end of the "course" there is a parking garage or train station with a ton of cars, trucks and buses just waiting to be demolished?

But Burnout Paradise has my dollar, and being that it was developed on the PS3 first and then ported to the other system, should make any would-be PS3 owners happy. I'd support it just for that reason, to set the standard for future multi-platform titles.