PDA

View Full Version : The DCEmu Interview - Question 5 - Whats the greatest Game Ever ?

wraggster
January 4th, 2008, 22:59
http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/dcemu2008.gif

A feature i did a few years ago and one im going to repeat now is the DCEmu Interview, a unique idea in which questions are asked by me to the Whole DCEmu Community its a way to learn more about each others and find out what our interests are and much more

Todays Question is Whats the greatest Game Ever ?

Give your Answer via Comments.

Remember to check out our DCEmu Interview Site (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/) to catch up on previous DCEmu Interview Questions

The DCEmu Interview - Question 1 - What Consoles Do You Own ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-1-what-consoles-do-you-own--82867.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 2 - Whats Your Favourite Console Of All Time (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-2-whats-your-favourite-console-of-all-time-83029.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 3 - Whats Your New Years Resolution ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-3-whats-your-new-years-resolution--83130.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 4 - What Got you Interested in Homebrew/Emulation ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-4-what-got-you-interested-in-homebrew-emulation--83212.html)

wraggster
January 4th, 2008, 23:01
The greates game ever that is a really hard question, games that come to mind are Starcraft, C&C Red Alert 2, Theme Park, Theme Hospital, Mario Bros 3, Mario World, Championship Manager, the list goes on

If i was pressed to choose one game then in my opinion Theme Park is the greatest game ever.

myuusmeow
January 4th, 2008, 23:04
Super Mario 64 is the best game ever imo.

one winged angel
January 4th, 2008, 23:13
i really couldnt chose my favs are:
final fantasy 7/8/9
counter strike 1.6
tales of symphonia
the witcher (really awesome if you havent tried it you should)
well thats it

FBomb
January 4th, 2008, 23:18
Pfft easy

The 1st and 2nd X-Com's

kojiro7
January 4th, 2008, 23:20
Really hard question
I would choose something between:

Sensible world of soccer(AMIGA)
Super Mario Bros 1(NES)
Super Mario Land 1(GAMEBOY)
KOF 97(ARCADE)
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo(ARCADE)
Sonic 1(MEGADRIVE)
Terranigma(SNES)
Tetris(GAMEBOY)
Shining Force 3(SATURN)
SHINOBI(ARCADE)

mike_jmg
January 4th, 2008, 23:22
Really a though question
best game ever uhmm!!

I'll have to go with the top one on my fav console (PS2)

God of War

A close second would be Devil May Cry 3 and The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

VenomDMD
January 5th, 2008, 00:01
FINAL FANTASY VII !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):thumbup:

Zargon
January 5th, 2008, 00:03
For me it would be either Halo 2, Portal, or the original Star Ocean for the SNES (translated version)

Predator
January 5th, 2008, 00:03
Chrono Trigger, I'm a retro fan.
Long live the classics.

Homerun
January 5th, 2008, 00:06
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)

DuffMaster
January 5th, 2008, 00:10
Chrono Trigger, I'm a retro fan.
Long live the classics.

+1

The battle system, all the different endings, and especially the New Game+ feature makes this the greates game ever!

Super Mario bros 3 and Maniac Mansion are great retro games too:thumbup:

robocelot
January 5th, 2008, 00:12
Pfft easy

The 1st and 2nd X-Com's

Hear Hear!

Also worthy: Nethack and Pirates!

Mr. Shizzy
January 5th, 2008, 00:26
Easy:

GTA: San Andreas

Is the most complete, encompassing, videogame experience you can get.

;)

livnbob
January 5th, 2008, 00:42
Dungeons and Dragons. Though it wouldn't become a video game for many years, its influence on gamers and programmers alike cannot be denied. The depth and scope of D&D, its open-ended nature, and limitless possibilities continue to inspire people to this day. In a historical sense, the importance of D&D is up there with Pong. Pong showed us that video games were possible; D&D continues to show us that video games can always be made bigger and better. I don't even play D&D and I have to tip my hat to it. As for video games though, I gotta go with Final Fantasy 7.

cal6n
January 5th, 2008, 00:57
Tomb Raider.

Nothing before or since has come close.

Demonic_Cr0w
January 5th, 2008, 01:13
In my opinion, the best game ever would have to be The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Reasons for my choice are that it has an amazing story line, memorable characters, great game play, and outstanding graphics for it's time.

Demonic_Cr0w
January 5th, 2008, 01:16
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) I'm gonna have to disagree with you there... It was a good game but by far it was NOT the best game...

