PDA

View Full Version : The DCEmu Interview - Question 6 - Whats the Greatest Homebrew Console?

wraggster
January 6th, 2008, 02:38
http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/dcemu2008.gif

A feature i did a few years ago and one im going to repeat now is the DCEmu Interview, a unique idea in which questions are asked by me to the Whole DCEmu Community its a way to learn more about each others and find out what our interests are and much more

Todays Question is Whats the Greatest Homebrew Console? (Thats Console not handheld, basically you have a choice of PS2, Dreamcast, Xbox, Gamecube etc)

Give your Answer via Comments.

Remember to check out our DCEmu Interview Site (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/) to catch up on previous DCEmu Interview Questions

The DCEmu Interview - Question 1 - What Consoles Do You Own ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-1-what-consoles-do-you-own--82867.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 2 - Whats Your Favourite Console Of All Time (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-2-whats-your-favourite-console-of-all-time-83029.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 3 - Whats Your New Years Resolution ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-3-whats-your-new-years-resolution--83130.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 4 - What Got you Interested in Homebrew/Emulation ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-4-what-got-you-interested-in-homebrew-emulation--83212.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 5 - Whats the greatest Game Ever ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-5-whats-the-greatest-game-ever--83477.html)

VexnadFett
January 6th, 2008, 02:41
PlayStation Portable.

wraggster
January 6th, 2008, 02:41
The greates Homebrew Console is without a shadow of a doubt the Dreamcast, the ability to play Homebrew and Emulators without the need to modchip makes it the greatest console plus the over 500 releases for the system with some amazing stuff being released over the last 7 or so years. Theres no competition

wraggster
January 6th, 2008, 02:42
read the question NO HANDHELDS

____anders____
January 6th, 2008, 02:51
i cast my vote for xbox scinse it's the only console i own that's "homebrew capable" right now, exept the DS but it's handheld so it doesn't count ;P.

it's also kinda cool to play gbc games and doom 1 and 2 in full speed on my mp3 player, but that's not a console hehe..

Psphreak
January 6th, 2008, 03:19
Xbox hands down. Emulators galore and not to mention customizable dashboards giving total access to the system.

Shadowblind
January 6th, 2008, 03:59
Original Xbox.

Emulation_Chief
January 6th, 2008, 04:13
Hello:

Certainly, the greatest homebrew console is Dreamcast. It may be not the first one in delivering independent games, but it is the one that make sites like this possible.

SSaxdude
January 6th, 2008, 04:31
Even though I don't have a modded Xbox, I would vote for the Xbox. It is the most powerful homebrew compatible console and has tons of apps and emulators. The Dreamcast is great because it is very easy to run homebrew plus doesn't need to be modded. The only downside is that the DC isn't powerful enough to do some things the Xbox can do, such as play videos. Yes I know the DC can play videos, but it doesn't work nearly as good as on the Xbox.

PSPdemon
January 6th, 2008, 05:27
Dreamcast hands down....

nothing else has to be said....

dvdhl89
January 6th, 2008, 05:33
Ps2

bah
January 6th, 2008, 05:36
I would say Xbox also, its just so much more powerful and has much easier to use storage (HDD) and networking that allows my favourite homebrew app of all time to exist: XBMC.
That app is truly something to hold up as an example as to what can be done with a homebrew project.

Xbox doesn't require a modchip either if you can be bothered taking the HDD out and doing a few things to it via a linux bootable cd on a PC.

I know most of the good things for it are made with the official SDK and that makes them illegal to distribute, but I don't really feel there's anything 'morally' wrong with homebrew built with it. Its not hurting M$ at all.

osgeld
January 6th, 2008, 05:45
xbox

matt2k
January 6th, 2008, 06:10
XBOX took over the responsibilities for homebrew and emulators for a console when it came out for me. I think I use it more than my 360. Just got a new Xmugen pack. :)

kojiro7
January 6th, 2008, 06:15
Xbox of course and after that,Dreamcast.
Lets hope Wii will be the best

YourStillWithMe
January 6th, 2008, 06:39
Kojiro7-The Wii? Where do you get your weed? Because it msut be really good. The wii for homebrew is going to suck...what is the hard drive size? like 2 gb??? who cares!

