PDA

View Full Version : The real reason why Warner went Blu?

wraggster
January 5th, 2008, 09:25
We knew this wouldn't take long -- just like when Paramount made the switch to HD DVD, rumors are swirling that a sum of $500 Million was involved in the decision to make the switch. The rumor goes on to say that Fox's allegiance to Blu-ray was a factor as well, but when it refused to defect from the Blu camp and accepted an undisclosed amount, Warner had no choice; because at this point, without another studio going red it would've only put the war into more of a stalemate than it already was. Of course, Warner tells the story a little differently, and on a recent conference call when asked about any "compensation" Kevin Tsujihara, president, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group said that it "was not a bidding war" and that it really came down to Q4 sales, specifically in the International markets -- then he wanted to know if we had any idea where they could collect the $500 Million. Ultimately, Warner wanted to try and give consumers a reason to get off the fence.

As for the remaining five months, although there will be a delay in the release of Warner HD DVD titles in comparison to the Blu-ray releases, the specifics haven't been worked out just yet, and the decision has also not been made to stop production of current HD DVD titles -- but the retailers will have a say in that one. We closed the call with the most pertinent question of all, "Where's the Matrix on Blu-ray?" to which the answer was, as soon as they work out the details of BD Java and PIP.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/04/the-real-reason-why-warner-went-blu/

Gizmo356
January 5th, 2008, 11:22
They already stated that they weren't paid to switch to Blu-Ray

freitax
January 5th, 2008, 14:56
I think it's pretty obvious why warner went blu, they were making more money with it, don't listen to this guy he's just hd dvd fanboy, yeah I know I didn't though there were any, I never really understood fanboys, actually I do understand them, they are simply trying to defend their investment, I hope..

JKKDARK
January 5th, 2008, 15:12
I think it's pretty obvious why warner went blu, they were making more money with it, don't listen to this guy he's just hd dvd fanboy, yeah I know I didn't though there were any, I never really understood fanboys, actually I do understand them, they are simply trying to defend their investment, I hope..

Xbox 360 (17 million) sold more than PS3 (less than 6 million). How can you say they get more money with Blu-Ray?

Triv1um
January 5th, 2008, 15:22
Xbox 360 (17 million) sold more than PS3 (less than 6 million). How can you say they get more money with Blu-Ray?

That was a weak comeback for you JKK. Sales of console doesnt matter.

Blu-ray standalone players have sold better than HD-DVD standalones.

The main market is console owners, but for the 360 you need a add-on (not sure about the elite). I dont know any 360 owners with a HD-DVD drive. Thats a bad sign.

Now, every model of PS3 supports it because thats its format, and the movies are selling. Also, the PS3 might not be selling that well, but they are rising.

Gizmo356
January 5th, 2008, 15:31
That was a weak comeback for you JKK. Sales of console doesnt matter.

Blu-ray standalone players have sold better than HD-DVD standalones.

The main market is console owners, but for the 360 you need a add-on (not sure about the elite). I dont know any 360 owners with a HD-DVD drive. Thats a bad sign.

Now, every model of PS3 supports it because thats its format, and the movies are selling. Also, the PS3 might not be selling that well, but they are rising.

Thats exactly right.

DCergo
January 5th, 2008, 15:59

Blu-ray standalone sales were on par with HDDVD standalone sales, but this holiday season, blu-ray standalones outsold hddvd standalones, despite costing significantly more. For the last 52 weeks, each and every single week, Blu-ray movies have outsold HDDVD movies, as charted by Nielsen Videoscan, on average 2:1 in the US. It gets even better for Blu-ray outside of North America. In Europe, it's 3:1. In Japan, it's 9:1. In Australia, it's 20:1, all in favor of Blu-ray.

Have some dignity by trying not to come off like a disgruntled retard who is clueless about the reality of the situation by buying into HDDVD damage control.

Gizmo356
January 5th, 2008, 16:09
Blu-ray standalone sales were on par with HDDVD standalone sales, but this holiday season, blu-ray standalones outsold hddvd standalones, despite costing significantly more. For the last 52 weeks, each and every single week, Blu-ray movies have outsold HDDVD movies, as charted by Nielsen Videoscan, on average 2:1 in the US. It gets even better for Blu-ray outside of North America. In Europe, it's 3:1. In Japan, it's 9:1. In Australia, it's 20:1, all in favor of Blu-ray.

Have some dignity by trying not to come off like a disgruntled retard who is clueless about the reality of the situation by buying into HDDVD damage control.

If there was a post of the month title this would get it xD

F9zDark
January 5th, 2008, 16:33

BECAUSE MICROSHIT MAKES PEOPLE PAY 200 DOLLARS FOR THE ADDON RATHER THAN MAKE IT PART OF THE SYSTEM.

How many people went out and bought the HD-DVD addon? No one. So shut the **** up with 360 sales, as it doesn't pertain, whatsof|_|ckingever to the format war.

