PDA

View Full Version : Warner Goes Blu-ray Exclusive

wraggster
January 4th, 2008, 22:13
In response to consumer demand, Warner Bros. Entertainment will release its high-definition DVD titles exclusively in the Blu-ray disc format beginning later this year, it was announced today by Barry Meyer, Chairman & CEO, Warner Bros. and Kevin Tsujihara, President, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group.

"Warner Bros.' move to exclusively release in the Blu-ray disc format is a strategic decision focused on the long term and the most direct way to give consumers what they want," said Meyer. "The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers."

Warner Home Video will continue to release its titles in standard DVD format and Blu-ray. After a short window following their standard DVD and Blu-ray releases, all new titles will continue to be released in HD DVD until the end of May 2008.

"Warner Bros. has produced in both high-definition formats in an effort to provide consumer choice, foster mainstream adoption and drive down hardware prices," said Jeff Bewkes, President and Chief Executive Officer, Time Warner Inc., the parent company of Warner Bros. Entertainment. "Today's decision by Warner Bros. to distribute in a single format comes at the right time and is the best decision both for consumers and Time Warner."

"A two-format landscape has led to consumer confusion and indifference toward high definition, which has kept the technology from reaching mass adoption and becoming the important revenue stream that it can be for the industry," said Tsujihara. "Consumers have clearly chosen Blu-ray, and we believe that recognizing this preference is the right step in making this great home entertainment experience accessible to the widest possible audience. Warner Bros. has worked very closely with the Toshiba Corporation in promoting high definition media and we have enormous respect for their efforts. We look forward to working with them on other projects in the future.

F9zDark
January 5th, 2008, 02:51
Nice. And who says Blu-Ray isn't winning? Clearly, Warner Brothers wouldn't have went Blu-Ray exclusive if it wasn't.

JKKDARK
January 5th, 2008, 03:05
Fcuk you Warner

F9zDark
January 5th, 2008, 06:40
Fcuk you Warner

Now now, don't be such a fangirl. HD-DVD has been losing this war for the better part of a year now. Its no surprise to you, or anyone, that its losing its support?

Microshit, where are you now with your deep pockets? Gonna buy out some more companies to abandon blu-ray and adopt HD-DVD?

Gene
January 5th, 2008, 07:07
Now now, don't be such a fangirl. HD-DVD has been losing this war for the better part of a year now. Its no surprise to you, or anyone, that its losing its support?

Microshit, where are you now with your deep pockets? Gonna buy out some more companies to abandon blu-ray and adopt HD-DVD?

I believe the correct term is Microshaft.:D

But anyway, HD DVDs have been losing support for a long, long time now and this shouldn't come to anyone as a surprise. I have a Playstation 3 so this doesn't affect me in any sort of negative way.

Also no matter what most retail stores tell you, Blu Ray has been more successful than HD DVDs, and the only reason those retailers say otherwise is because they sell HD DVDs and demeaning a product is against policy.

DCergo
January 5th, 2008, 09:15
You rock, Warner

Veskgar
January 5th, 2008, 09:55
This is great news. I just received a PlayStation 3 80GB model from my girlfriend VERY unexpectedly and for a while now have been slowly collecting Blu-Ray movies to replace my DVD library.

I am a huge video freak and have studied and compared the two formats. Blu-Ray is superior and has the best staying power. It has more long-term potential and consumers really don't need 2 Hi-Def movie formats.

I guess with major players like Microsoft supporting HD-DVD we will not see HD-DVD just suddenly die off. But it will be fun watching the slow and painful demise if HD-DVD supporters remain stubborn.

In the end, the consumer has the right to choose and make their own decision. IF they want to short change themselves and opt for a inferior format, its their choice.

I spread the word to everyone that they should go Blu-Ray. If certain movies are not yet on Blu-Ray, they soon will be.

JKKDARK
January 5th, 2008, 15:06
HD-DVD has been losing this war for the better part of a year now. Its no surprise to you, or anyone, that its losing its support?
Xbox 360 sold more than 17 million units worldwide, PS3 sold less than 6 million units worldwide.
Obviously PS3 and the crappy Blu-Ray are failing miserably.

Gizmo356
January 5th, 2008, 15:35
Xbox 360 sold more than 17 million units worldwide, PS3 sold less than 6 million units worldwide.

LOL I'm sure less then half of the 17 million have th HD DVD addon and I think standalone blu ray has been selling better for quite a while now.

