PDA

View Full Version : Leading developers reveal PS3's untapped potential

wraggster
January 4th, 2008, 16:38
While some developers have been critical of PS3's complex architecture (yes, Gabe Newell from Valve, we're pointing at you) many more are praising the power and potential of the machine.

"The amount of action we're able to put on the screen at 60 frames per second dwarfs what we were able to do a year ago at 30 frames per second," claims Insomniac's (Resistance, Ratchet) Chief Creative Officer Brian Hastings, "What's most exciting is I think we'll see just as big a leap from our second generation engine to our third as we did from first to second."

Fallout 3's Executive Producer Todd Howard - from Oblivion developer Bethesda - understands that PS3 "has more than enough power. No single game is using it all yet - not even close". Back at E3 in July ‘07, Mercenaries 2 Lead Designer Scott Warner claimed their game was only using 30% of PS3's power - while EA's Chief Visual Officer Glenn Entis claimed their launch games like Fight Night 3 only tapped 20%. The figures sound hokum, but it wasn't until five years into PS2's life cycle that games tapped even 90% of its power - a statistic measured by Sony's Performance Analyser tools, yet to be released on PS3.

http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps3/game/features/article.jsp?sectionId=1003&articleId=20071220152324335039&releaseId=20060314115917309058

lmtlmt
January 5th, 2008, 03:25
yay woohooo

Veskgar
January 5th, 2008, 10:04
Hell yeah! As a huge unexpected surprise I just received a PlayStation 3 from my girlfriend so now I'm pumped about the PS3 more than ever.

This is why industry analysts predict that the PS3 has the longest potential life-span. 10 years I believe. If the PS2 is still doing as well as it is 8 years later, that prediction is not too hard to fathom.

And what the PS3 has for it that the PS2 didn't is upgradeable firmware and easier expandability. I will admit that the PS3 has had a slow start and there are still not a lot of games for it. But there are plenty of above average games to satisfy even the most critical of gamers.

Then, with the added interaction with the PSP, the PS3 is one tough contender in a tortoise vs. hare story. Slow and steady wins the race. Good things come to those who wait. I think the PS3 will start making jaws drop from here on.