The Xbox

I own a dreamcast and mine runs the CD-Rs and it is garbage. the emulators on the DC are horrible. Xbox is muccchhh better. I have 2 modded xboxs and the 360 is a piece of trash Microsoft got gay and decided to make an ultra secure system next time around.

The ps3 will be the next system to hack due to its ability to install other OS, the processsor, its power, and hacking the ps3 definitely appeals to more people than the Wii or 360.

I guarantee you, 360 games (at least Xbox) will be emulated on the ps3 within a year or two.

mike_jmg
January 6th, 2008, 06:45
yeah yeah no handhelds my ass

sony PSP is the greatest homebrew console ever since its portable hahaha!!!

ok, if i have to choose a console, it would be xbox

Cap'n 1time
January 6th, 2008, 07:02
I personally like my Dreamcast. The xbox is cool, but it makes me feel dirty.

Balthasar00
January 6th, 2008, 07:49
The Xbox. The wise choice, obviously. First, ''the ability to play Homebrew and Emulators without the need to modchip makes it the greatest console''. :D Furthermore, strongest hardware around that do what others can only dream.. of. XD Can be fixed easily and at low cost. Finally, HDD support makes it unique and even more pleasant to use for either homebrews or multimedia uses..

ShoShoKid
January 6th, 2008, 07:54
Easily the Dreamcast.

AuroEdge
January 6th, 2008, 08:01
The greates Homebrew Console is without a shadow of a doubt the Dreamcast, the ability to play Homebrew and Emulators without the need to modchip makes it the greatest console plus the over 500 releases for the system with some amazing stuff being released over the last 7 or so years. Theres no competition

So the PlayStation 2 is the greatest console of all time because it had a ridiculous amount of games? Yes you can argue that the Dreamcast didn't require any modification to use homebrew but this same ability was its undoing since the Dreamcast is also probably the easiest console to pirate. Also, not to demean the efforts of the authors of homebrew for the Dreamcast, there isn't very much software for the system that could be put to good everyday use especially if you couldn't afford the costly Broadband Adapter.

My vote goes to the Xbox. I never owned one but in my humble opinion it was the first console that had a number of quality homebrew releases going for it. There are so many worthwhile options when it comes to homebrew for the Xbox.

I can't wait to see what will be possible with the Wii. If hackers can learn from Virtual Console then it's possible the Wii could be the best in emulation.

kojiro7
January 6th, 2008, 08:05
YourStillWithMe,Wii is going to suck in homebrew scene??
I think you have little knowledge of what Wii is doing now and what will do.As for hard drive,they can be supported on the future since is has built in usb 2.0 ports.Its a matter of little more hacking,Wii is much much more hacker-friendly than Xbox360 and PS3

MicroNut
January 6th, 2008, 08:18
Xbox 1
Nothing beats it...
except maybe an Xbox 1 with 128MB of ram.

bah
January 6th, 2008, 09:10
kojiro7: But what does it have to offer as an advantage over say the xbox for emulation?
The controller would be useless for most systems so you'd need a classic or GC controller plus an external HDD.
I guess the wifi networking is a plus, although personally I'm still one of the few ppl who will use cat-5 above wifi whenever possible.

An xbox can be bought 2nd hand pretty cheap, soft modded and has a lot of cool stuff for it already.

The wii may be a bit more powerful, but people are interested in homebrew on the 360/PS3 because they are a LOT more powerful.
The xbox (with the official sdk) is much easier to port existing windows apps to due to the fact it is basically a PC.

Kazayami
January 6th, 2008, 10:12
Dreamcast is the best console, however if it was totally open I would say the DS tops that homebrew wise.

Anonymous D
January 6th, 2008, 13:12
id go for dreamcast for ease of use, although with a little more effort the original xbox was a very capable machine, specially factoring in xbmc.

Savadahoo
January 6th, 2008, 13:28
Dreamcast....i love that machine....i haven't tried a modded x-box yet, but i'd still put my 2 cents in for Dreamcast since not needing a chip in it makes homebrew so accessible...and i think that part of it is pretty cool

M Dash
January 6th, 2008, 13:51
Dreamcast.
That's all I gotta say...