F9zDark
January 5th, 2008, 16:30

Obviously you're just a miserable bitch because you cannot afford a PS3.

Gizmo356
January 5th, 2008, 16:34

LMFAO! If you would have said that to anyone else someone might have reported it

Sonicboy 101
January 5th, 2008, 17:14

Rofl, you just made my day.
I am very happy about Warner backing Blu-ray. I just got a PS3 so I'll use them. :)

DCergo
January 5th, 2008, 17:22
These two Warner threads should be merged, no point in spewing the same shit twice, but here we go:

Blu-ray standalone sales were on par with HDDVD standalone sales, but this holiday season, blu-ray standalones outsold hddvd standalones, despite costing significantly more. For the last 52 weeks, each and every single week, Blu-ray movies have outsold HDDVD movies, as charted by Nielsen Videoscan, on average 2:1 in the US. It gets even better for Blu-ray outside of North America. In Europe, it's 3:1. In Japan, it's 9:1. In Australia, it's 20:1, all in favor of Blu-ray.

Life-to-date sales of the Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on hit 269,000 in November, representing a 3.4% attach rate to the 360 console itself.

source: NPD, story by Gamasutra (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16640)

A far, far cry from 17 million.

However, each and every PS3, is a blu-ray capable, which Toshiba embarrassingly leaves out of their press releases when comparing sales. You can marginalize the PS3 all you want, but it's effect on the hi-def war is irrefutable and pronounced, and pretty much "won" the war for the BDA.

Have some dignity by trying not to come off like a disgruntled retard who is clueless about the reality of the situation by buying into HDDVD damage control.

JKKDARK
January 5th, 2008, 19:40

so did you buy a 3DO when it was alive? You will not buy a system (even if it's cheap or not) if you don't see many good games there.

DPyro
January 5th, 2008, 21:17
Once again JKKDARK, you prove how stupid you are. No ones buying a 3DO because its not even this gen tech. Going way off topic like that tells me your scared of whats to come for PS3/Blu-ray as you keep spamming all Blu-ray topics with nonsense drivel.

JKKDARK
January 5th, 2008, 21:44
Once again JKKDARK, you prove how stupid you are. No ones buying a 3DO because its not even this gen tech. Going way off topic like that tells me your scared of whats to come for PS3/Blu-ray as you keep spamming all Blu-ray topics with nonsense drivel.

Learn to read. I said when it was alive.

DPyro
January 5th, 2008, 21:48
Even so, you keep rambling off topic on stupid crap that no one cares about. Please, GTFO.

DCergo
January 5th, 2008, 21:50

You're witnessing a meltdown in progress, it's going on everywhere. You can easily distinguish between movie fans who chose hddvd solely who are disappointed at the news, rightfully so, and the fanboy retards who are doing what you see above. It's "Sony this" and "Sony that", "xbox > *", "whaa whaa whaaaa" "PS3 raped my mommy and warner sucks, etc etc". The shock must be too much to bear now that finality is apparent. You didn't see a fraction of this when Paramount flipped.

I have to say, the denial, damage control, and cognitive dissonance is amusing to watch...

JKKDARK
January 5th, 2008, 21:56
Even so, you keep rambling off topic on stupid crap that no one cares about. Please, GTFO.

But by the F9zDark logic (and you agree with him), you still didn't answer my question about the 3DO.
Why did you reply without reading my question correctly?

DPyro
January 5th, 2008, 21:59
Did I buy a 3DO...hmmm at that time I would have never heard of it, it wasn't backed by a known company and Sony had just came out with the PlayStation (and 3DO backed out of the competition). So no, I didn't buy a 3DO as it had no backing, no marketing and was way too expensive for the tech inside.

JKKDARK
January 5th, 2008, 22:10
Did I buy a 3DO...hmmm at that time I would have never heard of it, it wasn't backed by a known company
Of course I forgot you live under a rock, so you don't know about Panasonic, Sanyo and Goldstar.

and Sony had just came out with the PlayStation (and 3DO backed out of the competition).
3DO release date: US September, 1993
PS1 release date: JP December 3, 1994 ; NA September 9, 1995 ; EU September 29, 1995

Yeah the PS1 appeared too soon :rolleyes:

So no, I didn't buy a 3DO as it had no backing, no marketing
Wrong, it was well promoted and got massive attention.

and was way too expensive for the tech inside.
Also Sony is not really winning money with the PS3.

