PDA

View Full Version : Sony intros 16GB Memory Stick Duo

wraggster
January 7th, 2008, 01:22
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/01/memorystick16gb.jpg

Sony's finally getting really, really serious about the Memory Stick. The company is launching a hefty 16GB version of its loved / hated MS Duo. There's not much else. It's a Memory Stick Duo. It's 16GB. It will be available in March for $300. Enjoy.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/06/sony-intros-16gb-memory-stick-duo/

jurkevicz
January 7th, 2008, 01:27
WOW, I could use one of those but $300?? Ouch!

Shadowblind
January 7th, 2008, 01:28
Geez, for $300 even this doesn't sound good. I'd rather just get a 16GB iPod touch with that money. Costs about the same, anyway.

DCergo
January 7th, 2008, 02:12
As with everything all memsticks when they first come out are expensive, but drop fast.

When 2GB memstick pro duos first came out, they were $400. Now? in the neighborhood of $30 or less?

osgeld
January 7th, 2008, 02:13
eh give it a year ittl be 100$ and we will be bitching about the cost of the 32gb memory stick

jurkevicz
January 7th, 2008, 02:16
That's true!

No_one_in_particular
January 7th, 2008, 02:51
Will this have the same issues with homebrew as the 8GB?

Pimp13
January 7th, 2008, 03:03
Yaaay more ISO's/CSO's/illegal homebrew/ROMS/ AND MORE PIRACY YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY.

No.

ian h
January 7th, 2008, 03:15
Will this have the same issues with homebrew as the 8GB?

and also how much is 300 dollars in ukpounds?

p.s. welcome back noobz!!!psp phone!!!

PSPdemon
January 7th, 2008, 03:29
yea, by the looks of how memory cards are going... every new card goes for about $300-$400... but after a year they go down to about $100 to make way for the next biggest one.

so dont worry....just like osgeld said, in a year it will go down to about $100

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

No_one_in_particular
January 7th, 2008, 03:34
Bout £150, isn't it?

ian h
January 7th, 2008, 03:40
Bout £150, isn't it?

yh just asked my best mate google!

DarthPaul
January 7th, 2008, 03:41
Jesus Christ... $300..

lampsta
January 7th, 2008, 03:52
Yeaaaa.......... thats nice but i think im gonna stay with my 4gb for now. at least untill the price drops:(

Veskgar
January 7th, 2008, 04:01
I was hoping for a 32GB but 16GB would DEFINITELY work. What's up with the Mark2? Does that mean this is much faster than current SONY sticks. Because SONY sticks tend to be very slow compared to SanDisk.

Another thing, with the latest 3.80 firmware for the PSP what is the limit for PRO Duo storage? I thought it was 8GB. So it would be safe to assume we'll see another PSP update in March or before with one new feature being 16GB limit.

But still, $300.00 is crazy. I guess we all need to realize that there are some people who consider $300.00 to be pocket change and there is probably a small niche market willing to spend that much for this particular stick. If this stick is fast, it'd be worth $120.00 to me for all I'd use it for. So I'll be waiting for the price drops.

With all else said though, it is very encouraging to see SONY focusing on giving its products more storage. I've got the 80GB PS3 and the more I can fit on my Slim PSP, the better.

VexnadFett
January 7th, 2008, 04:32
They might as well make it gold, zelda cartridge style!
300 dollarinies! yowza!

Mr. Shizzy
January 7th, 2008, 04:48
Another thing, with the latest 3.80 firmware for the PSP what is the limit for PRO Duo storage? I thought it was 8GB. So it would be safe to assume we'll see another PSP update in March or before with one new feature being 16GB limit.

No, that was lifted a while ago. (I think with the 2.80 update) 3.52 & 3.71 M33 custom firmwares (and official $ONY) are capable of 32 GB. ;)

mike_jmg
January 7th, 2008, 05:22
Whoa!!

But yeah, I was hoping for the 32GB one although 16Gb is hell a lot of homebrew haha, and videos, music, pictures, etc

$300 is way too much, but that was the price of the 8Gb when it first came out, I'll be waiting for next christmas and a nice price drop to $150

Eviltaco64
January 7th, 2008, 05:28
That's amazing.

They should also make 10 and 12GB models as well for people who want to save some money.

Panda Bear K
January 7th, 2008, 05:48
The 16 gb card is coming out?! O, guess it's finally time to get the cheapened up 4gb one. This is actually really smart, you just keep people buying mem cards, as long as you have a long line of lowered tiered cards for the mass market.

Veskgar
January 7th, 2008, 06:07
Well, with this new memory stick news I poked around SanDisk's website and to my great pleasure learned that they now finally make 8GB PRO Duo memory sticks. Even better than that, they have an Ultra II version of an 8GB PRO Duo.

