PDA

View Full Version : Who Wants 30GB Of Storage on Your PSP

wraggster
January 4th, 2008, 16:45
PVP of Acidmods has posted a video with a PSP with an amazing 30GB of storage, heres the video

http://www.youtube.com/v/ltRTrtFyqUU

Discuss Via Comments

Mr.Denny
January 4th, 2008, 16:59
Impressive but too invasive for me.

Hood_Jr
January 4th, 2008, 17:28
That's freaking crazy. I would put so much stuff on my PSP.

PSPdemon
January 4th, 2008, 17:47
sadly this is just using a SSD.... NOT a HDD...

SSD is just to dam expensive still... however.... IR Shell can easily read SSD things ( unlike HDD which requires a host between the HDD and the PSP )

Good to see though someone doing a mass storage solution ( just wish it was done with a HDD )

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

Hood_Jr
January 4th, 2008, 18:11
What is SDD?

mike_jmg
January 4th, 2008, 18:17
So this is no HDD, damn I thought they got it, I was really spending time thinking how that could be done.

Although, It's still a great achievement, but I would've preferred not to have the usb cable on the outside

Would it be posible to somehow access the memory stick slot on the inside and conect the SSD there instead of using usb host? So it would act like a giant Memory stick

Also how much battery does the SDD needs?

Buddy4point0
January 4th, 2008, 18:25
thats awsome.
the only thing is that i wish you could use it as a normal memory card

eatnooM
January 4th, 2008, 18:53
What is SDD?

That's SSD, a Solid State Drive, no platters and such, something without moving parts such as Flash memory, rather self-explanatory once you can figure out the bloody acronym really, something that's always easier if you actually get it right :)

gamefreak199101
January 4th, 2008, 19:05
all he did is liek share space with his pc and psp

Zin0099
January 4th, 2008, 19:11
sounds cool but why use my umd door maybe an external sdd that could link still on the usb port but would take up the whole back of the psp like double memory expander could also be built for it too and also have a way to have an extra battery put in so the psp last longer

so a 30gb plus your mem stick 8gb

xg917
January 4th, 2008, 19:20
DAMMM!! i want 30GB lmao

Veskgar
January 4th, 2008, 19:28
I would like to see a commercial solution to mass storage on the PSP. Battery consumption would be a huge problem if it was a USB attached mini portable HDD.

I think a 32GB high capacity & high speed PRO Duo memory stick would be the best way to go. That would be the perfect amount of storage for the PSP. Especially with SONY opening up more options for downloaded media via PlayStation Network.

I don't use UMD's in my PSP anymore and haven't for some time. I buy UMD games or ask for them as gifts because I'm a collector and I like having the game manual. Then there is the fact that I'd hate to see my favorite games' developers suffer from piracy. Most of my PSP games are still sealed in original packaging and I play the .CSO backup of the game off a 4GB Ultra II memory stick. And I've been using my PSP Slim for watching video lately. The Slim PSP WOULD be so much better than an iPod or iPhone if it had more storage.

leonalchemist
January 4th, 2008, 19:47
lol the theme looks messed up
cool but dang looks hectic to add on a psp
it would be cool to have an official one like 40 gig or more.
Price? ^^ something like $300 so no thx u

blaz3d
January 4th, 2008, 21:37
sounds cool but why use my umd door maybe an external sdd that could link still on the usb port but would take up the whole back of the psp like double memory expander could also be built for it too and also have a way to have an extra battery put in so the psp last longer

so a 30gb plus your mem stick 8gb

nice idea, unfortunatly i doubt you will see a commercial version of this. id like to see a separate device, possibly powered by the psp's extra external 5v pin (next to usb, gps & camera uses it) although i don't know if SSD can be powered like that.

peace

Predator
January 4th, 2008, 21:56
Here's some news about a 832GB SSD. (http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/04/bitmicro-introduces-832gb-ssd-for-ces-2008/)

PSPdemon
January 4th, 2008, 22:15
yea...

this is why this mod is not exactly practical...

in that link it shows how much a 128 gig SSD cost....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609245

$3,219.99 for 128 gigs?

