PDA

View Full Version : What is the best RPG of all time?

shadowprophet
July 27th, 2005, 01:50
Hi ppl I opened this thread to once and for all end the debate of the best RPG of all time its all in the polls, please if there is a really great RPG that I didnt mention in my poll I apoligize:D and please feel free to exspress your opinions about that here :p

Cap'n 1time
July 27th, 2005, 02:15
none of thoes. shadow run is the greatest ever period.

quzar
July 27th, 2005, 02:22
No FF Mystic Quest? No Earthbound? No Super Mario RPG? you are missing out.

shadowprophet
July 27th, 2005, 02:25
Yes quzar mario Rpg is awsome ! earthbound is great ! But FF mystic quest!!

I want some of what your smokein bro :p lol

quzar
July 27th, 2005, 03:10
haha everyone says that but i love the game. it reminds me of Secret of Mana.

shadowprophet
July 27th, 2005, 03:43
haha everyone says that but i love the game. it reminds me of Secret of Mana.

Dont Get me wrong it wasnt a bad game by any means in my book,
It reminded me strongly of the gb final fantasy legends. The last boss was the kewlest fight of the whole game tho. Six arms each with a different sword.
Yeah come to think of it ff mystic quest did kinda rock didnt it:p

But still its wasnt a runner up for best RPG of all time tho :p

krowstrife
July 27th, 2005, 05:20
none of thoes. shadow run is the greatest ever period.

do you mean the megadrive or snes version
i liked booth but the snes one was hard to follow for me, i am a moron how ever :D

quzar
July 27th, 2005, 06:46
Dont Get me wrong it wasnt a bad game by any means in my book,
It reminded me strongly of the gb final fantasy legends. The last boss was the kewlest fight of the whole game tho. Six arms each with a different sword.
Yeah come to think of it ff mystic quest did kinda rock didnt it:p

But still its wasnt a runner up for best RPG of all time tho :p

you mean Final Fantasy Adventure, which is actually the first game in the Secret of Mana series. It was released under the name Final Fantasy in america because it was more popular that way. Also, it was re-released recently in a colorized expanded version as "Sword of Mana" for the GBA.

shadowprophet
July 27th, 2005, 08:11
Really final fantasy adventure was really the first secret of mana game?
I never knew that? How much would a copy of it fecth on ebay I have one :D

RedKing14CA
July 27th, 2005, 08:14
WTH? shouldnt final fantasy just be "final fantasy" not: "final fantasy 1, 2, 3," etc..

i think its ZELDA ocarina of time...

or maybe... uhh... wow ive nevr thought of that... duneon siege was good, but not too populaur

edit- secret of mana was actually final fantasy in disquise?? WTH is this world COMING TOO :eek:

ive never played !1! final fantasy game for more than an hour, its all so boring an not appealing to me! its too weird, to... japanese, lol, i like the more swordish, medi-eval RPG's :cool:

edit- but still, in the list of best RPG's final fantasy should take up ONE slot, the name stadning for ALL final fantasy's EVER! and come on, i heard knights of the old republic was good, although im STILL trying to buy it on ebay for less than 25$..

quzar
July 27th, 2005, 08:27
edit- secret of mana was actually final fantasy in disquise?? WTH is this world COMING TOO :eek:

no, Final Fantasy Adventure was Secret of Mana in disguise.

shadow: I bought 1 of each of the GB FF games (FF Adventure, Legends 1, 2 and 3) for 10$ a piece at gamestops. Also, as a sidenote, the other GB FF games Final Fantasy Legends 1/2/3 are actually from the SaGa series, they aren't Finaly Fantasy games at all (just like FF Adventure, they were named Final Fantasy to increase sales).

ScarletShadow
July 27th, 2005, 08:40
Out of the listed games, I would choose Chrono Trigger to be the greatest. I am curious to know if anyone else believes that Golden Sun belongs here. That game really pulled me in for the time that I played it. It gave me this epic feeling that I still can't shake off.

shadowprophet
July 27th, 2005, 10:33
I liked those I like part 2. but I really like part one better it had serval short gomes built into one I never played the ps2 version tho.

As for golden sun It reminded me a whole whole lot of a first generation ps1 game called beyond the beyond. which I Kinda liked back in the day. But by the time it hit gba The whole idea of the simi 3d battle system lost its apeal to me and seemed cheap. I suppose if I had given the golden suns more of a chance. I could have liked them. There is a bright side to all of this tho. At least no one has mentioned pokemon as an all time fav , lol I dont think I could take it lol :p

Redking bro I had to put all those different ff's in there. a whole lot of people dissagree which ff is the best ff. To put just the name final fantasy and just leave it at that, wouldnt be fair cause it would cover all of final fantasy and give it a truely unfair advantage.

