PDA

View Full Version : Illegal

RedKing14CA
July 27th, 2005, 08:11
you guys say were not allowed to talk about anything illegal on this forum, so i would like to address a few things

1. freedom of speech

2. some of the things are not illegal

list

UMD loaders
romsites (if you own the games)

(anything else? please post)

3. some things are illegal

downloading roms without owning the game
ripping movies to watch on a psp (i totally disagree with that but the foolish government doesnt)
downloading music (i KNOW it should only be illegal if the artists dont want you too)

quzar
July 27th, 2005, 08:34
if you think freedom of speech applies to this then you are an idiot. go into any store and start shouting profanities and see if it works.

This is a private forum, and the moderators and administrators here can allow or disallow access to anyone they wish, just like any private place. The things you posted are illegal.

it is NOT legal to download a rom ever without paying for it legally (i think starroms or something like that is the only place to do it). The DMCA applies to making archival backups of YOUR OWN cartridge/cd/media/whatever. Just because you own it does not give you the right to download a copy of someone elses, it does however give you the right to make as many copies as you want of the original, although you must only use one at a time.

xuphorz
July 27th, 2005, 15:33
go into any store and start shouting profanities and see if it works.
maybe that's why i got kicked out......

This is a private forum, the things you posted are illegal.
remember when Sony removed some PSP's off Ebay, saying it was copyright infringment?

it is NOT legal to download a rom ever without paying for it legally
this is the true statement, the one redring quoted is the common rumor

The DMCA applies to making archival backups of YOUR OWN cartridge/cd/media/whatever
they say you need a game copier to pc.
also, this rule implies that copying ps1 games to your computer is legal,
so why isn't it? cause sony's like that.
also (this is unusual) it's legal to have the game on your pc, AS LONG AS it is copied using that special thing, however that special thing is illegal to own.

Darksaviour69
July 27th, 2005, 15:43
1. this is not america, this is the internet.
2. when u joined the forum agreed to the terms and conditions of this site....that means u play by our rules.

btw that whole "you can have the rom for 24 hours if u don't own it" that is pure lies, also abandonware is a made up term, it is still illegal (public domain is legal)

quzar
July 27th, 2005, 16:00
remember when Sony removed some PSP's off Ebay, saying it was copyright infringment?

also, this rule implies that copying ps1 games to your computer is legal,
so why isn't it? cause sony's like that.
also (this is unusual) it's legal to have the game on your pc, AS LONG AS it is copied using that special thing, however that special thing is illegal to own.
They were enforcing rules that ebay should yet failed to enforce regarding importation.

Copying PS1 games to your computer IS legal, as long as it is your own game, and you don't use that copy unless the original has been destroyed.

FrozenIpaq
July 27th, 2005, 16:38
To comment on the first remark of the freedom of speech: Read the agreement that you signed/checked when you signed up on these forums

Žeddragon
July 27th, 2005, 17:29
Umd Loaders are Free. Do you know what that means to the people who made it and released it? Thats right they get no money. So why should they make the damn game if you are just gonna download it for free?

Snes emu and other emus are old and game production is over for it. Thats why we can do what we want to them. But don't worry we are still buying games from Nintendo and Sony.

J sims
July 27th, 2005, 17:46
They were enforcing rules that ebay should yet failed to enforce regarding importation.

Copying PS1 games to your computer IS legal, as long as it is your own game, and you don't use that copy unless the original has been destroyed.

Doesn't the rule state that you can use them both without destroying any of them just not at the same time?

xuphorz
July 27th, 2005, 17:52
no, i've only heard the original must not work in some way, but you still have to have it

Žeddragon
July 27th, 2005, 18:01
it is only illegal if you release your backup to others.

xuphorz
July 27th, 2005, 18:03
it is only illegal if you release your backup to others.

and you get caught ;)

BlackxKnight
July 27th, 2005, 18:29
1. this is not america, this is the internet.
2. when u joined the forum agreed to the terms and conditions of this site....that means u play by our rules.

btw that whole "you can have the rom for 24 hours if u don't own it" that is pure lies, also abandonware is a made up term, it is still illegal (public domain is legal)You know what i never understood is why the site has to abide by contries (whoever they may be) when some contries it may not be against the law....china perhaps.

or is it a decision made by the owner of the site to just prevent stepping on peoples toes even tho it may not be required. idk ive been to forums where anything is allowed and i always wondered what sets them apart from site like this one.

i by all meens will play by your rules....i guess i just wonder what dictates whats ok and whats not when it is the internet....ie whos going to get mad at you guys and what gives them the athority.

xuphorz
July 27th, 2005, 18:32
those site that you can talk about whatever you want, illegal stuff.
they often close the site, because of legal issues with nintendo, sony, microsoft, etc.

this site wants to avoid being shut down, and i don't want it to be shut down either

shizzle
July 27th, 2005, 19:40
i suppose it's in sonys contract or someting alike that which i imagine applies all over the world.

xuphorz
July 27th, 2005, 19:46
i suppose it's in sonys contract or someting alike that which i imagine applies all over the world.

yup, in one word it's called Copyright

Cap'n 1time
July 27th, 2005, 21:30
Il be simple with this. You freedom of speech relies heavily on the governing body, in this case the administrators of this site. Using these forums is your privelage, not your right.

It is totally illegal to download a rom. You must have THE ORIGINAL copy that you backed up.. not just some game and someone elses backup. also the 24 hour bullshit is simply that. bullshit.