Maturion
January 6th, 2008, 14:58
Xbox or Dreamcast. I can't decide....

Xbox had more and more powerfull stuff, but most of it was illegal.

The Dreamcast has the biggest legal homebrew scene.

kojiro7
January 6th, 2008, 15:13
-bah-Wii can replace original Xbox in homebrew scene because dont forget you buy it for its commercial games first and it has plenty of future.PS3 and Xbox360 sounds cool for homebrew but I doubt we will see any in the near future,maybe when they die :)
But guys anyway if you really want homebrew at home,stick on your PC,thats the true platform and keep one handheld(PSP or GP2X)

booradley1212
January 6th, 2008, 15:29
You guys claiming the Dreamcast was the best obviously never had a modded xbox. Like the Dreamcast, you can mod the xbox using only software (no messing with the hardware.) The BIG difference is the xbox's hard drive. Anyone who's ever loaded a CD full of roms on the dreamcast can tell you it takes forever just to load the game list into memory. It sucked. Plus you had to load everything off disks. Disks suck.
With the XBOX, you can put xbox games, psx games, snes, nes, n64, genesis, master system, c64, scumm, watch movies (including divx and xvid), play online and do much more. All off the hard drive.
And if you're REALLY good, you can install a larger drive, I have a 300gb in mine.

There's absolutely no comparison.

Xbox rules until the 360 or PS3 is hacked.

goity
January 6th, 2008, 15:52
Dreamcast, since it's basically the only legal one right now. However, PS3 Linux has the potential to be great.

JKKDARK
January 6th, 2008, 16:21
You guys claiming the Dreamcast was the best obviously never had a modded xbox. Like the Dreamcast, you can mod the xbox using only software (no messing with the hardware.) The BIG difference is the xbox's hard drive. Anyone who's ever loaded a CD full of roms on the dreamcast can tell you it takes forever just to load the game list into memory. It sucked. Plus you had to load everything off disks. Disks suck.
With the XBOX, you can put xbox games, psx games, snes, nes, n64, genesis, master system, c64, scumm, watch movies (including divx and xvid), play online and do much more. All off the hard drive.
And if you're REALLY good, you can install a larger drive, I have a 300gb in mine.

There's absolutely no comparison.

Xbox rules until the 360 or PS3 is hacked.

Most of the homebrew stuff for Xbox is illegal because they use the lofficial SDK.

Dreamcast forever.

Maturion
January 6th, 2008, 16:41
The PC has the most legal homebrew stuff!!! ;)

booradley1212
January 6th, 2008, 16:51
Most of the homebrew stuff for Xbox is illegal because they use the lofficial SDK.

Dreamcast forever.

Ok so wait...playing a NINTENDO rom on Dreamcast is supposed to be legal? Lol...give me a break. We're not discussing what the most legal homebrew console is...we're discussing which is BEST. The Dreamcast is like a CD player. The xbox is like an ipod. There's no comparison whatsoever.

Just look at the xbox controller. Only that console can pull off the controller emulation for all the systems it emulates. You Dreamcast guys really need to check out the xbox...the PSP is great but being able to play Mario Kart 64 with 4 players emulated perfectly on the xbox can't be beat. Not only are the old xbox systems cheap, but retail games and controllers can be bought for $5-10, tops. And don't forget you can play games like Halo 2 online. And play games like Knights of the Old Republic, Half Life 2, Crimson Skies, Stubbs the Zombie, Burnout Revenge, San Andreas etc etc etc.

I owned a Dreamcast. I used the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast ruled before xbox got hacked. Now it's a good doorstop.

jason_meltonj2003
January 6th, 2008, 17:59
Dreamcast!!