DPyro
January 5th, 2008, 22:24
Ok...so it wasn't backed by actual GAMING companies- SORRY (what do I know about the 3DO, I was in grade 5 or 6 at the time and all anyone cared about was Nintendo/Sega/Sony). And the PS3 is not expensive for the tech inside, as well Sony has actually had success in the gaming market. But whatever keeps you sane.

JKKDARK
January 5th, 2008, 22:42
Ok...so it wasn't backed by actual GAMING companies- SORRY (what do I know about the 3DO, I was in grade 5 or 6 at the time and all anyone cared about was Nintendo/Sega/Sony). And the PS3 is not expensive for the tech inside, as well Sony has actually had success in the gaming market. But whatever keeps you sane.
Owned. Next time don't forget to add these important words.

so when you were in grade 5/6 you cared about a developer/published called Sony. What about other developers/publishers? I'm sure you didn't care about Sony until 1996.

DCergo
January 5th, 2008, 22:52
As if the 3DO has any bearing on current reality. The 3DO, debuting at $699, barely moved 2 million units before tanking for good. That's what we call, "not winning any money", and an extremely poor (pathetic I might say) comparison to draw with the PS3, who is still selling - 3rd place or not. Sony expects to break even on the hardware any time now if they already haven't. (They've publically stated as much, so they must have driven costs down enough so that they're close, within this fiscal year) And sales have not slowed down. One year in they've managed to sell what seems to be about 9 million units and it looks like MS managed 17 million, in twice as long. Fact, Xbox1 had a single profitable quarter in its short 4 year existance, but it did nothing to offset the $4 billion dollar black hole it cost MS. Fact, the 360 is close to breakeven, and may have just surpassed it, but MS had to sink $1 billion to account for RRoD plague. Fact, Sony has profited on all its previous consoles, including the PSP. You can play this stupid perception game any way you want but the facts speak for themselves and paint you like a fool the longer you keep this up.

Can this get more retarded?

JKKDARK
January 5th, 2008, 22:55
As if the 3DO has any bearing on current reality. The 3DO, debuting at $699, barely moved 2 million units before tanking for good. That's what we call, "not winning any money", and an extremely poor (pathetic I might say) comparison to draw with the PS3, who is still selling - 3rd place or not. Sony expects to break even on the hardware any time now if they already haven't. (They've publically stated as much, so they must have driven costs down enough so that they're close, within this fiscal year) And sales have not slowed down. One year in they've managed to sell what seems to be about 9 million units and it looks like MS managed 17 million, in twice as long. Fact, Xbox1 had a single profitable quarter in its short 4 year existance, but it did nothing to offset the $4 billion dollar black hole it cost MS. Fact, the 360 is close to breakeven, and may have just surpassed it, but MS had to sink $1 billion to account for RRoD plague. Fact, Sony has profited on all its previous consoles, including the PSP. You can play this stupid perception game any way you want but the facts speak for themselves and paint you like a fool the longer you keep this up.

Can this get more retarded?

lol wrong.

PlayStation 3 sold 5.59 million units worldwide.

F9zDark
January 5th, 2008, 23:12
But by the F9zDark logic (and you agree with him), you still didn't answer my question about the 3DO.
Why did you reply without reading my question correctly?

My logic was "being nice", as it was the only reason I could come up with, aside from being completely insane.

Why? Because there is no reason for such blind hate (of which I will call you a terrorist, because they are the exact same way, except replace "console" with "religion") of the PS3. I may not like 90% of the games on the Wii and 360, but I don't hate the consoles per se (and even my points to solidify why I don't own either system is concrete: Wii mote isn't perfect and I ain't paying to play games online with Xbox Live).

Quite frankly this behavior is rather abnormal. Delusional thinking is a serious problem; maybe you should get it checked out.

DCergo
January 5th, 2008, 23:14
lol wrong.

PlayStation 3 sold 5.59 million units worldwide.

Hahaha, you've got nothing as usual. :rofl:

Ok, let's play. Do you have the December NPD, Media Create and Euro numbers handy?

JKKDARK
January 5th, 2008, 23:16
My logic was "being nice", as it was the only reason I could come up with, aside from being completely insane.

Why? Because there is no reason for such blind hate (of which I will call you a terrorist, because they are the exact same way, except replace "console" with "religion") of the PS3. I may not like 90% of the games on the Wii and 360, but I don't hate the consoles per se (and even my points to solidify why I don't own either system is concrete: Wii mote isn't perfect and I ain't paying to play games online with Xbox Live).

