PDA

View Full Version : Apple to Start Shipping Macs with Blu-ray at Macworld?

Shrygue
January 3rd, 2008, 20:02
via Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/340080/apple-to-start-shipping-macs-with-blu+ray-at-macworld)

According to analyst Shaw Wu, Apple has plans to start selling computers with Blu-ray drives built-in. It'll announce this at Macworld, and immediately thereafter the HD DVD camp will gulp audibly. That is, if it's merely a Blu-ray drive. Wu covers his ass by also saying that there's "a smaller chance Apple may use a combo Blu-ray/HD DVD drive to ensure full compatibility and not get involved in the format wars." Or, heck, they might not do either.

I guarantee one of those three things will happen at Macworld. I feel like an analyst! If Apple does go with Blu-ray (or combo drives, for that matter), look for them to first go in overhauled Mac Pros, which are sure to be bananas-expensive. What do you think, would you spring for a high-def disc drive if it was offered?

the_eternal_dark
January 4th, 2008, 01:15
I wouldn't. Both formats are crazy expensive at the moment and are of no use to me for the time being. I don't see any (pc or mac) games or applications coming out on a high density media any time soon either. Not of any use, unless you have a hard-on for high def movies, but then again, why watch movies on your computer when you could spend less altogether and watch it on your hd-dvd/blue-ray player via the tv.