PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: Recharge Station kills Wii Remotes

Shrygue
January 3rd, 2008, 18:35
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=178468)

Wii owners who have opted for a third party recharge station could be putting their Wii Remotes at risk, it's emerged.

Offending hardware Psyclone Wii Recharge Station apparently fails to stop charging the Wii Remote once the battery is full.

This predictably causes Remotes to overheat and melt. In extreme cases, this has left noticeable scorch marks inside the Wii Remote, rendering it useless.

A warning on the Psyclone website advices users to not leave batteries in the recharge unit for an extended amount of time, although how long 'an extended amount of time' actually lasts is not made clear.

Nintendo hasn't announced a rechargeable system for the Wii Remotes, but given that 29 out of 31 reviews on Amazon give the Psyclone Wii Recharge Station only one star, sticking to disposable batteries (or rechargeable) until an official device is released doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

Tetchy
January 7th, 2008, 17:19
Thats handy to know because I was going to buy 1 of these.

souLLy
January 7th, 2008, 18:01
I've got a recharge station and it's fine, much more convenient and economical than replacing batteries. Recharge it til it's full then take them off the dock, of course I wouldn't leave it sitting in the dock after it's full in the same way you ruin mobile phone batteries if you leave it recharging constantly even after the battery is fully charged.

Zimond
January 7th, 2008, 20:19
of course I wouldn't leave it sitting in the dock after it's full in the same way you ruin mobile phone batteries if you leave it recharging constantly even after the battery is fully charged.

so, do you take an alarm clock with you that tells you "Oh, wait, i have to unplugg a batterie from its recharge station"? I mean, come on who wants to check all his batteries regulary if they are full already? Its simply an unaccaptable impertinence of the manufactor to tell their customers that they have to take an eye on the recharge level all the time.

souLLy
January 8th, 2008, 07:37
so, do you take an alarm clock with you that tells you "Oh, wait, i have to unplugg a batterie from its recharge station"? I mean, come on who wants to check all his batteries regulary if they are full already? Its simply an unaccaptable impertinence of the manufactor to tell their customers that they have to take an eye on the recharge level all the time.

it only takes an hour at most to recharge I think, there's a light on the front that turns from red to green when it's done- I guess I just see it as less of an issue than most people.