PDA

View Full Version : Tyranid Reveals How the Pandora Hack Was Done

wraggster
January 2nd, 2008, 19:08
Tyranid one of the PSP scenes most experianced Developers/Hackers and part of the group who released the Pandora Hack the single biggest release in the history of the PSP Scene, check out the video of him talking about that and other matters here --> http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid=-993960164729227655&q=24C3&total=30&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=6

longbaugh
January 2nd, 2008, 20:19
this guy is a fool,he revealed info that can help $ONY Blocking further firmwares or new psp.
and if you watched the video you can hear him say that sony developers are stupid....Hmmmm yeah right,i see who's the stupid one here.
this kinda of info need to be keeped among you developers.

watupgroupie
January 2nd, 2008, 20:53
this guy is a fool,he revealed info that can help $ONY Blocking further firmwares or new psp.
and if you watched the video you can hear him say that sony developers are stupid....Hmmmm yeah right,i see who's the stupid one here.
your the fool here and need to keep stupid remarks like that to yourself. The pandora hack is already patched so shut up you idiot. It's impossible to patch it through software but the battery has been patched to stop it being turned into service mode.

jeegee
January 2nd, 2008, 21:26

How many firmwares have you hacked?? Clever bas##rds is all i can say. liked the Q&A session. So it was the Chinese who forced team prometheus to releas when they did!!!

Koga
January 3rd, 2008, 00:50
If you paid enough attention to the video, you'd realize that they can only fix it with hardware revisions.

Out of curiosity, do you think Sony doesn't know how it's being exploited?

Art
January 3rd, 2008, 01:17
They do know, and it no longer matters, which is why it's ok to talk about it.
as soon as it was leaked Sony were able to see how it works
and prevent it with a new hardware resision if desired.

this guy is a fool
Only one of the most respected, and talented devs on the PSP scene.
For you, at two posts, I'd just ditch that account and start again fresh :rolleyes:
Art.

MZeroEW2
January 3rd, 2008, 01:28
I rather liked this. helps a programmer like me out!

watupgroupie
January 3rd, 2008, 05:33
They do know, and it no longer matters, which is why it's ok to talk about it.
as soon as it was leaked Sony were able to see how it works
and prevent it with a new hardware resision if desired.

Only one of the most respected, and talented devs on the PSP scene.
For you, at two posts, I'd just ditch that account and start again fresh :rolleyes:
Art.
so true in so many way's. He's part of the reason dev's are quiting the scene. People like that need to learn to keep their mouth's shut.

robocelot
January 3rd, 2008, 06:48

Err, no. Not really.

As others pointed out, Sony already knows how Pandora was done and were probably busy dissecting it the minute it was leaked.

As for calling Sony programmers "stupid" -- I didn't get the impression from the talk he was doing that.

Almost all of the security holes in PSP firmware were there because of a *failure to imagine* how someone would be trying to make the machine run code in absurd ways. There is no way you can cover all those bases unless Sony employed their own team of hackers. A project leader who is too paranoid about security is one whose work-in-progress remains in the lab.

Assuming that your security is perfect and some exec slashing your R&D time in half to get the product out in the market is a recipe for trouble as well.

The next mistake Sony made is that they kept trying to add band-aid solutions to plug the security holes (mainly to save the R&D money needed to redesign the hardware) -- and ended up creating new holes where none existed before, or worse they opened up ones that had already been fixed previously.

It took a full overhaul of the hardware to correct the problem -- three years later.

Psyberjock
January 3rd, 2008, 07:32
Art.

:rofl: Good thinking. But considering his response, I'm not sure that a new account is going to be enough. He needs a new personality as well. You can't ditch being stupid as easily as an account.

ab_geee_eee
January 3rd, 2008, 12:31
Cool, so this means $ony can't patch this through software?

blackrave
January 3rd, 2008, 14:33
It's really cool to see one of the top PSP homebrew developers present this live in person at a conference like this. Very interesting and informative. I would love to see more of this in the future.

Cool, so this means $ony can't patch this through software?

That has been known since the release of Pandora's battery. :)

cid
January 3rd, 2008, 19:39
The video isnt working for me, all i get a a french error code