EDIT: Whoops! Sorry about the double post!

dejkirkby
January 5th, 2008, 01:18
The Immortal on the Sega Megadrive.

____anders____
January 5th, 2008, 01:56
easily the super mario series exept super mario bros 2, second is vigilante 8 second offense on N64 and PSX.

psp411
January 5th, 2008, 02:50
super mario world, donkey kong country... those games are gold :D :cool:

the_eternal_dark
January 5th, 2008, 03:23
Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros., Marathon Trilogy, and Duke Nukem 3D.

Resident Evil 1 - CV gets my vote on best series (Resident Evil 4 is fun, but no zombies and lame story killed it for me).

Other than that, nothing comes close.

Gene
January 5th, 2008, 06:47
How about Ratchet & Clank: Up your Arsenal? That was my all time favorite, hands down.

jamotto
January 5th, 2008, 07:27
Metal Marines

Shadowblind
January 5th, 2008, 07:49
Bioshock.

parkermauney
January 5th, 2008, 08:06
Paper Mario, The Thousand Year Door.

RV2006
January 5th, 2008, 08:47
Its so hard to choose as i can think of many in different categories:

Fighting: Street Fighter Alpha 3 (PSX or Saturn)

Absolutely the best fighting game ever. Its also been ported and re-released alot!
(being on GBA, PSP, Dreamcast, PSX, and Saturn)

(2nd: Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3)

Racing: Diddy Kong Racing (N64)
fun fun fun!:p

(2nd: Mario Kart (snes))

Platformer: Super Mario World (snes/GBA)
No question!

(2nd: Donkey Kong Country(snes))

Adventure: Legend of Zelda: A link to the past(snes/GBA)
Nintendo perfection!:cool:

(2nd: Metroid Fusion(GBA): Best MP game in my opinion!)

Point and click: Sam and Max series (PC)
An absolutely brilliant experience!

(2nd: Sam and Max: Hit the Road(PC)

RPG: FF6(SNES) and 9(PSX)
Can't decide between them!:confused:

(Breath of Fire 1 and 2 (SNES/GBA))

Music: Um Jammer Lammy(PSX)
A great, addicitve rhythm game that has a quirky story, and an glowing atmoshpere that modern music games, such as guitar hero, seem to lack.

(2nd: Samba De Amigo(DREAMCAST): Love its excentric randomness, and funky beats!! I want the wii sequal to live up to this legendary title!)

Arcade Shooter: Point Blank series (ARCADE/PSX)
(except the one on the DS, its a disgrace!!:mad:)

So Randomly Fun!

(2nd: Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles(Wii)- Loads or re-playability, and an actual plot!!:eek:)

Side Scroller: Streets Of Rage 2 (MEGADRIVE)

Great beat em' up!

(2nd: Streets Of Rage(MEGADRIVE))

bah
January 5th, 2008, 09:22
Day of the Tentacle (PC, talkie version) - SCUMM game, sequel to maniac mansion.

robman84
January 5th, 2008, 10:32
Ouch, tough question! Like most I could probably do a top 10 for every genre and every arcae system and every console and every home computer. However, if pushed, the game that gives me the most joy, for many reasons, is....

Asteroids - the arcade vector version, not an emulated or copied version.

It blew me away as a kid when it came out and the vector graphics still send a shiver down my spine whenever I find a decent condition cab in an arcade.

One day I'll get one, but convincing my better half is difficult. Perhaps it was my suggestion of planting a cocktail cab in the front room as a coffee table?

Segata Sanshiro
January 5th, 2008, 10:42
Super Mario 3
Sonic 2

Jitesh
January 5th, 2008, 10:43
final fantasy 7 :D

mr game porter
January 5th, 2008, 13:10
zelda ocarina of time, that game hade everything. great level design, great story, great music, great characters, great in-game sounds. i mean, do you remember the first time you went out from the kokiri forest and in to the hylian field? that was the best feeling that iwe got from a game in my whole life.

ojdon
January 5th, 2008, 13:11
Since I'm a fan and always have been I would say Sonic is the greatest game ever. Everyone knows that speedy blue hedgehog. ^^

M Dash
January 5th, 2008, 14:03
RESIDENT EVIL 4!