Loaders- while not illegal, are immoral and are not to be discussed as the moderators disaprove of warez discussion of any type. If I were a mod I would have banned you just for making an idiot post like this.

Some one lock this.

quzar
July 27th, 2005, 21:33
Doesn't the rule state that you can use them both without destroying any of them just not at the same time?

yea, i used the wrong word, one just has to be non-functional or not being used. The other way is if it functions, but it is cost prohibitive to obtain the device to play it on that media (for example, it's ok to make a DVD-R of your old beta tape since finding a beta tape player would be difficult).

I would lock this, but I feel that for the time being it is serving a bit of a role of at least dispelling some common misinformation and making clear the stance/roles of the moderators and administrators of these forums.

wraggster
July 27th, 2005, 21:44
hmm i was just about to lock it, ill wait a bit

xuphorz
July 27th, 2005, 21:54
hey, wragg, did you get my email?

B_man55
July 28th, 2005, 10:51
There is only one way to decide on a correct opinion.... @$#* legality. ^_^

Darksaviour69
July 28th, 2005, 11:11
You know what i never understood is why the site has to abide by contries (whoever they may be) when some contries it may not be against the law....china perhaps.

or is it a decision made by the owner of the site to just prevent stepping on peoples toes even tho it may not be required. idk ive been to forums where anything is allowed and i always wondered what sets them apart from site like this one.

i by all meens will play by your rules....i guess i just wonder what dictates whats ok and whats not when it is the internet....ie whos going to get mad at you guys and what gives them the athority.

well in the end we have to go by the law of where our host server/ provider is.... i don't know what country that is...

anyway, the dreamcast scene has always tried to stay as legal as it can (with the exception of a few) and that has won us good favour with sega, from what i have heard , sega are unoffically proud of the dreamcast scene.

so we want the same thing for the psp scene, so all those other sites can have warez and warez related stuff, but we are thinking about the long term future of the scene.

and of course there is the moral question of helping warez when its so hard to game developers theses days

BlackxKnight
July 28th, 2005, 14:46
well in the end we have to go by the law of where our host server/ provider is.... i don't know what country that is...

anyway, the dreamcast scene has always tried to stay as legal as it can (with the exception of a few) and that has won us good favour with sega, from what i have heard , sega are unoffically proud of the dreamcast scene.

so we want the same thing for the psp scene, so all those other sites can have warez and warez related stuff, but we are thinking about the long term future of the scene.

and of course there is the moral question of helping warez when its so hard to game developers theses daysSo ultimatly you need to follow UK's rules (a assume thats where its hosted) and just to prevent starting anything with sega/sony you stay away from the things they dont tollerate to avoid them putting any more blocks on the production of homebrew. well maybe it all payed off if 2.0 is homebrew friendly. thanks for clearing that up for me.

quzar
July 28th, 2005, 16:48
actually the psp scene is already relatively illegal, even a lot of the stuff hosted here. as has been discussed (and ignored) emulation of the gba on a portable device is illegal. AND many of these ported things do not have sourcecode released with them, which is in violation of the licences that they are under. along with that the whole NeoCD iso/mp3 thing.

well, psp has a long way to go to keep 100% legal.

Darksaviour69
July 28th, 2005, 16:58
yeah i don't like it when open source licences are broken. is a gba emu yet for the psp?

Žeddragon
July 28th, 2005, 17:53
yeah i don't like it when open source licences are broken. is a gba emu yet for the psp?
There is actually two Gba Emulators. But both run at alround 6fps. And 2.0 is not hombrew friendly. It does however, have alot of stuff thats been hacked. Example; Wallpaper(bmp-png), web browser, some more audio,video, photo support. But not emulation lol.

kimi
October 3rd, 2005, 20:42
its legal tell thay cach u

F34R
October 4th, 2005, 06:30
Il be simple with this. You freedom of speech relies heavily on the governing body, in this case the administrators of this site. Using these forums is your privelage, not your right.

It is totally illegal to download a rom. You must have THE ORIGINAL copy that you backed up.. not just some game and someone elses backup. also the 24 hour bullshit is simply that. bullshit.

Loaders- while not illegal, are immoral and are not to be discussed as the moderators disaprove of warez discussion of any type. If I were a mod I would have banned you just for making an idiot post like this.

Some one lock this.

Another good point that we've tried to make on the backup copies issue. Maybe someone will get it eventually, if we keep saying it. As always, we seem to have the same point of view on this issue. Nice post.

plungmonies
October 5th, 2005, 13:27
legalities are a funny thing really, after all taping your favourite tv show is illegal.
strangely enough it was sony fighting in court for the legality of such a device for there new betamax recorders in the early 80's.

ironic,hypocritical or both?

quzar
October 5th, 2005, 15:33
legalities are a funny thing really, after all taping your favourite tv show is illegal.
strangely enough it was sony fighting in court for the legality of such a device for there new betamax recorders in the early 80's.

ironic,hypocritical or both?

taping a tv show is not illegal. the technique is called time-spanning. There are certain things that are illegal to tape, pay-per-view programs for example, but everything else is legal to tape for personal use. If you showed it in a public place though, that would be illegal.

kimi, i don't know why you bumped this OLD topic, which must have been a good 40-50 pages back, just to talk about your warez fun. It's not a good idea to brag about that kind of thing and it sure as hell doesn't make you look cool.

Now it's the time where I do what i was going to do 4 months ago...