PDA

View Full Version : PSP Skype for PSP 2000 (Slim) Owners Only

wraggster
January 5th, 2008, 17:13
Full article from Gamespot (http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6184308.html)

Earlier this week, Sony's Consumer Electronics Show site slipped news that voice over IP support would soon be added to the hardware maker's frontline handheld, the PlayStation Portable. While the blurb contained no information beyond the fact, Japan's Nikkei Net news service (registration required) is reporting today that Skype functionality will be added to the PSP as early as this month.

Nikkei also provided a few details on what PSP owners can expect from the Sony-Skype partnership. Skype's Internet phone technology will be limited to owners of the PSP Slim, which launched worldwide in September. Owners of the redesigned handheld will able to download Skype software directly onto their PSPs and then use a specially designed microphone to communicate.

The Skype service will be free for PSP-to-PSP and PSP-to-PC calls. PSP Slim owners will also be able to sign up for a dedicated phone number, which Nikkei is reporting will run for 2,250 yen (about $20.70) for three months of usage. Nikkei did not report on whether the pricing structure would extend to other regions. Sony had not returned requests for comment as of press time.

Doesnt sound so great now, paying for the bast drops my willingness to try it.. We need a homebrew Skype ;)

CoderX
January 5th, 2008, 18:12
We will have rewritten the prx to run on psp-1000 with in days. lol why waste their time limiting its use, :rolleyes:

F9zDark
January 5th, 2008, 18:35
We will have rewritten the prx to run on psp-1000 with in days. lol why waste their time limiting its use, :rolleyes:

I sure hope so, as much as I want the Slim, I don't feel like shelling out for yet another PSP.

troom
January 5th, 2008, 18:40
but they said that it would use a special mic and the connecter on the slim is slightly different than the phat.

mike_jmg
January 5th, 2008, 19:08
but they said that it would use a special mic and the connecter on the slim is slightly different than the phat.

yep that's probably it, they won't make a mic for the phat's connector, even worse, maybe they can't

wasn't there some sort of mic used with Socom FTB, I never liked it so I never got it, but mabe we can use that, It worked with the fatty right?

DarthPaul
January 5th, 2008, 20:06
This is totally insane!

lost101
January 5th, 2008, 20:17
Chotto Shot / Go! Cam has a builtin mic.

troom
January 5th, 2008, 20:48
but can we use the head set or will it be a diffirent type of mic will just have to wait in see
if they do let you use the origanal head set then there could possible be a homebrew port but there could be a problem with the size of ram on the phat but im no coder so what do i know.

Cloudhunter
January 5th, 2008, 23:11
I hope they don't limit it to Slim owners owner. Didn't happen with the DS.

If they limit it because it's not possible (maybe because of the 32 MB limit on the fat) then that's fair enough, but if they do it for no reason like the 1seg then they are idiots.

Cloudy

Anonymous D
January 5th, 2008, 23:30
Owners of the redesigned handheld will able to download Skype software directly onto their PSPs and then use a specially designed microphone to communicate.

that suggests to me all theyre gonna do is make the mic conector slim only.

mcdougall57
January 6th, 2008, 02:29
would hate this news if i hadnt thrown my psp against a wall

Chackan
January 6th, 2008, 03:45
And another bad turn by Sony 8-)

No_one_in_particular
January 6th, 2008, 05:10
If they limit it because it's not possible (maybe because of the 32 MB limit on the fat) then that's fair enough, but if they do it for no reason like the 1seg then they are idiots.

Cloudy
I know! I mean what the ****?!

blackrave
January 6th, 2008, 11:32

Cloudy

Exactly. Morons, to be more precise. I was looking so much forward to this, but have no intentions or wants of buying a slim.

haragog
January 6th, 2008, 18:52
I think it's way better than nothing (DSh*t)...and homebrewer's will figure a way like always!

pkmaximum
January 6th, 2008, 20:45
Well I saw this coming, Now I hate SONY

Dorian
January 6th, 2008, 23:02
If the frickin DS with its N64 stats can do Skype,then hell,the PSP should be able to do so.
DS: 67MHz CPU,4MB RAM
PSP:333MHz CPU,32MB RAm

T>T

Fanjita
January 6th, 2008, 23:47
We need a homebrew Skype ;)

You mean, like this one (http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/news/make-phone-calls-with-your-psp.html)? ;)

wraggster
January 6th, 2008, 23:50
welcome back :)

about time the PSP Scene was graced with one of the finest coders :)

time to post news :)

mikebeaver
January 7th, 2008, 00:14
mark that 1 for homebrew coders and 1 lost to Sony :)

Nice work Fanjita and team,

Mike..

Buddy4point0
January 7th, 2008, 00:23
it doesn't matter sony.
yea go ahead and try to make us buy psp slim's, too bad through homebrew we will have a rewritten prx, for the fat, and another plugin for use with a headet that does fit in the psp.

The Master
January 7th, 2008, 04:42
Before its even been released Fanjita is back and arrives in style with phat compatible version, welcome back :p

djbrotherson
January 29th, 2008, 14:11
i got a slim... BRING IT ON

(where's the download button?)

F9zDark
January 29th, 2008, 15:26
i got a slim... BRING IT ON

(where's the download button?)

It isn't out yet; it is supposed to be released by the end of January and since that is fast approaching, I am beginning to wonder if they will make the deadline.

Chances are, this will come as a firmware update, meaning that us Fat owners (who don't run CFW) will still have the Skype icon, but will be unable to use it. Chances are, however, that Sony won't change the mic; while they probably want people to buy the Skype headset they are releasing, that would be very bad business considering many people may already have a headset for Socom or Killzone Liberation.

I hope thats the case anyway, because that would really suck. The PSP Fat owners cannot use Skype, probably because the Fat has less memory than the Slim, but to make the mic incompatible with Fat PSPs would make it that much harder for us to get Skype working through CFW.

djbrotherson
January 29th, 2008, 16:21
yeaa i feel you on that it would be a bad marketing move for Sony but they always making bad moves. I was gonna use furikup but i didnt want to bother, i have a freakin cell phone lol

F9zDark
January 29th, 2008, 18:13
yeaa i feel you on that it would be a bad marketing move for Sony but they always making bad moves. I was gonna use furikup but i didnt want to bother, i have a freakin cell phone lol

The only thing that makes Skype desirable for me is that for 3 dollars a month I can make calls to anyone in the US on Landlines and Cell phones. If my Cell battery dies when I am out somewhere and I have a PSP, I have that as a backup.

As well, I'd rather pay 3 bucks a month for Skype than 80 for my cell phone.

Thats really what makes it worth it for me, and I live in an area with good Cell and Wi-Fi coverage, so it would be a nice "fall-back option".