That's all I gotta say...

gutbub
January 5th, 2008, 14:18
Lol, I don't know why it's funny, but to me it is. I don't even have to think about my favorite game of all time. My choice is
Starcraft

So many hours put into that game, probaly a few thousand. Soon enough I'll being doing that again, as soon as Starcraft 2 comes out.

Homerun
January 5th, 2008, 16:23
I'm gonna have to disagree with you there... It was a good game but by far it was NOT the best game...

EDIT: Whoops! Sorry about the double post!

*points to Game rankings last time I checked*

1.Super Mario Galaxy
2. Loz:OoT

Iceman^2
January 5th, 2008, 16:23
It's impossible to choose, but some of my favorites are:
Final Fantasy VII
Ocarina of Time
Super Mario World
Super Smash Bros.

alienanthropologist
January 5th, 2008, 16:24
Here it goes. My favourite games of all time are:

+Super Mario Bros. 1 (NES) This is the game that got me into gaming. I can still remember I used to get butterflies in the stomach just at the thought of playing it. Getting my NES and playing it for the first time was a trascendental experience.

+Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) I think this game refined Mario and took it in directions that seemed limitless: stage variety, great power-ups, world maps, great bosses, superb music and awesome graphics at the time.

+The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past (SNES) This is the closest to heaven as it got for me as a teenager. One word: AWESOME

+Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) I think I'd have to say that, going in full circle to the beginning, this is the game that brought me back to gaming again. This game has done the unthinkable: The same excitement I got with Mario Bros. 1 on the NES as a child returned with Mario Galaxy.

:):):)

Steely
January 5th, 2008, 17:22
The game I got the most fun out of has probably got to be..

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle - I've probably rented that game for weekends about 12 times. Then, finally I bought it for 70$. I beat it perfectly. I haven't played it in ages, though.

As for the best... I can't decide...

Earthbound - BLAH! I Love Earthbound!

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Since so many think so... I didn't enjoy it that much, since my N64 age was messy..

Super Mario 64 - I've barely even played it. I loved the DS version, though, and I could imagine it feeling better on the N64. I'm always tempted to get it on VC.

Legend of Zelda:A Link to the Past - It's so good. I loved the music so much, and it has such a nostalgic feel now. It's simply one of the best games, ever.

Super Mario RPG - Purely Awesome.

Paper Mario - Continued the Mario RPG goodness with a unique style.

Super Mario Bros. 3 - Heheh, I couldn't resist. It's been remade so many times for a good reason. It's one of the two... No.. Three... No.. Four best 2D platformers ever, IMO.

Super Mario World - Another masterpiece. One of the four best 2D platformers ever.

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - ANOTHER masterpiece. Nice style, but the grading system is what keeps me playing(also the fact that my file keeps accidentally getting deleted..). One of the four best 2D platformers ever.

Kirby's Super Star - This, I think, can easily pass for the greatest game ever! Multiplayer co-op is amazing, with a bunch of different attacks per ability. It has the search & collect replayability. The music is the best Kirby music in any game, IMO. It's surely one of the four best 2D platformers ever.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Probably not categorizable as the best game ever, but I had to include it. Depending on what kind of games you like, you can either enjoy figuring out some crazy stuff, you can get too frustrated, or you may find the constant reading boring (oh, also, a few not-so-smart people can feel smart by finding contradictions in the first case). Where it lacks action and such, it greatly makes up for it in story and although the music may seem low quality, you remember it and the events that go with the music making it enjoyable.

Super Mario Galaxy - I think Super Mario Galaxy was the "Super Mario Bros. 3" of the main 3D Mario games. It changed 3D platformers quite a bit, the music is GREAT live-orchestrated pieces, it's epic, and Mario is godly, now(He flies without capes or tails or wings!)... Besides the intro, anyway. Although many gamers would disagree, I find the difficulty almost perfect. The first half of the game is easy for experienced gamers, while can be difficult(but never impossible) later on.

Super Smash Bros. Melee - Everyone can play it. Everyone can love it. Melee only improved on the original.

Oh.. OH! Super Smash Bros. Brawl!! Ofcourse I haven't played it, but I believe that's going to be the best game ever. Also, Mother 3 looks great, but I'm waiting for the fan translation to finish before I play.