Balthasar00
January 6th, 2008, 18:19
Honestly, the legal argument making the dreamcast superior is so-so.. The tools may be legal but stuff you run on it isn't like booradley said. Fun that I only hear theses legal issues when it comes to compare xbox with Dreamcast... I am pretty sure many of you who put dreamcast on the leading step actually haven't tried xbox. Being dependent of your cds to play homebrew or films is a flaw that can't be ignored. Also, since the xbox architecture comes from PC, you can easily change and repair parts like HDD and DVD unit at minimal cost.

booradley1212
January 6th, 2008, 20:52
Yo Balthasar tell me more about this 250gb modded PS2 you have. I'm going to guess and say its external? What can a modded ps2 do? Is it a softmod or do you have to chip it? I wasn't even aware you could do these things to a PS2...any links you could provide would be appreciated...

Balthasar00
January 6th, 2008, 23:20
Yo Balthasar tell me more about this 250gb modded PS2 you have. I'm going to guess and say its external? What can a modded ps2 do? Is it a softmod or do you have to chip it? I wasn't even aware you could do these things to a PS2...any links you could provide would be appreciated...

Sure, Its a internal IDE HDD. There are few homebrews on PS2 but the reason why installing a HDD is for HDloader. I'll pm further infos.

JKKDARK
January 6th, 2008, 23:21

Dreamcast forever.

Ok so wait...playing a NINTENDO rom on Dreamcast is supposed to be legal? Lol...give me a break. We're not discussing what the most legal homebrew console is...we're discussing which is BEST. The Dreamcast is like a CD player. The xbox is like an ipod. There's no comparison whatsoever.

Just look at the xbox controller. Only that console can pull off the controller emulation for all the systems it emulates. You Dreamcast guys really need to check out the xbox...the PSP is great but being able to play Mario Kart 64 with 4 players emulated perfectly on the xbox can't be beat. Not only are the old xbox systems cheap, but retail games and controllers can be bought for $5-10, tops. And don't forget you can play games like Halo 2 online. And play games like Knights of the Old Republic, Half Life 2, Crimson Skies, Stubbs the Zombie, Burnout Revenge, San Andreas etc etc etc.

I owned a Dreamcast. I used the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast ruled before xbox got hacked. Now it's a good doorstop.

I support legal homebrew, that's my reason. A system which runs homebrew illegally will never be the best in my opinion ;)

booradley1212
January 6th, 2008, 23:28
Such stupid reasoning.

Tell me, JKKDARK...is your PSP modded? I mean, since you're all high-falutin' and all...it seems kind of strange how you're posting in this forum if you don't have an illegally modded PSP...

jeegee
January 6th, 2008, 23:53
Prob PS1 in my experience BUT not really been into hb scene till PSP. SFami disc sys was cool too but i sold mine :(

Heh backread post after writing this. Who cares if obsolete sysems are hacked to bits? you care that i copy betamax to dvd? lol

Eviltaco64
January 7th, 2008, 00:06
Sega Consoles were no doubt some of the best homebrew consoles, each (i dont know about Master System) having at least one emulator. Genesis had a NES Emulator developed by Yuji Naka, Saturn had a SNES Emulator, and Dreamcast emulated PS1, N64, and Saturn!

Also, Xbox has a GREAT selection of Emulators and Apps.

So, I'd say that Xbox is the best followed by Dreamcast because DC doesnt even need mods

bah
January 7th, 2008, 08:36
booradley1212: Modding a PSP for your own use is not illegal, even under the god-forsaken DMCA (you just cant share that info, technically).

It's your hardware, you own it, you can do as you like with it. Sony is free to void your warranty and release updates that wont work on the hacked PSP, but that's about it.

The reason Xbox homebrew is illegal is that it is all built with the official Microsoft SDK (Software Development Kit). The people writing the homebrew and compiling it against that SDK have no legal right to use that development kit so microsoft could sue them if the released compiled binaries.

PSP and DC homebrew are compiled against free, community made SDKs so the compiled binaries can be shared freely.

I don't really know about the custom firmwares, It's sony's code but the custom firmware modifies the sony files when its installed rather than including the modified sony files in the download itself.
That probably makes it fine to distribute, but questionably legal to use.

*shrug* I'm no lawyer.
Personally I dont have any moral objections to using the official SDK and the only real legal ramification is that the files are harder (but still pretty easy) to find.

paul3100
January 7th, 2008, 11:08
Just because most of the xbox homebrew is illegal doesn't make it a bad homebrew console!