Check it out:

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(2471)-SDMSPDH-8192-SanDisk_Ultra_II_Memory_Stick_PRO_Duo_8GB.aspx

That is definitely my next memory stick. I have both 2GB and a 4GB Ultra II and I swear by them. There is a noticeable increase in performance and reliability with the Ultra II sticks. Loading zipped roms is faster, no lag when playing .cso backups, and when moving a lot of files to/from your PSP, its MUCH faster than the SONY brand sticks.

I don't know why SanDisk is so much faster, but I'm not complaining.

CaptainMorgan4
January 7th, 2008, 06:23
I'll probably end up buying this in like a year and a half, we'll see how the price goes.

bah
January 7th, 2008, 07:51
Veskgar: You can tell a difference?

I have a 1GB sandisk standard (Blue) and a 4GB Ultra II and cannot notice any difference at all. Perhaps it is in ways imperceivable to me, I've never thought 'wow, that was faster' though.

Veskgar
January 7th, 2008, 08:52
Veskgar: You can tell a difference?

I have a 1GB sandisk standard (Blue) and a 4GB Ultra II and cannot notice any difference at all. Perhaps it is in ways imperceivable to me, I've never thought 'wow, that was faster' though.

Well comparing standard vs. Ultra II the differences are best seen if you are copying a LOT of file like ROMS, themes, pictures, mp3, etc. Write speed to the Ultra II is definitely better. And if I'm loading up a 400-500MB .CSO game backup, there is a 2-3MB increase in write speed when copying to Ultra II.

However, with that said, loading up a zipped SNES rom in Snes9xTYL may be so little of a difference one may not notice. And playing most game backups will perform equally well. Some games just cannot be .CSO compressed without some lag period. On the Ultra II a game that lags if .CSO'd may have less frequent lag, but the lag will still be there.

It all depends on how often and what you use your PSP for. And for all that I do with the PSP, I do prefer the Ultra II sticks.

Kramer
January 7th, 2008, 10:28
I dont get why these cards are so damn expensive?

It's so small and mass produced.... It's not like there hand made in italy and only one is made a week gosh.

No_one_in_particular
January 7th, 2008, 10:34
That's amazing.

They should also make 10 and 12GB models as well for people who want to save some money.
Can they do that? I thought it could only go 1>2>4>8>16>32 and so on.

tisti
January 7th, 2008, 11:00

p.s. welcome back noobz!!!psp phone!!!

300£ or 300€, depends where you buy it :p Got to love the $ to €,£ conversion

Keitaro Urashima
January 7th, 2008, 11:11
Alright... More storage space for games, music & movies.

boo128
January 7th, 2008, 11:20
300£ or 300€, depends where you buy it :p Got to love the $ to €,£ conversion

This sums it up perfectly for all European purchases!:(

devdj
January 7th, 2008, 13:14
well right now 300 dollars translates to roughly about 203 euro but when and if we get it here in rip off Ireland it will cost allot more than 203 euro because it will not go form dollar to euro it will go from dollar to crappy pound which thenthe price will be even higher because of our extremely high tax rate thanks to that no good traitor Bertie Ahern hope he gets what's cumin to him after shaking his hands with that dirty wanker ian paisley

Shrygue
January 7th, 2008, 13:43
$300 = £152. That's the conversion.

It won't be long until it drops back to something like £50 or so. 16GB of space for PSP is good for haveing lots of homebrew, photographs and music all in one place.

mcdougall57
January 7th, 2008, 16:49
id be expecting this to have a pretty slow transfer rate like the first 8gb ones ill be waiting till a high speed compatible one is released

Veskgar
January 7th, 2008, 17:49
id be expecting this to have a pretty slow transfer rate like the first 8gb ones ill be waiting till a high speed compatible one is released

Yup, I don't know what SONY's problem is. Expensive, higher capacity storage means nothing if it takes forever to load up a lot of files to and from the memory stick.

I probably won't get this particular stick but when/if SanDisk releases a 16GB I'll definitely want one pretty bad.

darn02
January 7th, 2008, 18:38
$300 only about £150 over here which isnt that much saying the psps only £129

koh-kun
January 7th, 2008, 19:11
I dont get why these cards are so damn expensive?

It's so small and mass produced.... It's not like there hand made in italy and only one is made a week gosh.

It's 'expensive' because it's new technology, that's why. Think of all the brainstorming that went into making this thing. Plus, it's aimed toward professional photographers too; not just homebrewers and software-pirates. They spend like $10k on a camera and extra for lenses, what's another $300 for extra memory?

Oh, and also because Sony likes making profit. Can't blame 'em though lol

Zin0099
January 8th, 2008, 07:25
i'll get 32gb and a psp with a hdd feature if that's the new psp 3 then i'll have 1 hack and 1 not for newer games
and maybe a slim psp