I have a bunch of games listed(I wanted to add even more... Argh), but it's because I really can't decide.

claym99
January 5th, 2008, 18:12
Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario. too bad there also the two games that have troubles being emulated

DarthPaul
January 5th, 2008, 20:29
*points to Game rankings last time I checked*

1.Super Mario Galaxy
2. Loz:OoT

Current Score:

1. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. Super Mario Galaxy

But, my personal favorite... I don't have a favorite! I've enjoyed so many games... I think the games I've played more are those Pokémon games for GameBoy. But that doesn't mean they're my favorite or the best of all times.

ian h
January 5th, 2008, 20:44
couldnt choose between super mario world, zelda link to the past, super metroid, metroid zero mission or super mario 64, but for the game ive played most over and over again it would be super mario world.

booradley1212
January 5th, 2008, 22:23
Doom 2
Dark Forces
Noone Lives Forever
Noone Lives Forever 2
Half Life 2
Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Maniac Mansion
Metroid Fusion
Twisted Metal 2
Blast Corps

shango46
January 5th, 2008, 22:50
I cant decide on favorite individual games, but I have a top 10 for game series:

1. MegaMan (as well as MegaMan X)
2. Super Mario (This includes all RPG and Party games)
3. Final Fantasy
4. Legend of Zelda
5. Metroid
6. Civilization
7. Street Fighter
8. Resident Evil
9. Dragon Quest/Warrior
10. Metal Slug

If I had to choose an individual game to say was my favorite game, It is currently held by:

E.V.O Search For Eden (SNES)

JKKDARK
January 5th, 2008, 23:03
Phantasy Star serie
Mega Bomberman (SG)
Sonic Shuffle (DC)
Sonic Adventure (DC, GC)
Grandia serie
Skies Of Arcadia (DC, GC)
Final Fantasy serie

ryan2006
January 5th, 2008, 23:39
1# metal gear solid ps1
2# Final fantasy vii
3# star ocean snes

thats my top 3 dont think anyone else mentioned star ocean now that was an rpg.

Eyedunno
January 6th, 2008, 02:39
Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha

It's the same game as Alpha 2, so technically Alpha 2 should be the best game ever too, just that I prefer the Japanese character names (Vega as the dictator and Gouki instead of Akuma).

Runners up:
Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy VII, Worms Armageddon or Open Warfare 2 (can't decide which Worms game I like more)

SupRay
January 6th, 2008, 06:12
You have all forgot the best game ever. It was the game that sucked every 25+ year old male into video games.

TECMO SUPER BOWL (NES)

Almost every game with Zelda in it is great, it's hard to go wrong with a game with Mario in it but this game is a legend.

And in case any of you are interested some guy decided to reprogram Tecmo Super Bowl so it has 32 teams (instead of the orignal 28). He just released it in October and it is AWESOME. Nothing will beat coming off the corner and sacking Joe Montana with L.T. but dropping back with with Tom Brady and throwing to Randy Moss is pretty cool too!

http://www.knobbe.org/mx/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=10540&sid=15e8a16747dec0b06ff25d4521df79a3

hdofu
January 6th, 2008, 06:36
Super Mario Bros 3

Savadahoo
January 6th, 2008, 13:30
Super Mario 64...it's a classic...i had stopped playing video games completely for about a year until this game came out and got me hooked again....it's my gateway drug

The EX
January 6th, 2008, 14:32
How can you possibly choose one game from the thousands that exist each from hundreds of genres? You can't. Sure you can choose the best game from the shooter genre, but when you start comparing shooter games and puzzle games, it just doesn't work.

jeegee
January 7th, 2008, 00:00
Final Fantasy VII

END OF STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of other games are brilliant and some even come close.................. but FFVII made me skive off work to play it!!!!!!!! I have probably spent more time on other games (FFXI for instance lol) but its just THE best game ever.

Not played it? Scared of the hype? Try it! You'll LOVE IT!!

Edit - Also i do love my WIP3OUT HD on PS3 (custom soundtrack is a MUST). Maybe i was a little too caught up in JRPG's two years ago when i first posted.

Eviltaco64
January 7th, 2008, 00:27
Hotel Mario!!

Oh, wait, this is the BEST game thread.

I'd say Super Mario 3 or Sonic 2 (with Mario RPG and DKC tying in at 2nd)

matt100
January 7th, 2008, 19:03
well i totaly enjoyed .......resident evil 1...ps1:eek:
close second......black hawk down....pc:)
battlefield 2....pc:D

Marchand De Boeufs
January 11th, 2008, 17:23
Definetly Civilization !