I have a dreamcast and love what it can do both with backups and homebrew/ emulators but having extra memory and a hard drive would just be fantastic.

As much as i do hate to say it the xbox probably for those reasons is the best bet for homebrew.

paul

Eviltaco64
January 7th, 2008, 16:01
OK, so mabye the Dreamcast's homebrew is made with a legal programming code, but say I wanted to get GenesisPlusDC (great emulator by the way), I would have to download ROMS which (if you dont own what you have), is illegal, making the entire thing illegal.

Sure there's some homebrew games that are great on DC, but a console without homebrew emulators seems a lot more dull to me. So, it doesnt matter to me whether the emulator I downloaded was made with C or SDK.

EDIT: Dreamcast was my homebrew console until it broke. Once I got a modded Xbox, I saw a BIG DIFFERENCE. XBMC and Surreal64 are the only words I have to say.

____anders____
January 7th, 2008, 18:57
yeah, the xbox is the best right now i think.

i have an 160GB hdd in mine, with *COUGH*62 "backup" games*COUGH*.

but i don't play them very often.. i usually play homebrew games and emulators.

Surreal 64 is the best!
the best homebrew game that i think is "super mario war"

and linux is cool to have on it too, along with Windows 98, anyone tried that?

it's still pretty fun to mess around with the xbox though.. until i buy a modchip for my wii or a softmod for it comes out..

EDIT: XBMC has many python scripts too, like youtube and msn scripts.
it also have a webbrowser that is pretty useful sometimes..

ExcruciationX
January 7th, 2008, 19:03
I'd say either the PSP or the Xbox.

Dreamcast is okay, yes you can put it on Dreamcast without modifications, but I haven't found much homebrew that's that great.

Xbox Media Center is the shit. Built in support for Xlink Kai is good, but if you use Xbox live, the need for it isn't big.

____anders____
January 7th, 2008, 19:14
xlink kai is pretty good if you have a modded xbox and want to play online..

it's too bad there's only players on halo 1 and 2..

booradley1212
January 7th, 2008, 19:14
XBMC and Surreal64 are the only words I have to say.

Word.

Xlink Kai

Let's get a Halo 2 game going and settle thing DC vs Xbox thing once and for all! :thumbup: Who's in???

booradley1212
January 7th, 2008, 19:15
What are you looking to play, anders?

____anders____
January 7th, 2008, 19:18
hehe the xbox would pwn the dc easily..
:D

EDIT: i usually play timesplitters future perfect..

but no one is ever playing it on xlink so i bought a wii cus it's free online play and there's different feeling with the wiimote..

i think the wii have more fun games than the 360, and i wanted to play super mario galaxy :D, thats why i bought the wii.

i'm waiting for a good d2c modchip that can be updated and one that is a lot less solderpoints (29 solderpoints is pretty much, i think) or hopefully a softmod will come out sometime.

JKKDARK
January 7th, 2008, 19:37
and settle thing DC vs Xbox thing once and for all! :thumbup: Who's in???

Yes, but I hope you can understand what bah said. He's totally right.

ExcruciationX
January 7th, 2008, 21:44
Name something that the Dreamcast has that the Xbox doesn't.

JKKDARK
January 7th, 2008, 21:48
Name something that the Dreamcast has that the Xbox doesn't.

legal homebrew development

Saturn emulation

homebrew servers

homebrew commercial games

homebrew stuff without modchip

ExcruciationX
January 7th, 2008, 21:55
Illegality is irrelevant to how good the homebrew actually is. I actually find homebrew on the Xbox easier then Dreamcast homebrew (except when the Dreamcast download section is up).

Is the Sega Saturn emulation fullspeed?

Xbox has tunneling software, and you can use the Killtrocity map pack.

You can softmod an xbox in ten minutes, tops. You don't need a mod chip (although for the best functionality, you do).

I'm with yah on the commercial games. Almost every game made for the Dreamcast was good, while the Xbox had only a few good games.

JKKDARK
January 7th, 2008, 22:04
tunneling software.. you can do it also for PS2 and GC. But since it's for LAN games, they don't work exactly as real online games.

