View Full Version : Fanjita is Back - Furikup - PSP SIP Phone - Make phone calls with your PSP

wraggster
January 7th, 2008, 00:06
Fanjita announced in the skype thread (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2147998241#post2147998241) that the NoobZ team are back :)

Heres the full details on this release:

Sometimes it's important to assert the dominance of homebrew features over Sony's lacklustre official firmwares.

Take the forthcoming PSP phone functionality. According to various rumours, Sony will shortly announce (in a few regions of the world) some new software to allow you to make and receive phone calls with your PSP via wifi, which may or may not be based upon the popular Skype platform.

That's nice, but there are a few flaws:

It's not yet clear how much it will cost to obtain the software, to subscribe to the service, and to make calls
It's not likely to be available in all countries
It's rumoured to only run on the PSP Slim - what about all those loyal early-adopters? :(
It will probably only support a limited subset of possible voice platforms - e.g. maybe just Skype, which is notoriously bad at interoperating with other networks.

Here at Noobz, we're fans of freedom. So we thought we'd release our own PSP Phone software - and here it is, codenamed "Furikup" (it's a geeky protocol-based joke, don't worry about it).

Here are some of Furikup's best features:

It's free software - in both the beer, and speech senses.

You can use it anywhere in the world, subject to signing-up to a suitable local SIP-based voice-over-IP provider and being near a usable wifi access point. In many countries, you can find those for free or nearly-free - e.g. with SIPGate, in the UK, you can call to your PSP from any standard phone (landline or cellphone) for just the standard local call cost, and from PSP to another SIP phone (another PSP or a PC) for free.
It runs on both slim and fat PSPs.

It uses open standards, for maximum compatibility with other phone systems.
You can use a Go!Cam (Chotto Shot), Talkman microphone, or SOCOM-style headset for audio input. (And even if you don't have any of those, you can still send audio from a WAV file in a pinch).
It's still pretty much beta software - the audio quality needs some work (but it is usable), the UI isn't very pretty, and video calls aren't working (yet!). But it works, and it's a nice demo of what is possible.

Since this is open source homebrew software, there are endless possibilities as to what inventive minds could do with this engine. We'd like to see a much nicer GUI (we suck at UIs!), and maybe a custom firmware plugin to use the engine as a teamspeak-style add-on feature for online games. Go on, go crazy and show us what you can do with it - you have our blessing!

The download link is below. Make sure that you read the README.HTML file (we don't write them just for fun...)

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments
via noobz (http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/news/make-phone-calls-with-your-psp.html)

DCEmu Supports Noobz and asks all DCEmu Members and Guests to DIGG (http://digg.com/gadgets/Noobz_release_phone_application_for_the_Sony_PSP_F urikup) The Noobz Story

mikebeaver
January 7th, 2008, 00:13
Nice one Fanjita, glad to see you and the team never give up on out-doing Sony every time :)

Mike..

superadamwo
January 7th, 2008, 00:23
Excellent to see Fanjita is back. Once you've had a taste you can't get enough, eh :P

crona
January 7th, 2008, 00:27
hehehe... i knew a homebrew version would come eventually, but DAMN that was fast! the official version isnt even out yet! now, where can i get my hands on a compatible mic...?

Buddy4point0
January 7th, 2008, 00:27
OMG this is big!
this is really awsome!
this is a really really big achievement and is really awsome!
thanks i would be trying this but untill i get my psp fixed i can't try any of this new homebrew :(

Eviltaco64
January 7th, 2008, 00:32
Thats awesome

CaptainMorgan4
January 7th, 2008, 00:35
So this is just using a Voice over IP, like we type in what we want to say to the operator and he relays it to the person your calling? We already had a program like this before a while back, can someone tell me if this is the same idea?

kyyubidx
January 7th, 2008, 00:38
ZOMG!! Fanjita FTW and F-Sony too... great release!! and now its all mine :P

mike_jmg
January 7th, 2008, 00:58
Nice, but I just found out that here in my country as always, voice ip comunication is banned, because my internet provided is also the phone company (damn Telmex).

So I think I wont be able to use this kind of stuff

Cloudhunter
January 7th, 2008, 01:02
It's true VOIP - it will allow you to talk using voice to other users, or even to a real phone.

Cloudy

PSP-1412
January 7th, 2008, 01:04
good decision to come back

Gene
January 7th, 2008, 01:10
I don't quite understand. Is it free? Or does it charge the phone I call to?