JasonSantucci
January 12th, 2008, 21:06
Hmm... Final Fantasy VII. Sonic The Hedgehog 2 and The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time also get honourable mentions, but no other game has ever (or ever will) come close to consuming me the way FF7 did.

foxzoner
January 13th, 2008, 02:06
Monster Hunter Freedom 2 ;)

badwog69
January 13th, 2008, 14:09
Space Invaders!!!!

VampDude
January 24th, 2008, 00:52
Panzer Dragoon Saga, it was the best game of the 32-bit era.

ubersk8kid
January 27th, 2008, 20:28
Super Mario World

Eviltaco64
January 27th, 2008, 22:23
Panzer Dragoon Saga, it was the best game of the 32-bit era.

You are a wise man :D

Zense
March 10th, 2008, 19:34
Chrono Trigger. I like RPGs

omadeli
March 16th, 2008, 21:24
i would say da best games ive ever played are FFVIII (u herd me rigt not 7 and i hv both) resident evil 2, abes exodus, PES, tekken 3, COD4, mario kart ds, gta vice city and san andreas

alanparker05
March 17th, 2008, 22:50
over the years my answer to that has changed countless times but the 2 i keep going back to are mario 3 and street fighter 2, i can keep playing those and never get bored

alexzander
April 14th, 2008, 14:49
Sonic the hedgehog 2

and Grand Theft Auto 2(PC) was nice too

MHentai
April 14th, 2008, 23:56
tetris. no questions.

MasterBeef
April 18th, 2008, 07:04
I'd have to say Halo 3 (Xbox 360), for its flawless online multiplayer, especially Forge, and the endlessly replayable campaign that's even better with friends in 4 player co-op.

My other favourite (can't decide between them, they're so different) is RollerCoaster Tycoon. I spent so many hours making the perfect park with landscaping and so much scenery it crashed the game (several thousand objects used).

Amaweks
May 6th, 2008, 13:49
Shenmue

pepe55
October 27th, 2008, 08:57
The Elder Scrolls (ALL)
Arcanum
Deus Ex

perfectoplayer
October 28th, 2008, 22:01
FFVII hands down as a one player, as a multi player cod4

wrothamboii
October 30th, 2008, 16:50
i dunno

wrothamboii
October 30th, 2008, 16:50
maybe.. runescape? i dunno

wrothamboii
October 30th, 2008, 16:51
hmm.. what do you think?

Memento
November 7th, 2008, 09:39
My friend. He brought his PSP to school and that just made me wanna get one XD then I found out about all this shit so yeah, i got into it

Memento
November 7th, 2008, 09:40
Well, World of Warcraft definetly then

odanoroc
February 12th, 2009, 05:20
The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
CAPCOM vs SNK II
Final Fantasy 6
Halo
River City Ransom
Just to name a few

tavueni
May 17th, 2009, 22:02
Got to be Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for me

Scoe
June 16th, 2009, 00:13
Greatest game ever is a relative question. Relative to the people responding to the question. Personaly I can not choose just one game: I would have to say for me the greatest games ever are....Wofenstien3D, Spears of Destiny, Rise of the Triad, Hexen, Heritic, Doom & Doom2.

patgan598
June 20th, 2009, 11:09
Zelda ocarina of time N64
and
Super mario world SNES

NiGame
June 21st, 2009, 23:46
secret of mana (on snes)

ShootsUSir
June 26th, 2009, 11:08
Mario Kart on the Snes
or
Super Metroid on the Snes

psyfirefly
March 15th, 2010, 16:49
Super Mario Bros 3.

I have to give Magicland Dizzy a mention though, because after Mario, Dizzy is my favourite game series. I like the combination of the traditional adventure game with platforms and spent more time as a child playing Dizzy than any other games.

Other honorable mentions:

Spindizzy (not a part of the Dizzy series mentioned above, an amazing isometric 3D game)
Mario Kart DS (yes this is my favourite version, imo plays much better than the SNES version)
Chip's Challenge
Knight Lore
Manic Miner
Chuckie Egg (doesnt get more simple than this but was one of the early platformers)

The majority of modern games do nothing for me.

WhizzBang
August 30th, 2010, 06:24
If we are just talking computer games then I go for Tetris.

However, if we are talking about games in general the best game ever is unquestionably Chess. People will still be playing chess, studying it, having competitions and writing books about it hundreds of years after all games mentioned in this thread are forgotten.