If something is illegal or legal, it's very important. Try making a topic asking for help about PCSXBOX and the topic will be closed soon.
Don't support illegal stuff if you don't want to see your site being taken down.

Sega Saturn emulation on Dreamcast is not even with playable speed at the moment (less than 10 FPS). But at least BlueCrab is still working on it, and we shouldn't forget it's not an easy job.

And about homebrew commercial games, I was talking about the games developed and published by independent companies (for Dreamcast: redspotgames, Goat Store Publishing, etc).
It can be possible on the Dreamcast because it's legal, and you can't do it on the Xbox.

booradley1212
January 7th, 2008, 22:29
JKKDARK I'm not going to let you guys drag this convo down. The q was what's the best emulation console- it's XBOX hands down. All I was trying to say is ppl who still use DC should try it. Illegal, legal...whatever. We're all still using them to do "illegal" things...the point is irrelevant (to me.) I wouldn't play an emulation system without onboard memory ever again...I hated waiting and playing games from disks!

ANDERS I don't have timesplitters...if we both have a game I'd love to play...anyone interested in trying the coop in Doom 3?

booradley1212
January 7th, 2008, 22:31
And EX is right- you can mod an xbox without even opening the case, silly.

Eviltaco64
January 7th, 2008, 22:32
tunneling software.. you can do it also for PS2 and GC. But since it's for LAN games, they don't work exactly as real online games.

If something is illegal or legal, it's very important. Try making a topic asking for help about PCSXBOX and the topic will be closed soon.
Don't support illegal stuff if you don't want to see your site being taken down.

Sega Saturn emulation on Dreamcast is not even with playable speed at the moment (less than 10 FPS). But at least BlueCrab is still working on it, and we shouldn't forget it's not an easy job.

And about homebrew commercial games, I was talking about the games developed and published by independent companies (for Dreamcast: redspotgames, Goat Store Publishing, etc).
It can be possible on the Dreamcast because it's legal, and you can't do it on the Xbox.

Dont get me wrong, I love DC. But, abiding by the law and a Saturn Emulator that runs at 10 FPS automatically makes Dreamcast homebrew better?

WAIT!!! What if you get the wrong Saturn BIOS? That's like stealing a Sega Saturn!!

But you're right that DC has a great variety of homebrew. Dreamcast homebrew ranks among the top 3.

ExcruciationX
January 7th, 2008, 22:38
Yeah, I have a soft spot for my Dreamcast as well.

JKKDARK
January 7th, 2008, 22:44
JKKDARK I'm not going to let you guys drag this convo down. The q was what's the best emulation console- it's XBOX hands down. All I was trying to say is ppl who still use DC should try it. Illegal, legal...whatever. We're all still using them to do "illegal" things...the point is irrelevant (to me.) I wouldn't play an emulation system without onboard memory ever again...I hated waiting and playing games from disks!
I take it as a offense, and I know many people can say the same.
Running an emulator with the bios dumped from your own system and using the original discs or images dumped from your own cartridges/discs is NOT illegal. And that's what I do, since I always support legal emulation.
Since you are a member here on the DCEmu community, you should know we don't allow illegal stuff. That's why you can't discuss about any issue with your Xbox homebrew stuff.

Dont get me wrong, I love DC. But, abiding by the law and a Saturn Emulator that runs at 10 FPS automatically makes Dreamcast homebrew better?

WAIT!!! What if you get the wrong Saturn BIOS? That's like stealing a Sega Saturn!!

But you're right that DC has a great variety of homebrew. Dreamcast homebrew ranks among the top 3.
Please read my first reply to ExcruciationX on this thread, you should notice I didn't say only Saturn emulation..

Eviltaco64
January 7th, 2008, 22:52
I take it as a offense, and I know many people can say the same.
Running an emulator with the bios dumped from your own system and using the original discs or images dumped from your own cartridges/discs is NOT illegal. And that's what I do, since I always support legal emulation.
Since you are a member here on the DCEmu community, you should know we don't allow illegal stuff. That's why you can't discuss about any issue with your Xbox homebrew stuff.