32 gigs cost between 600 and up.. i think it would be more practical to wait for the 32 gig MS Pro Duo than to hard mod a expensive SSD in there

though... thats just my opinion

b_simpson1999
January 4th, 2008, 22:43
cool when it on sale lol

Codaz
January 4th, 2008, 23:36
Apparently this is not an SSD, i think.

It's an psp connected to a mini harddrive.

The harddrive is accessed through another pcb, which is implemented behind the umd door by PvP.

Great work, i hope there are some internal pictures coming up !

robocelot
January 5th, 2008, 00:24
Apparently this is not an SSD, i think.

It's an psp connected to a mini harddrive.

The harddrive is accessed through another pcb, which is implemented behind the umd door by PvP.

Great work, i hope there are some internal pictures coming up !
The PSP acting as USB host would be great. Being able to hook up any external hard drive you wanted would be awesome.

I wonder though if this is just a USB-to-go compliant hard drive (meaning it can act as host)? We've had that solution for a few years now but it's very kludgy.

Anger
January 5th, 2008, 01:20
im wondering why its not possible to use the psp as a device host itself allowing access to usb based hdd's without any cludgy hardware. i dont fully understand why it hasnt been done but it would seem to be more practical.

i believe all pvp has done is taken a 32gig ipod, removed everything from the standard casing, removed the lcd panel, battery and clickwheel, installed linux and used it exclusively as a device host. i think the ipod hard drive is small enough to fit inside the psp and hes most likely using the psp power that normal powers the umd to power the ipod internally.

i have had my ipod apart and i could do this however it would be a nightmare trying to do it - i believe these guys could easily pull that off assuming the ipod is capable of being used as a device host. to test it all you would need is an ipod converted to run linux and set to load usbhostfs, then simply connect the 2 devices via the usb ports. ill be doing some research as to whether the ipod usb can be used as a device host and if so i may try this mod myself.

i really would like to know in advance if this is how he did it so i wouldnt be wasting my time.

Cloudhunter
January 5th, 2008, 01:37
im wondering why its not possible to use the psp as a device host itself allowing access to usb based hdd's without any cludgy hardware. i dont fully understand why it hasnt been done but it would seem to be more practical.

i believe all pvp has done is taken a 32gig ipod, removed everything from the standard casing, removed the lcd panel, battery and clickwheel, installed linux and used it exclusively as a device host. i think the ipod hard drive is small enough to fit inside the psp and hes most likely using the psp power that normal powers the umd to power the ipod internally.

i have had my ipod apart and i could do this however it would be a nightmare trying to do it - i believe these guys could easily pull that off assuming the ipod is capable of being used as a device host. to test it all you would need is an ipod converted to run linux and set to load usbhostfs, then simply connect the 2 devices via the usb ports. ill be doing some research as to whether the ipod usb can be used as a device host and if so i may try this mod myself.

i really would like to know in advance if this is how he did it so i wouldnt be wasting my time.

He didn't do it like that. He's got some sort of USBHOST programmable PCB, to which he's ported the usbhostfs driver, and made it interface with a USB Mass Storage Device.

iPod Linux doesn't have a USB stack right now, so usbhostfs ported to it is out of the question, and is a long way off - they don't even have standard disk mode without using Apple's firmware.

Cloudy

Anger
January 5th, 2008, 01:43
yeah i discovered the post on hackaday that explains it.

thanks anyway - i didnt know if it was possible and now i know it will be and atm its practically impossible without good programming and hardware knowledge. a shame.

perhaps he can share schematics and the software in the future that would allow regular people to do this. in fact i would have made it an external mod that could be attached to the back of the psp. anyway congrats go out to him for achieving this feat.

psp411
January 5th, 2008, 02:32
This is cool.. cant wait for instructions to do this mod... could use the xtra space for homebrew and music/videos(dont rly play psp games anymore =P) :D :cool:

borgqueenx
January 5th, 2008, 10:35
i need a tutorial for this=D

RICO100
January 5th, 2008, 16:18
Sony will change but was very well done

F:U:C:K YOU SONY ha ha ha

borgqueenx
January 5th, 2008, 16:28
how expansive would this be?

DarthPaul
January 5th, 2008, 20:19
It should say "Who Doesn't Want...?" lol.