Darksaviour69
July 27th, 2005, 10:56
out of the list i picked trigger, but i think panzer dragoon saga and Skies of Arcadia are better....to name 2

ptr.exe
July 27th, 2005, 11:52
Seriously, how was Skies of Arcadia not on that list? if it was it would get my vote.

I decided with Chrono however i havent yet played FF6 and in some circles it is said to be better than CT.

i think its ZELDA ocarina of time...
I would'nt classify that as an RPG, its an adventure game.

AirRaven
July 27th, 2005, 13:34
Skies of Arcadia.

...Not on there? Despicable.

(Chrono Trigger out of that selection.)

shadowprophet
July 27th, 2005, 13:55
There where a lot of great games that sliped my mind while I was createing the poll..If I had thought it out a little better,a lot of the suggestions you guys have made would be on there, plus the lunars would be up there too, Its my bad for not thinking the list through well enough :p
I would creat another but it would seem lackluster now that the poll is already under way . But any game anyone mentions here is open for the spot to win best RPG of all time. And anyone can vote for any game that sliped my mind while createing the poll. And I will tally up the score and anounce a winner when the thread is nearing the end of its life cycle.
So people keep those votes comeing in!!. We all really want our own game to win. and the only way to find out what truely is the best Rpg of all time is to cast a vote so keep em comeing:p

quzar
July 28th, 2005, 06:18
i wonder of all the people who have posted chrono trigger, how many are going with the whole online 'chrono trigger = holy grail' sentiment, and how many own the game and have actually played all the way through it multiple times.

shadowprophet
July 28th, 2005, 06:33
i wonder of all the people who have posted chrono trigger, how many are going with the whole online 'chrono trigger = holy grail' sentiment, and how many own the game and have actually played all the way through it multiple times.
But ive played through the complete game sevral times, in fact im working on going through it again now for the, umm im pretty sure the tenth time. Its been a really long time since ive been back through it all tho. But I just liked it that much. thats somthing I cant say about all the games ive completed. ive only been through ff 5 once, ff6 once, I never went through the plus game in chrono cross. I have to truely be hooked on a game before I will go through it multiple times. Some games such as ffx 2 I never even finish. just collecting them I suppose :rolleyes: but seriously on the note of ffx 2 ,that game really sucked.
Just cause the graphics where really good. and it was full of chicks doesnt make it a good game, or a final fantasy in my book,
Square has just been sloping the FF name on garbage (yes SLOPING!-not a typo-) cause the name sells.
I Sold my crystal chronicles for gc ten mins after I played it for the first time to a friend. If square doesnt stop FF is going fade away and die :(

Darksaviour69
July 28th, 2005, 10:41

i don't think chrono trigger is the holy grail, i never had a snes, but i did play most of it in a snes emu about 5 years ago, i thought it was very good (i thought i went on for too long ,but i turned out i stop playing just before the end! )

also i have not played any of thoses other rpgs ;)

Cap'n 1time
July 29th, 2005, 20:40
you and your mainstream RPGs.. SHADOW RUN IS THE CHAMPION!
Bahamut Lagoon was next.. And I liked FF2/4. I loved Mario RPG when I was young.

Chrono Trigger, ToP, Secret Of Mana, etc I never got into.
and I never played the megadrive version.. is it any differant ?

Oh. the only rpg that is worthy of mentioning next to SHADOW RUN- is Act Raiser.

Shadow Run and Act Raiser. they are the only two classic RPG's worth mentioning in my book- mainly because they both did somthing that hadnt been done before... and made it work.

xuphorz
July 29th, 2005, 21:09
could you add my rpg to that list? :rolleyes:

shadowprophet
July 30th, 2005, 00:20
could you add my rpg to that list? :rolleyes:
I havnt played your game yet. But in the sake of fairness,
If everyone had played it and agreed that it was the best, I would gladly hail it as the best rpg of all time xuphorz :D

quzar
July 30th, 2005, 00:39
i don't think chrono trigger is the holy grail, i never had a snes, but i did play most of it in a snes emu about 5 years ago, i thought it was very good (i thought i went on for too long ,but i turned out i stop playing just before the end! )

also i have not played any of thoses other rpgs ;)

well, it's for three reasons that it is considered a holy grail-ish game. 1) It is relatively rare. Not many were made compared to other RPGs for the SNES. 2) It was one of the first to do side-stories and extra features well (New Game+, 20+ different endings, more characters than can be in your party, non-linear action[although there is a mostly linear story]) 3) It was as good if not better in other areas than its contemporaries. The score was excellent, the 'i started off as just a kid' idea was played out very well, and the worlds, situations, enemies and allies were all great and varied.