Please read my first reply to ExcruciationX on this thread, you should notice I didn't say only Saturn emulation..

Please, maybe you do rip your own games and BIOSes, but honestly, ripping tools are scarce and expensive. You'd be better off playing the original copy of the game you own or just downloading a game that the company isnt making ANY money from anymore.

Dreamcast has a great selection of emulators (NesterDC SE, GenesisPlus, SNES Station, Bleemcast, etc.). But Xbox has Nintendo 64, Fullspeed SNES emulation, Sega CD, Sega 32X, CPS2, CPS3, More Arcade support, and so forth, and so on.

JKKDARK
January 7th, 2008, 23:06
Please, maybe you do rip your own games and BIOSes, but honestly, ripping tools are scarce and expensive. You'd be better off playing the original copy of the game you own or just downloading a game that the company isnt making ANY money from anymore.

Dreamcast has a great selection of emulators (NesterDC SE, GenesisPlus, SNES Station, Bleemcast, etc.). But Xbox has Nintendo 64, Fullspeed SNES emulation, Sega CD, Sega 32X, CPS2, CPS3, More Arcade support, and so forth, and so on.
Yes, I understand and I'm sure there are people who use emulators illegally. I just didn't like booradley1212's comment saying "We're all still using them to do "illegal" things", because that's not true.

As DCEmu is a legal emulation site, I think we shouldn't discuss illegal stuff, and then we will make a bigger community.
Of course, Xbox is better than Dreamcast illegally, but we should agree that Dreamcast is the best homebrew console legally.

Eviltaco64
January 7th, 2008, 23:17
Yes, I understand and I'm sure there are people who use emulators illegally. I just didn't like booradley1212's comment saying "We're all still using them to do "illegal" things", because that's true.

As DCEmu is a legal emulation site, I think we shouldn't discuss illegal stuff, and then we will make a bigger community.
Of course, Xbox is better than Dreamcast illegally, but we should agree that Dreamcast is the best homebrew console legally.

Well, technically, yes, but that doesnt make it better :D.

ExcruciationX
January 7th, 2008, 23:22
Well, technically, yes, but that doesnt make it better :D.
Yup, that's what I've been saying for a while now.

Also, JKKDARK, if you're using an emulator with ROM's you downloaded, then it's illegal. Legal ROM's are boring and defeat the purpose of downloading homebrew in the first place.

JKKDARK
January 7th, 2008, 23:31
Legal ROM's are boring and defeat the purpose of downloading homebrew in the first place.

The real and original point of using emulators is running your other systems on one system.

booradley1212
January 8th, 2008, 00:23
Meh. He's just being political...you have a site to protect, we get you.

Iceman^2
January 8th, 2008, 00:45
The PSP, hands down. It is portable and has more homebrew capability than the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast is a good choice for a home console though because it can emulate out of the box.

Eviltaco64
January 8th, 2008, 00:50
The PSP, hands down. It is portable and has more homebrew capability than the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast is a good choice for a home console though because it can emulate out of the box.

This is for the Greatest Homebrew Console.
There is another one for handhelds.

badwog69
January 13th, 2008, 14:13
Ps2!!

VampDude
January 24th, 2008, 00:51
Dreamcast, followed closely by the PS2 which is currently my homebrew console.

ubersk8kid
January 27th, 2008, 20:31
I would say a PSP, but other then that, I dont know :( ......
Reading some of the comments, it sounds like the DC would be the best IMO

Balthasar00
February 3rd, 2008, 18:15
Well, to avoid bias, this topic should be renamed to ''Greatest legal hombrew console'' Then, it would be right to praise DC as the greatest platform. As for now, looking back from 128bit era, there isn't any other system that carry that much functionality, support and potential.

JKKDARK
February 3rd, 2008, 18:39
I would say a PSP, but other then that, I dont know :( ......
Reading some of the comments, it sounds like the DC would be the best IMO

PSP is a handheld, not console ;)

Eviltaco64
February 3rd, 2008, 18:43
Well, to avoid bias, this topic should be renamed to ''Greatest legal hombrew console'' Then, it would be right to praise DC as the greatest platform. As for now, looking back from 128bit era, there isn't any other system that carry that much functionality, support and potential.

