PDA

View Full Version : XBOX 360 concerns?

gimpyjr
July 27th, 2005, 05:20
Does anyone have any concerns about the 360 please do share them.

I will start with a few of mine. Please let me know your opinions and concerns thanks.

1) X360 is supposed to be the ultimate HD gaming machine but it's using a standard definition disc format. (9GB) capacity.

2) Backwards compatability for only top selling games!
Patches for other games are to be put on xbox live, but what about those people without highspeed internet and xbox live?

3) $60.00 per game

4) only 3 months until launch and there is still lag issues even on beta dev kits.

5) multi-core machine.Sure it's powerful, but so was sega saturn and look how hard that was to program for.

6) PS3 will cost more but also offer 50GB blu-ray disc for HD games and movies.

these are some of my complaints please tell me yours. :cool:

krowstrife
July 27th, 2005, 06:55
you provide extremely good points
mainly the media format Dvd, they should go with Hd-Dvd much more space, as for the programing mcrosoft is sending great devkits, has for lag, the current devkits aren't max power yet, all of your other concerns i more or less concur

gimpyjr
July 27th, 2005, 09:35
oh dude I couldn't agree more. My point is that more beta kits should be available 4 months away from lainch.

Darksaviour69
July 27th, 2005, 13:18
1) X360 is supposed to be the ultimate HD gaming machine but it's using a standard definition disc format. (9GB) capacity.
only time will tell if thats a problem

2) Backwards compatability for only top selling games!
Patches for other games are to be put on xbox live, but what about those people without highspeed internet and xbox live?

there will be 2 versions of xbox live, gold and silver. silver is free, and it includes downloading content

3) $60.00 per game

i don't know

4) only 3 months until launch and there is still lag issues even on beta dev kits.

i think there is a lot of rummors about the beta kits, but not enought hard info

5) multi-core machine.Sure it's powerful, but so was sega saturn and look how hard that was to program for.

the saturn is nothing like the xbox 360 (and i'm not talking about power), its stupid to compare, and with XNA the 360 could be the easyest of the next gen to program for

6) PS3 will cost more but also offer 50GB blu-ray disc for HD games and movies.

again hard to tell how important this is (will blu-ray replaces dvds, joe public does not like to keep buying new stuff unless there is a good reason to)

remember, sony back betamax over VHS (betamax what better), but as we all know VHS won.... its hard to tell what going to happen int he future

gimpyjr
July 27th, 2005, 19:06
the silver version of live isn't for playing the games, didn't you hear? All you can do is chat with other users and design T-Shirts for people to download off of xbox marketplace. LOL :-)

gimpyjr
July 27th, 2005, 19:11
Another thing is that both microsoft and sony are stressing that HD is the way to go. So if joe gamer wants to play his games the way they are meant to be played he will need an HD set.

Both sony and microsoft will make use of HD to it's max. Microsoft has even said that future versions of the 360 will utilize HD-DVD or another format. Blu-ray maybe hint hint hint

Blu ray wont destroy dvd it will merley join it.
Some people with HD sets want HD content and they will get it, and some have SD sets and they will be able to play their dvd's.

so PS3 users can have their cake and eat it to.

Darksaviour69
July 28th, 2005, 10:31
u can stilll download game content with the silver version (Patches), basicly the only important thing u can't do with silver is play multiplayer online games

gimpyjr
July 28th, 2005, 18:46
witch is the whole point of xbox live

gimpyjr
July 31st, 2005, 06:41
Now that microsoft is considering putting HD-DVD drives in their later xbox360 systems, how do you feel this will affect the launch systems?

I feel it will have a negative outcome, because nobody will spend 300 dollars on a machine that will need to be replaced in a few months.

wait for PS3 folks, it will cost more but will have more functionality with less hastle.

AKB
July 31st, 2005, 06:45
how funny, i still think ps3 is better if killzone looks as good as the trailor

krowstrife
July 31st, 2005, 07:57
well we wiil see what happens, i will eventually buy them all, i will prolly get the 360 first, has it comes out months before others, then REV, because i am diggin' the backwards compatability thing

AKB
July 31st, 2005, 08:13
Rev go back to nintendo right? or just to gameboy games?

gimpyjr
July 31st, 2005, 21:51

That's my point in this thread. PS3 is clearly the victor.

