PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS 2: the 3D Mock-Up Makes Us Drool Alien-Style

Shrygue
January 2nd, 2008, 19:27
via Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/339601/nintendo-ds-2-the-3d-mock+up-makes-us-drool-alien+style)

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/4/2008/01/thumb463x_3d-nintendo-ds2-front.jpg

Gizmodo reader Phil Nolan, a profesional 3D modeler and animator, got inspired by our Nintendo DS 2 mock-up and wish list and sent us his cool version of this dreamed-up third iteration of the Nintendo DS. It looks so yummy inside that I want to get it out for a date:

As you can see, he took the original design and added a whole lot of the iPhone and the PSP. Looks quite good to me, even while it still has some unresolved issues, like the hinge, which can't be like the MacBook because it will block the shoulder buttons. Still, a very doable, even slimmer form factor than the Lite which can perfectly fit all the not-so-crazy features we thought could make it to the next revision of the Nintendo portable console.

And before the anti-Apple camp gets up in arms, let's not forget that the original DS got redesigned with a clear inspiration on the Apple's all-white, all-shiny, all-simplicity iPod design. People didn't think the same could be done with the original DS and look what happened with the Lite.

Some more thoughts from the "buts" that people claimed about the first 2D mock-up:

"But the screen on top should be the same size"
Not necessarily. For compatibility, you can play original DS games letterboxed. Even new games could retain exactly the same format and keep backward compatibility if you want. The top wide-screen, however, could be used very well in most games. But specially, for media playback.

"But the it should be a totally new concept. Nintendo broke the rules and will do it again in the next generation"
That may be true, but the True Next Generation is years away. It took decades for Nintendo to change the paradigm of the original Gameboy to the Nintendo DS. Until the latter arrived, the first went through many iterations, each adding more things: smaller package, more power, color, backlighting, etc.

They milked the cow until it was dead. Then, they reinvented themselves with the DS. The next DS will be an evolution of power and features, not of basic concepts. It works great now, it sells like crazy, so you don't need to change it dramatically just yet. Nintendo just needs to keep the distance with the PSP and that will be it.

"But it will be too expensive to make"
Like I said in the original mock-up article, given the sinking prices of current components thanks to the proliferation of smartphones like the iPhone or multimedia players, a DS 2 with shaved corners, better screens and built-in multimedia playback will be very doable in 2008. Granted, it may not take this shape, but it will happen sooner than later.

More images of the mockup DS here (http://gizmodo.com/photogallery/3dnintendods2)

wiggy fuzz
January 2nd, 2008, 19:40
is it made out of marshmallow? please say it's made out of marshmallow. a marshmallow ds would make my day :cool:

EDIT: looks too much like the ipod range :confused:... i never really liked the ipod styling

cal360
January 2nd, 2008, 19:54
Nintendo should use that concept it's amazing and if it was out now I would buy it straight away. The colours are brilliant and the design looks comfortable and practical.

gutbub
January 2nd, 2008, 20:18
OMG, that is freaking sexy, and it's just a console. Dude, I'd pay $200 for that thing, even though it won't have gba support, and I wouldn't be able to use my MMD, who cares, it's just that sweet.

ICE
January 2nd, 2008, 21:30
Wow if only it were real.

240-185
January 2nd, 2008, 21:42
Nice work, but how about official Big N accessories that must be plugged into the Slot-2 (Like, erm, Rumble Pak or Memory Pak)?

redsyrup
January 2nd, 2008, 22:15
I bet Sony's and Nintendo's portables will be the bomb in the next gen, we need integrated rumble, flash ram and camera. Larger screens are just the frosting.

____anders____
January 2nd, 2008, 22:37
if it has a lot better hardware specs than the ds it will be a hit..

looks really cool if it would look someting like that.

Mini Moose
January 3rd, 2008, 01:23
I sure hope that Nintendo doesn't do a design that looks like that. It looks like a bar of soap.

kcajblue
January 3rd, 2008, 01:41
the design does look awesome.
but i dont think its the right look for the ds.

Seven7
January 3rd, 2008, 02:34
You know the saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it? I think that apply's here. While the DS lite is prone to a flaw or two, (hinge's breaking, and I heard something about the touchscreens on newer models?), in my opinion they dont require an entire redesign of the system.

Having said that, i will admit, it does look cool.

Tikker
January 3rd, 2008, 02:53
it looks great except that the top screen would smash into the buttons

there's a reason why the top and bottom screens are the same size on the current model

mcdougall57
January 3rd, 2008, 03:07
like the styling ;)

abeisgreat
January 3rd, 2008, 06:14
Wow sexy stuff. If the DS got internal memory maybe a download service like the WII has. And a new design like this or something like a DS slider

wolfpack
January 3rd, 2008, 06:28
looks like a flattened marshmellow

spinal_cord
January 3rd, 2008, 13:57
Shame, there be a bunch of legal reasons why Nintendo wouldn't use the design though, they'd have to pay this guy a whole pile of money to use the design also.

Da_ALC
January 3rd, 2008, 15:57
Dispite what the modeller has said, you cannot re-size any of the DS screens without having to scale up the dot pitch with it, makign for a absolutelly terrible resolution. The DS's res is low/bad enough as it stands.
It is a nice design tho but im pretty sure the next DS will look nothing like this.

wiggy fuzz
January 3rd, 2008, 18:27
a smaller screen will reduce the dpi, however. that's why the gbmicro screen looks better than the gba sp one

i'd like a smaller ds

i found a kind of flaw with the ds stylus, i reckon it collects dust, and gets caught on the stylus and scratching the screen.