PDA

View Full Version : First images of PSP mic and Skype

Shrygue
January 7th, 2008, 14:38
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=178760)

Here is the first glimpse of the upcoming Skype software integrated into PSP's XMB firmware, and the accompanying PSP microphone peripheral.

Skype is a voice-over-IP (internet) program that will allow PSP users to make voice calls to other PSP owners via the web.

As reported earlier, Skype will rather shockingly only be available for PSP Slim units, not the old-school fat ones. Soz, early adopters.

The microphone peripheral necessary for voice chat will go on sale in Japan on January 24 for 2,500 Yen (£) for one, or 4000 Yen (£) for a two pack, according to Famitsu.

Neither the microphone nor Skype service has been dated for UK. Sony has also revealed a 16GB Memory Stick Duo for PSP too, which will be out in March and cost a fortune.

Images of Skype mic here (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/viewer.php?mode=article&id=189824)

Spyzius
January 7th, 2008, 15:09
I don't understand why its only for slim users

Baboon
January 7th, 2008, 15:17
I don't understand why its only for slim users

Cause $ony are money grabbing bar stewards! :mad:

Good job we've got fanjita and co on the case as they've just released a homebrew version that works on phat and slim psp's. :thumbup:

PSPdemon
January 7th, 2008, 15:54
you know.....

that mic sure does look lke the Talkman mic... i wonder if they are both the same ( and can work the same )

i bieleve that the skype is going to be exactly like 1seg by the way it looks ( im almost guarenteeing it )

but im gonna now say that i can almost gaurentee you that there will probably be a new firmware update before skype psp comes out... *sigh*

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

DarthPaul
January 7th, 2008, 15:56
^ Before Skype comes out? I don't think so. They said Skype will becoming this month in a firmware update... unless they make 3.81 or something.

My guess: Skype's firmware will be 4.00

PSPdemon
January 7th, 2008, 16:09
^ Before Skype comes out? I don't think so. They said Skype will becoming this month in a firmware update... unless they make 3.81 or something.

My guess: Skype's firmware will be 4.00

heh... yea i suppose...

i wonder what other new things they will bring with the 4.xx firmwares...

there are a few predicitions im really looking forward to and would love to see come true ( widget support and multiple video format support like divx )

i guess in time we will find out :p

-Xandu-
January 7th, 2008, 16:57
I don't see real good use of Skype on a PSP though. If you're going to make a phone call you'll need a wireless access point. Not really handy, plus it's only for Slim. Bad move by Sony.

Uberman
January 7th, 2008, 17:08
F@#k I hate that! Please don't post links to sites that change your browser window geometry without at least giving us a warning. Resizing and moving your browser window without asking is so rude, it instantly pisses me off.

Axelius
January 7th, 2008, 17:37
What makes me wonder, is the fact that it says Copyright 2005 on the picture of the microphone... And in 2005 the was no PSP slim...

So either this is fake or this feature was planned a long time ago and might also work on the PSP Phat.

HellsPlumber
January 7th, 2008, 18:09
So all of us who have had PSPs from the start are left behind by Sony. They have a way of makin you feel appreciated huh? =P

Buddy4point0
January 7th, 2008, 22:20
i wish it was actually a headset.
i don't know if i like the idea of it just being on the top of the psp. seams like it might pic up a lot of background sound.