Well, if you are talking about "legal" emulators, then Gamecube technically wins for having a fullspeed SNES/MD(Genesis)/NES Emulator.
All DC SNES emulators are extremely slow (even after turning off mode 7 and switching the sound to Mono), GenesisPlusDC plays most Genesis games fullspeed, but sound emulation isnt accurate. NesterDC, however, is absolutely perfect in my opinion.

But when it comes to homebrew GAMES, the Dreamcast takes the cup.

Balthasar00
February 3rd, 2008, 19:45
Well, if you are talking about "legal" emulators, then Gamecube technically wins for having a fullspeed SNES/MD(Genesis)/NES Emulator.
All DC SNES emulators are extremely slow (even after turning off mode 7 and switching the sound to Mono), GenesisPlusDC plays most Genesis games fullspeed, but sound emulation isnt accurate. NesterDC, however, is absolutely perfect in my opinion.

But when it comes to homebrew GAMES, the Dreamcast takes the cup.

Thats good to hear. I'll have to reconsider GC. As for storage convenience, looks like both are in the same league.

Eviltaco64
February 3rd, 2008, 19:48
Thats good to hear. I'll have to reconsider GC. As for storage convenience, looks like both are in the same league.

Of course, Dreamcast is much easier to get homebrew running on.

Gamecube is one of the hardest.
Get SD Media Launcher.
Get GCOS.
Burn the .GCM to a Mini DVD-R (after making sure it is EXACTLY 1.35 GB).
Adjust the laser.
And presto! Smash Bros Melee running on a Gamecube in 5 Extremely easy steps!

aznflameboy
February 24th, 2008, 04:09
Dreamcast cuz I have no Xbox. lol Still havent figured out how my Dreamcast works though cuz Im currently occupied w/ my DS and Wii. I got the Dreamcast from a raffle and hardly played it cuz i got no games and i had only one controller.

Zense
March 10th, 2008, 19:36
The question should've been "What's the greatest in your opinion"

I'd say the xbox because of Xbmc

omadeli
March 16th, 2008, 21:39
PSP simple as

omadeli
March 16th, 2008, 21:41
o sorry consoles den probably xbox even though mine ain modded ive seen the things you can do with it

alanparker05
March 17th, 2008, 23:07
the xbox, because it can fully emulate all the old consoles and it's made from pc parts so is easy and cheap to modify like adding bigger harddrive and using pc usb peripherals

Jungle-Cat
April 14th, 2008, 05:37
No handhelds... 'else I'd say PSP.

I've never done any Xbox homebrew stuff, so I can't include it. So I'm going to have to say Dreamcast, though the lack of development isn't that good... SNES emulation has a lot of potential not being filled.

MHentai
April 14th, 2008, 23:58
original xbox for sure

Balthasar00
April 26th, 2008, 04:40
Of course, Dreamcast is much easier to get homebrew running on.

Gamecube is one of the hardest.
Get SD Media Launcher.
Get GCOS.
Burn the .GCM to a Mini DVD-R (after making sure it is EXACTLY 1.35 GB).
Adjust the laser.
And presto! Smash Bros Melee running on a Gamecube in 5 Extremely easy steps!

Mm lol I think I was on crack when I said that for storage they are comparable..

Dreamcast use disc.. Xbox can use disc, hdd and usb. You can jump from N64 emulation to snes to Dos, etc. in less than 10 sec each times. To set all things up for homebrew, it takes minimal skills and cost, ho and it takes 10 littles minutes. Running homebrews (referring to emulation and media center) on Xbox is superior. ok dreamcast may excel in nes and genesis emulation but well.. doesn't sound like a winner to me.

pkbunghole
November 13th, 2008, 16:43
Xbox>Wii>Dreamcast - I like the DC, but the Xbox and the Wii make homebrew more integrated into the console.

nyrol
May 17th, 2009, 18:08
Nintendo Wii

Scoe
June 16th, 2009, 00:15
Dreamcast

psyfirefly
March 15th, 2010, 16:53
PSP. I wish I kept mine purely for homebrew. The native games mostly suck.