Gizmo356
January 5th, 2008, 16:38

Its not difficult to dwarf sales with a year head start :P

Accordion
January 5th, 2008, 16:46
These threads shouldnt really become 360 vs PS3 nonsense.

Blu-ray is the better format technically, yes HD-DVD can now be 50GB, but that is a stretch on the intended size, while BLu-ray is designed to be 50GB and can be improved by the same margin.

The PS3 is the best Blu-ray player on the market, the HD-DVD sales figures ignoring the PS3 as a standalone player is madness.

As for PS3 vs 360
I thought PS3 sales were nearing 9 million units… Anyone with the sense to look at year by year figures will see that PS3 is more successful, especially in a shared market with the terror of the Wii to contend with.

DCergo
January 5th, 2008, 16:46
Let me add:

Life-to-date sales of the Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on hit 269,000 in November, representing a 3.4% attach rate to the 360 console itself.
source: NPD, story by Gamasutra (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16640)

A far, far cry from 17 million.

However, each and every PS3, is a blu-ray capable, which Toshiba embarrassingly leaves out of their press releases when comparing sales. You can marginalize the PS3 all you want, but it's effect on the hi-def war is irrefutable and pronounced, and pretty much "won" the war for the BDA.

JKKDARK
January 5th, 2008, 19:44
BECAUSE MICROSHIT MAKES PEOPLE PAY 200 DOLLARS FOR THE ADDON RATHER THAN MAKE IT PART OF THE SYSTEM.

How many people went out and bought the HD-DVD addon? No one. So shut the **** up with 360 sales, as it doesn't pertain, whatsof|_|ckingever to the format war.

Whatever, the PS3 is and will be 3rd on this generation.

F9zDark
January 5th, 2008, 23:05
Whatever, the PS3 is and will be 3rd on this generation.

*Borat Voice* HIGH FIVE!*/Borat Voice*

DCergo
January 5th, 2008, 23:25
Here's why warner went Blu, for those with obvious mental disorders preventing them from accepting reality. Sales ratios of movies for each and every week of 2007:

http://i12.tinypic.com/8ggsd1u.gif

HDDVD didn't win a single week. That's just the US alone, where HDDVD had the strongest marketshare. In Eur/Japan/Aus, it's a horribly grim picture.

F9zDark
January 5th, 2008, 23:36
Here's why warner went Blu, for those with obvious mental disorders preventing them from accepting reality. Sales ratios of movies for each and every week of 2007:

http://i12.tinypic.com/8ggsd1u.gif

HDDVD didn't win a single week. That's just the US alone, where HDDVD had the strongest marketshare. In Eur/Japan/Aus, it's a horribly grim picture.

But hey, the 360 is outselling the PS3!! ;)

Shadowblind
January 5th, 2008, 23:36
Its not difficult to dwarf sales with a year head start :P

The Wii is doing that to both of them, despite it being just not that fun and coming out a year later.

Eh, from blu-ray to HDDVD, they all look the same. "High end detail" doesn't quite fit for formats that have had that since 1995.

Quick question; do those charts show number of PS3 and Blu-ray players combined, or just the player alone?

DCergo
January 5th, 2008, 23:51
Quick question; do those charts show number of PS3 and Blu-ray players combined, or just the player alone?

That's just the movies.

jamotto
January 6th, 2008, 00:39
Until one of the formats surpasses DVD, then neither is "winning".

With stories like these both formats have a long ways to go.

High-def player sales still just 10% of standard DVD (http://www.n4g.com/News-91275.aspx)

High-def hardware achieved huge Black Friday gains, but still lags behind the sales pace of standard-definition DVD players.

HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc stand-alone players sold 57,000 units during the week ended Nov. 24, the day marking the official kick-off to the holiday season. That contrasts to the 600,000 units sold of standard-def DVD players, according to market analyst DisplaySearch.

DCergo
January 6th, 2008, 02:35
Until one of the formats surpasses DVD, then neither is "winning".

With stories like these both formats have a long ways to go.

High-def player sales still just 10% of standard DVD (http://www.n4g.com/News-91275.aspx)

Uh, can we reasonably expect these formats to overtake an installed base of countless millions overnight? Otherwise it's not winning? So it must be losing? Are you implying everyone shouldn't bother or what? :)

I think anyone following the market is aware just how small the hidef marketshare is still. But we're talking about two competing *HD* formats, of which one *has* been winning against the other. Dragging DVD into comparison without a historical and economical perspective is being disingenuous.

It took 2 years before DVD players got down to $500. It took 7 years to surpass VHS sales (2003). A burner cost $2500. By comparison I can now get a 4x blu-ray burner for less than $600. Adjusting for inflation the hardware prices now even in the worst case (expensive blu-rays) are technically a deal. But DVD sales are softening and a market of 10% that was just 3-4% mere months ago suggests decent growth, HDTV adoption rates are increasing at a healthy rates which means there will be a steady migration to an HD format. Perhaps not fast enough for everyone's liking, but that why we have these stories to discuss today.