SSaxdude
January 7th, 2008, 01:11
It's nice to see Fanjita back in the scene.

jurkevicz
January 7th, 2008, 01:28
I'm glad to see him back!

lampsta
January 7th, 2008, 01:28
:eek:F*** YEA! I was all bummed out cuz the sype is only 4 slim but wow!!!GREAT RELEASE!!!:thumbup:

kyyubidx
January 7th, 2008, 02:00
someone care to explain the concept please? I'm kinda ignorant on the subject

NoQuarter
January 7th, 2008, 02:30
wow,I've been waiting for this sort of app!!
Nice job!
The psp is turning out to be a phenominal handheld.

MicroNut
January 7th, 2008, 02:49
DCEMU has been slashdotted: http://slashdot.org/

ICE
January 7th, 2008, 02:59
will this work with a skype or google account?

joesnose
January 7th, 2008, 03:13
will this work with a skype or google account?

no, you need a sip account

ICE
January 7th, 2008, 03:16

Thank you sir ;)

DarthPaul
January 7th, 2008, 03:46
Jesus Christ this is f***ing awesome!!

I read "Fanjita is back" and I wanted to cry, that was one of the things I answered that I wanted to see in the scene! But then I read... "Phone on PSP!" , Oh My God... then "all the world".. OHH! Thank you PSP! Thank you Fanjita! Thank you Homebrew Scene! This is surely a day for the history. Nice "Three King's Day" present for me. :)

I'm gonna test this right now.

Edit: Oh... damn. I don't have a microphone neither a Go!Cam... I guess I'm screwed... oh well, I'll just use my cellphone to make calls... :(

Mr. Shizzy
January 7th, 2008, 04:50
Holy crap !

Totally awesome.
Once again, my hats off to Fanjita & Team Noobz :D

hockey2112
January 7th, 2008, 04:50

Anyone have any suggestions on where someone can get a free or cheap SIP account in the US?

MicroNut
January 7th, 2008, 05:01
Anyone have any suggestions on where someone can get a free or cheap SIP account in the US?

http://www.sipphone.com/

jackal_psp
January 7th, 2008, 05:34
thx fanjita. welcome back. i knew the homebrew community would support the PSP phat owners unlike Sony.

LAMPRO
January 7th, 2008, 05:42
woah this is the next stage. fanjita has kept his reputation stellar as usual.

Veskgar
January 7th, 2008, 06:23
This is really incredible news. This is something I will pay close attention to. It will be great to see what develops and evolves from this.

Really amazing stuff. Thanks Fanjita & Noobz!

blackrave
January 7th, 2008, 11:03
Yes, this is truly amazing news. Noobz rock! No need to get a slim PSP for VOIP calls now (only rumoured?)!

As mentioned in the readme, this can be modified to be used in the XMB, in-game, and what-not. Video calls will also be awesome. This is the drop that will make me buy a Go!Cam.

Thanks a million again, Noobz!

HellsPlumber
January 7th, 2008, 11:32
Gotta try this =D
Gotta find someone who uses it too =P

Bastion
January 7th, 2008, 13:45
I cant' get sipphone to work.

Chackan
January 7th, 2008, 13:52
LOL, wasn't expect this so soon! Maybe this teaches Sony. We have Voip earlier than they do :D

Squid_Lord
January 7th, 2008, 21:34
This is amazing, now, could someone tell me how to put my friends cell phone on the thing? I have it added on my sip account on "MySIPphone" and I need help setting up the "contacts.txt" to set up my friends number on it [he doesn't have SIP]

ExcruciationX
January 7th, 2008, 21:42
Pretty cool. :)

PoorKingz
January 8th, 2008, 00:47
Is the server for sipphone.com "sipphone.com"? Or something like sip.sipphone.com? I get stuck at the register with server part.

Squid_Lord
January 8th, 2008, 02:44
it's "proxy01.sipphone.com"

PoorKingz
January 8th, 2008, 04:49
it's "proxy01.sipphone.com"

Thanks.

I tried it with my 2 PSPs with a headset (the good $30 one for online gaming). The audio quality sorta sucks. A lot of background noise and you can barely understand the other person. Its usable, though. Look forward to updates.

pibs
January 8th, 2008, 05:03
heard about sonys from ces08, never thought hb scene would of had one out so soon.

you seize to amaze me fanjita

PsychosisAU
January 9th, 2008, 03:55
Is there a SIP provider which offers free calls to landlines? Is it compatible with Furikup?

No_one_in_particular
January 9th, 2008, 04:37
I doubt it, surely that's where they make the money from?

E.J.
January 9th, 2008, 15:09
I think it would be nice to have a port of Gizmo (the 'real' Skype killer) on the PSP, as far as i know the app has been ported to Win, Linux, Mac, etc...