PDA

View Full Version : The "Rating System"

that1guywiththeface
January 3rd, 2008, 23:09
Okay, has anyone else noticed in regards to ESRB, the caategories are absolutely assinine? Age grouping is completely innaccurate for various reasons.

First off, maturity level. "M" is for 17 year-olds? Mature my ass!! This is the age group which has a large portion of the dumbasses, potheads, and otherwise life-threatiningly stupid indiviuals, no offense to those of you here, because obviously you have the minimal intelligence required to use a forum that they lack. A lot of gamers are highly inteligent, for example, Dark_Alex, or any of the other programmers whose names I don't know. The people who create the problems that are supposedly a result of playing video games are likely if not definitely already metally impaired, unstable, retarded, disturbed, or otherwise disfunctional. At the worst, the games weree the last nail in the coffin. A kid commits suicide after losing at a video game. And it was completely unrelated that he had no friends, low self-esteem, and skitsufrenia. A guy loses his job due to excessive WoW playing. And it was completely unrelated that he was incompetant, had a severe lack of hygiene, and an overall negative attitude towards customers. A teen fails in school because of video games. An the fact that he was autistic and mentally retarded had nothing to do with it. A man beats a hooker after playing GTA. It has nothing to do with the fact that he was a stoner, alcoholic, and had a criminal record full of accounts of domestic violence. All of these are sarcastic examples of what the media likes to hand out.

A more accurate rating system would be based-upon AND list the amount of blood, brutality, and the intended age market. No, what America has is E,T,M, and the completely irrelevant AO. F---you ESRB!!!:mad:

Buddy4point0
January 4th, 2008, 01:38
This is the age group which has a large portion of the dumbasses, potheads, and otherwise life-threatiningly stupid indiviuals
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81076

ninja9393
January 4th, 2008, 04:39

lol, but i kinda see were this guy is going with this only on the part with the rating system, not the 17 year old thing

Shadowblind
January 4th, 2008, 04:52

Good point...

ExcruciationX
January 5th, 2008, 18:37
The potheads I've talked to seem alright.

Becides that, I agree with you.

Man
January 6th, 2008, 02:55
What do you expect to happen, media follows the path of least resistance, it would be too hard to accually look into anything.

on another note, leave the stoners alone, all they do is sit around, play games, and eat alot. I know i was one.

Buddy4point0
January 6th, 2008, 19:06
What do you expect to happen, media follows the path of least resistance, it would be too hard to accually look into anything.

on another note, leave the stoners alone, all they do is sit around, play games, and eat alot. I know i was one.

well i skate too :D

quzar
January 7th, 2008, 20:19
Why not complain about movie ratings while you're at it? Oh no, they only have G, PG, PG-13, R, and NC-17 how will we cope?

The ESRB system is modeled almost entirely off the standard american movie rating system. NC-17 is AO, R is M, PG-13 is T, PG is E10+, and G is E.

They work almost identically and both systems, each having sets of descriptive text to choose from to describe the contents.

Mature is just a term used to help easily distinguish a category based on age. It's a label not intended to connote anything else.

Get over it.

Eviltaco64
January 7th, 2008, 20:30
Stoners just chill, play Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, and eat like Man said. They're no threat.
But people make them look like they're on LSD and they see things and talk to dogs on TV.

On the other note, he's right that people blame video games as the biggest problem of our economy and culture.

AvengedSevenfold Fan
January 7th, 2008, 20:43
You know, if there wasn't an FYE at the mall by my house full of stoners who sell to minors, I would totally care also.

lmtlmt
January 8th, 2008, 11:14
In the great land of Australia, yes i am talking about the greatest country to ever grace this little planet of ours called earth. Anyway back to the point, here in Australia Video game ratings and movie ratings are exactly the same, well accept video games have no R rating. The system is as follows, G, PG, M, MA15+, R18+, if you wish i shal go into further detail about this.

Shadowblind
January 8th, 2008, 12:31
Think of it this way: This is one of the major things stopping people like Lieberman and Jackie from getting anyone to give a crap what they think about violence in video games. I like the rating system, even if they really don't make sense some time.

Shrygue
January 8th, 2008, 14:04
I don't think there's anything wrong with the ratings system, they're just fine as they are. If anyone's complaining about it, it's probably because they wanted a particular game where the rating was higher than their age, so they'll have to wait it out or find another way around it - if they're that desperate.

that1guywiththeface
January 8th, 2008, 20:37
Think of it this way: This is one of the major things stopping people like Lieberman and Jackie from getting anyone to give a crap what they think about violence in video games. I like the rating system, even if they really don't make sense some time.

That is true. And for the record I am not a stoner.... yet.:) But here's another thing: Man Hunt 2 (edited version) is grouped in the same category of games as Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, as well as other historically based games. How does that work? Man Hunt 2 is as gratuitously violent as possible, while CoD4 is pretty historically accurate. No, I don't care about CoD4, but that was the best example. And than we have "alcohol references" and "drug references" for T games (I'm 15 and my parents still hesitate to let me own these). The soldier shot a crack dealer and the Final Fantasy guy got a mission while at a bar:eek: So what? They should elaborate about the reference. For drugs, is it a reference for or against drugs, the same goes for alcohol, for or against; if for than is it "let us share our food and wine" in an RPG or "WHOOOOOO!!!!! FREE BOOZE!!!" Just a slight difference there.

As for the above poster, the only thing I MIGHT apply that to is MGS4, although I would be seventeen by the time I could afford it and a PS3.

On the useless stoner note, I beg to differ. I have a cousin, who is well known to be a stoner, makes glass art. In his basement. Where he smokes weed. In the basement around the keln (furnace thing) is 6 propane tanks, 12 oxygen tanks, all surrounded by exposed, frayed wiring. He lives on OSU campus. One dropped joint or spark, and he'll be on CNN. The explosion juuuuust might harm the surrounding people.