Quite frankly this behavior is rather abnormal. Delusional thinking is a serious problem; maybe you should get it checked out.

No, your logic (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2147997652&postcount=10) is calling "miserable bitch" to the people who didn't buy a PS3 or can't afford it actually.

Sonicboy 101
January 5th, 2008, 23:19
Oh boy... I smell a flame war coming along.

F9zDark
January 5th, 2008, 23:24
No, your logic (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2147997652&postcount=10) is calling "miserable bitch" to the people who didn't buy a PS3 or can't afford it actually.

Ok terrorist. I was calling you a miserable bitch, because quite frankly, I don't see anyone else who cannot afford or didn't buy a PS3 acting like a total douche bag and ruining the PS3 forums for people that actually come here to discuss things INTELLIGENTLY.

Hey $n!pR, can we just ban her already? I am really getting sick of this bullshit. I have never met anyone more immature and childish about anything in my life.

There is no reason we or anyone else on these forums should have to deal with the constant flamebaiting.

DPyro
January 5th, 2008, 23:31
Unfortunately its not up to me to ban JKKDARK as s/he is a news poster for some odd reason.

Shadowblind
January 5th, 2008, 23:43
Unfortunately its not up to me to ban JKKDARK as s/he is a news poster for some odd reason.

Well, banning is really just not acceptable if this is the cause. An argument of this basis belongs in these forums, as stupid as some of the debaters may sound. 'Course, i guess the whole format wars doesn't pertain to consoles in the least, but hey, its entertainment.

Another question: Anyone know where they came up with the name Blu-Ray? maybe a "blue ray" that reads the disk?

PS Yes, I do know mods make the rules. I've been banned for talking about DBZ on a kingdom hearts forum.

DCergo
January 5th, 2008, 23:57
Another question: Anyone know where they came up with the name Blu-Ray? maybe a "blue ray" that reads the disk?

It's precisely that, a blu-laser (arguably violet for some machines) diode that operates at 405nm wavelengths (the shorter wavelength allows it to read greater densities, hence more data on a disc). DVDs and CDs require red lasers that operate on 650/780nm wavelengths.

Accordion
January 6th, 2008, 00:18
here is a question:

Is using extremely deep pockets to fuel inadequate hardware/software for no other reason than to leech market share of established companies a good business decision?

If the plebs need some examples, Zune, HD-DVD, Xbox, 360.

None of these products were developed for profit, they are intended to decrease the profit of others. FACT.

When manufacturers play fair, the consumer wins.

I confess i have huge respect for SCE, they have provided the largest range and quality software across three consoles, and continue the trend with PS3. They do not abandon current hardware for new releases. SCE created the best home games console of all time both in sales and actual quality, the same foundations are in place for the PS3 and after the first year have proved their worth while also providing a superb lineup for this new year.

JKKDARK
January 6th, 2008, 00:30
Ok terrorist. I was calling you a miserable bitch, because quite frankly, I don't see anyone else who cannot afford or didn't buy a PS3 acting like a total douche bag and ruining the PS3 forums for people that actually come here to discuss things INTELLIGENTLY.
But you didn't say it in in that post. Your reason for calling me a "miserable bitch" was that I can't afford a PS3.

Triv1um
January 6th, 2008, 00:40
But you didn't say it in in that post. Your reason for calling me a "miserable bitch" was that I can't afford a PS3.

Just GTFO JKK!

Your really starting to piss me off.

This is a PS3 thread, if you can't put up a valid/reasonable argument just **** off.

If you hate the PS3 so badly, you don't need to be constantly in the PS3 thread bashing on other peoples opinions and putting out shit arguments.

I don't like the xbox. Am I always in the 360 section going "PS3 > 360... Lolz"? No!

I speak for all of us when I say GTFO unless you have something relevant and fair to say.

F9zDark
January 6th, 2008, 03:00
Just GTFO JKK!

Your really starting to piss me off.

This is a PS3 thread, if you can't put up a valid/reasonable argument just **** off.

If you hate the PS3 so badly, you don't need to be constantly in the PS3 thread bashing on other peoples opinions and putting out shit arguments.

I don't like the xbox. Am I always in the 360 section going "PS3 > 360... Lolz"? No!

I speak for all of us when I say GTFO unless you have something relevant and fair to say.

Thank you. Seriously, I think she should be suspended for this behavior. Being a DCEmu News Poster should mean that she lives up to a higher standard while on these boards.