PDA

View Full Version : Sony officially announces Skype on PSP

wraggster
January 6th, 2008, 23:26
As if we didn't already know, Sony just spit out a press release announcing the availability of Skype on PSP courtesy of a firmware update due later this month. After the update, a Skype icon will be available under the Network menu, allowing users to create a new account or login with their existing one. Otherwise, it's Skype as usual: free calls between Skype users; SkypeOut to make calls to regular old phones; SkypeIn to receive calls on your PSP (just don't answer the phone in front of a potential mate). There is one notable caveat however: Skype will only work on the PSP-2000 (ie: PSP Slim, PSP Lite, PSP Petite). We're not sure if there's a hardware limitation preventing the original PSP from using the service but our best guess is that whatever microphone attachment is released may not be compatible with the older model. Also, no word if Skype functionality will be enabled in-game. More as we hear it, folks.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/06/sony-officially-announces-skype-on-psp/

DPyro
January 6th, 2008, 23:33
I hope it's only software related or I might have to buy a PSP slim :(

F9zDark
January 6th, 2008, 23:45
Guess I am buying one then, as much as I don't want to.

mcdougall57
January 7th, 2008, 00:06
its one of those things ill buy but never use

Cloudhunter
January 7th, 2008, 00:07
Guess I am buying one then, as much as I don't want to.

Meh, you don't really lose much :) I've got one.

Cloudy

Buddy4point0
January 7th, 2008, 00:22
via homebrew we original psp owners better be able to use this

Cloudhunter
January 7th, 2008, 00:44
Or just use the tool Noobz have just released for free VoIp :)

Cloudy

Veskgar
January 7th, 2008, 04:09
I changed over to my Slim PSP 100% now and rarely pull out my classic PSP. Skype would be a very cool feature to have on my Slim.

So another firmware update coming later this month huh? I wonder if it will also allow the new 16GB memory sticks SONY has on the way.

Does anyone know the PSP Slim's current memory stick size limit?