Microsoft has made terrible marketing blunders and will be utilizing an obsolete disc format.

also in no way can one game (halo 360) save the platform!

not at the PS3 launch date anyway

Cap'n 1time
July 31st, 2005, 22:13
That's my point in this thread. PS3 is clearly the victor.

Microsoft has made terrible marketing blunders and will be utilizing an obsolete disc format.

also in no way can one game (halo 360) save the platform!

not at the PS3 launch date anyway

no. dont be a fan boy. plenty of good titles are releasing on launch for 360-

Gears of War (uses by far the greatest FPS engine to date Unreal3)

The Elder Scrolls 4

and plenty of other titles. You cant declare a victor now (takeing the path of the retarded sony fanboy) you can only state your opinion.

gimpyjr
July 31st, 2005, 22:34
sorry about that. But you have to see that the games will be severly limited in size/length, do to the use of the 9GB DVD standard.

Bethesda has said that oblivion is a shorter game than morrowind because of disk space constraints. Despite the fact that HD-DVD will be supported in future 360's, nobody in their right mind will want to spend 60 dollars on a game, and 300 dollars on a system only to be told later that HD-DVD is supported in the new console and to come and buy one.

It's micro$oft ladies and gentlemen they will lick your pocket clean and then spit you out :-) If you remember when morrowind was first released it was just Morrowind. But then the bigger better game of the year addition came out which included the expansion packs. This will happen with all the launch titles can't you see it :-) The old gears of war, oblivion, PGR3, and others will ultimatley be replaced by their HD-DVD counterparts.

gimpyjr
August 1st, 2005, 08:41
buy a PS3 folks, it will cost you more but hey you get what you pay for.

plus PS3 is supposed to have a ten year lifespan.

sixtyten
August 1st, 2005, 09:16
My only 360 concern is the backwards compatibility. HD gaming really isn't that much of an issue to me. I grew up on my sister's old Atari, and got a Sega Genesis when I was about 5 (15 now). I'm stunned by current generation graphics as it is. My concern of the system is definitely of the possibility of it pulling a Saturn/Dreamcast. This system has major public support, that's for sure, but if there's a shortage of systems, it's a bitch to develop for, and if everyone knows the PS3 is going to cost a kidney, they're going to keep their money. I see a lot of similarities between the 360 and the Dreamcast function wise, and that's very exciting to me, so, even if the system is destined to die before this generation is over (which I doubt..) I'll still be getting one.

Darksaviour69
August 1st, 2005, 11:50

that was fake video, it was not running of ps3 hardware. still it looks that the ps3 will be more powerfull than the 360, but then the xbox is a lot more powerfull than the ps2 but the ps2 is the market leader

gimpyjr
August 1st, 2005, 17:06
It wasn't fake! the alpha-kits just weren't fast enough to run it at a decent framerate so it was pre-rendered using in game assets.

gimpyjr
August 1st, 2005, 17:09
Apparently HD gaming is a huge issue with microsoft. After all it's what they are basing the whole marketing campaign on. I can't stress enough however that you can't have real HD gaming on a 9GB disc. It's just not possible

sixtyten
August 2nd, 2005, 21:04
Apparently HD gaming is a huge issue with microsoft. After all it's what they are basing the whole marketing campaign on. I can't stress enough however that you can't have real HD gaming on a 9GB disc. It's just not possible
That's why they're going to have an HD-DVD upgrade...
Anywho, I really doubt that the PS3 will be any more powerful than the 360. Sony tends to lie about how their products will perform quite a bit. I have an old Gamepro magazine laying around which I bought for its Dreamcast content (even though I didn't have a Dreamcast when I bought it, around 1999) and it has "the first" PS2 screenshots, and they looked absolutely astounding. There were some of Tekken 3 and a few other games, and, those screenshots looked a whole lot better than the actual game ever did...