Also, it is shorter than most of it's contemporaries (as long as you don't try fancy stuff).

orochi uali
July 30th, 2005, 01:42
Best Fighting System: Grandia (2)
Best Puzzles and new Ideas (think of the ability of reading people's minds): Golden Sun
Most interesting game world, sidequests and story: Final Fantasy VII

...and yes, I didn't play Chrono Trigger (untill now)

:D

Kaiser
August 2nd, 2005, 20:05
I had trouble deciding. Though final Fantasy VIII wasn't the greates RPG it was the first one I had really sat down and finished. I'm not much of an RPG lover but this game I have fond memories of. Then I tried FInal Fantasy X, the story was just great and every character was well developed however I found it way easier then say FFVIII also hell of a lot shorter. Of the two RPGs I actually finished I would go for FFX.

Haha I got a Kingdom Hearts save on my memory card from 2002 I should really finish that game.

shadowprophet
August 4th, 2005, 06:34
I had trouble deciding. Though final Fantasy VIII wasn't the greates RPG it was the first one I had really sat down and finished. I'm not much of an RPG lover but this game I have fond memories of. Then I tried FInal Fantasy X, the story was just great and every character was well developed however I found it way easier then say FFVIII also hell of a lot shorter. Of the two RPGs I actually finished I would go for FFX.

Haha I got a Kingdom Hearts save on my memory card from 2002 I should really finish that game.

I loved kingdom hearts. But after one wades through all the final fantasy stuff, your left with just an above average rpg with good graphics.

On a side note, I cant wait for final fantasy VII advant children to come out.
i know its just a move,But come on its gotta be way better then spirets within.

Hell what am I talking about the cut scenes from star craft where better then spirets within, And I didnt even like star craft all that much.

shadowprophet
August 7th, 2005, 19:59
Nobodies voted in a long time.
I wonder if its time to add up the score?
So far chrono triggers winning
So if you guys dont want chrono trigger to be the best Rpg of all time,
people should start voteing :rolleyes:

krowstrife
August 8th, 2005, 08:15
I never played the megadrive version.. is it any differant ?
the megadrive version is really different, i like the snes one but i just kept getiing stuck, i think i found someones apartment then got stuck, you know the was oneof the only games that scared me,that and fatal rewind for megadrive, i talking about when i was a kid

well you should check out the megadrive version, see if you like it

kingbuzzo
August 10th, 2005, 07:17
I like earthbound a lot more than chrono trigger. and I like shenmue more than anything!

ptr.exe
August 10th, 2005, 09:42
On a side note, I cant wait for final fantasy VII advant children to come out.
i know its just a move,But come on its gotta be way better then spirets within.
Was i the only person who liked that film? It wasnt great but it was by no means a bad film. Although Advent Children does look far superior already.

shadowprophet
August 10th, 2005, 10:00
Was i the only person who liked that film? It wasnt great but it was by no means a bad film. Although Advent Children does look far superior already.

But I was kinda let down. It just didnt seem like a final fantasy.
I suppose if I had watched it not expecting the things I where.
Perhaps I could have even liked it.
I still think it should have been called star craft the spirets within tho :p

shadowprophet
August 11th, 2005, 14:48
As I have said I will tally the votes and announce the best rpg of all time.
Since this thread is starting to show its age, Ive decided To announce a dead line. Tomorrow (friday) at midnight This election will be at its end,and I will announce a winner.

So Its looks like Chrono trigger is winning.

If anyone has anything to say about that, You still have time to vote:p
But in fairness of this election, Hurry because after a winner has been announced, future votes will not be counted:eek:

quzar
August 11th, 2005, 15:13
I like earthbound a lot more than chrono trigger. and I like shenmue more than anything!

i always thought the two games were similar. small town boy get's thrust into a larger thing, yet without too much insane stuff going on (like becoming a master swordsman overnight =P).

shadowprophet
August 11th, 2005, 17:58
Ive decided to just go ahead and announce it.

And here it is: The best RPG of all time :p

Thanks to all that voted. And if by midnight friday, I am somhow proved wrong I will change this.

But I dont see that happening :p

xuphorz
August 11th, 2005, 18:14
am i the only one that doesn't really like that game? :confused: