PDA

View Full Version : When will hackers start?

IndianCheese
July 28th, 2005, 00:31
When will hackers begin working on cracking the 2.0 version? Soon, or never?

YourStillWithMe
July 28th, 2005, 02:16
Obviously very soon because they realize that people are now faced with the decision to upgrade because the new games have ben requiring an upgrade. If we want this system to be around we will need to buy the games! Hackers do not want to keep us at 1.5 because than we'll end up with another Dreamcast and it will go out of production! So to answer your question Indian Cheese-There def. gonna try to crack 2.0 rather than 1.51 or 1.52 because were now forced (basically) to upgrade if we want to keep buying games (WHICH IS WHAT YOU SHOULD DO!) GTA-Liberty city stories, Madden 06, NBA Live 06 to name a few good upcoming titles!

shadowprophet
July 28th, 2005, 03:03
The only person I know truthfuly to be qualified enough to answer this one would be quzar, I have a really ignorant question, and I dont want to sound like a noob. But this question goes way beyond what I know of codeing/hacking/programing by far. And quazar is the only person I would know that may even know the answer to it in truth.
So I will just ask it. Is it possible to homebrew a fimrware for a console or portible. I realize one would need offical digital signitures and such. and im not asking with the psp in mind. Just a general firmware question. Would it be possible for somone to (homebrew) a firmware version. Not an update miind you, An entire firmware set. I realize how impossibly difficult this would be and I realize it will most likely never happen as well. My question is simply is such a thing even possible in (homebrew hands) ?

My question was just a curious one. and I didnt see the need to start a new thread for a question that I would only trust the answer to, by one person. So I put it here.

Many pardons if ive somhow jacked up the flow of this thread :p

IndianCheese
July 28th, 2005, 04:12
well, i don't think its possible. it would require a LOT of coding, and one bug could cost you your system. however, a good idea would be to edit a 2.0 update PBP and remove all security updates. but wtf am i talking about? i don't know anything about the hacking part. but even if a homebrew firmware was created, you would have to first get past the system's current security. there's your catch-22 situation. i guess you would have to update with a 1.5. ok, enough rambling.

final question: is it possible for hackers to create a program like kxploit that would perform some sort of exploit to the system and bypass the security? or would you have to have your psp actually PHYSICALLY altered?

Žeddragon
July 28th, 2005, 05:15
well, i don't think its possible. it would require a LOT of coding, and one bug could cost you your system. however, a good idea would be to edit a 2.0 update PBP and remove all security updates. but wtf am i talking about? i don't know anything about the hacking part. but even if a homebrew firmware was created, you would have to first get past the system's current security. there's your catch-22 situation. i guess you would have to update with a 1.5. ok, enough rambling.

final question: is it possible for hackers to create a program like kxploit that would perform some sort of exploit to the system and bypass the security? or would you have to have your psp actually PHYSICALLY altered?

Please think before what you say. And if nothing is good then don't say it at all. And yes it is HIGHLY possible to use homebrew on the 2.0. But not as of now it just been released!
I am very annoyed by you because version 2 was released today. And how in the ****ing world should a programmer hack the version in one day, if it is new! Just do what every leacher is doing. Hang back and take a quite pill.

Have a nice day :D

shadowprophet
July 28th, 2005, 05:21
Please think before what you say. And if nothing is good then don't say it at all. And yes it is HIGHLY possible to use homebrew on the 2.0. But not as of now it just been released!
I am very annoyed by you because version 2 was released today. And how in the ****ing world should a programmer hack the version in one day, if it is new! Just do what every leacher is doing. Hang back and take a quite pill.

Have a nice day :D
highly possible ? As of right now its completely impossible. And since the new firmare just came out I would assume the security has been agressivly overhauled to make sure that its nearaly impossible to run homebrew upon.
Not saying that it will never be possible tho. but my estimation is dont exspect to see a 2.0 psp running homebrew this year.

Žeddragon
July 28th, 2005, 07:33
highly possible ? As of right now its completely impossible. And since the new firmare just came out I would assume the security has been agressivly overhauled to make sure that its nearaly impossible to run homebrew upon.
Not saying that it will never be possible tho. but my estimation is dont exspect to see a 2.0 psp running homebrew this year.

Please reread my post because you just read the first line.

shadowprophet
July 28th, 2005, 07:44
No offence Its just the the post doesnt make much since red.
To say somthings highly possible when its clearly is not and then go on in the same post and say its not. Is an oxymoron. You cant say somthings highly possible. When its just not. You could say,it is highly possible that we may someday play homebrew on a 2.0 but to say its highly possible and leave that same statement as it is. Its just a false statement. No matter how you go on to explain yourself later on in that same post. sorry bro truely no offence ment at all really :p

There are a lot of reasons one shouldnt make false statements like this.
The update just came out some noob might just skim by it and update, thinking its possible to play homebrew on there psps after the update.
Would you really want to be part of the reason somone could not play homebrew ?
Really bro im not throwing some sort of english lit lesson down on you about sentence structure here, there are valid reasons that peticular statement is dangerous.
Ps I make it a point to read the entire thread before I reply to any post bro to avoid confuseing people.

IndianCheese
July 29th, 2005, 03:21

I wasn't referring to the homebrew, retard. I was talking about a homebrew firmware, like the other guy was.

G-RaZoR
July 29th, 2005, 05:14
Hmm, what about finding a way to dump the firmware (to answer your question in the 3rd post, yes it is possible to dump firmware, so far no for the PSP though). Use the 1.50 firmware, and find a way to change it so it tricks the PSP into thinking it's an upgrade (IE change 1.5 to 2.1).

BlackxKnight
July 29th, 2005, 05:30
Im sure you guys are just like me educated enuf to understand the concept of what coders and hackers are up against but do any of us have expierence in even knowing where to start? I know I wouldnt....for all we know all the hackers that have looked at it are cracking their knuckles and saying its a piece of cake or theyre shaking there heads thinking its impossible.
I personally think that nothing is impossible when it come to virtual world (within reason although that has been broken from time to time) it just is somthing that will take time and like was said before its only been out for a day. I highly doubt that Sony has plugged every hole as they themselves have to find the hole in order to plug it and if we havnt found it yet maybe they havnt either. There are just as many people working around the block as there are working to keep it up. PSP obviously has a strong homebrew community as the PSP in general hasnt been out long and we already have many emulators working at full speed or near full speed, we got a lot of guys working for us put some faith in them.

shadowprophet
July 29th, 2005, 06:07
Im sure you guys are just like me educated enuf to understand the concept of what coders and hackers are up against but do any of us have expierence in even knowing where to start? I know I wouldnt....for all we know all the hackers that have looked at it are cracking their knuckles and saying its a piece of cake or theyre shaking there heads thinking its impossible.
I personally think that nothing is impossible when it come to virtual world (within reason although that has been broken from time to time) it just is somthing that will take time and like was said before its only been out for a day. I highly doubt that Sony has plugged every hole as they themselves have to find the hole in order to plug it and if we havnt found it yet maybe they havnt either. There are just as many people working around the block as there are working to keep it up. PSP obviously has a strong homebrew community as the PSP in general hasnt been out long and we already have many emulators working at full speed or near full speed, we got a lot of guys working for us put some faith in them.

I agree with you theres no way $ony could have pluged every hole. Theres no such thing as unbreachible security. Even tho it seems unlikely to me that anyone will crack the 2.0 any time soon. I have to agree with you on that much knight:cool:

Kaiser
July 30th, 2005, 03:34
Simply put asking such a question when 2.0 just came out is stupid. I'll also go with anything RedDragon said because clearly a lot of you have been arguing back and did not read his posts

Have a nice day

I agree with you theres no way $ony could have pluged every hole. Theres no such thing as unbreachible security. Even tho it seems unlikely to me that anyone will crack the 2.0 any time soon. I have to agree with you on that much knight

Yes agree to both. Sony is not $ony by the way don't be a fool and think that there the only ones in it for money. Nintendo is just as bad and have been since they released the NES.

Cap'n 1time
July 30th, 2005, 05:13
Yes agree to both. Sony is not $ony by the way don't be a fool and think that there the only ones in it for money. Nintendo is just as bad and have been since they released the NES.

yes.. but nintendo dosnt have an S in the name. So we cant use $'s :p

shadowprophet
July 30th, 2005, 05:15
Yeah bro but nintendo has one thing sony doesnt right now, that at least deserves a little respect. A quality product. I mean ive got my reasons for thinking of $ony like I do.

Cross
July 31st, 2005, 17:37
They have been playing with the Firmware swap, no luck yet. Lets chill here. Indain your going nuts you have a lot of idea's and ur posting often, good but lets not expect it over night.

Firmware 2.0 is new, how long did it tke 1.50 to be cracked ans the crack was found on accident. Give it a chance here. I am sure it will be cracked in time, but within the first few weeks I am doubting. And the site you posted about it seems that it just might not be real but we all hope its possible.

Just stay calim and stick with it, its going to come to pass just in due time.

Kaiser
August 3rd, 2005, 08:21
Yeah bro but nintendo has one thing sony doesnt right now, that at least deserves a little respect. A quality product.

The PSP may have its issues, but what deems it as a low-quality product?

I agree that the PS2 is and always was a piece of shit. It had many great games for it but it was still horribly designed. Over-priced and unstable they broke and slowed down over time. My PS2 must take twice the loading time it took 4 years ago on the same game. Its DVD player functionallity simply does not work anymore. The cleanist newest DVD movie skips and freezes on it. Hell my 15 year old Sega Genesis runs more efficiently then that PS2.

shadowprophet
August 3rd, 2005, 08:46
Design-wise what is wrong with the PSP?

I agree that the PS2 is and always was a piece of shit. It had many great games for it but it was still horribly designed. Over-priced and unstable they broke and slowed down over time. My PS2 must take twice the loading time it took 4 years ago on the same game. Its dvd (http://consumeralertsystem.com/cas/zx-hclick.php?hid=2) player functionallity simply does not work anymore. The cleanist newest dvd (http://consumeralertsystem.com/cas/zx-hclick.php?hid=2) movie skips and freezes on it. Hell my 15 year old Sega Genesis runs more efficiently then that PS2.

Well. I dont know if everyone has had this problem but ive heard of it before amungts us psp owners..
Design wise. Lets see first off I was speaking the quality issue.
Lets see nine out of every ten psps have dead or stuck pixels.
The thing is built flimsy. Try droping a gameboy color on a floor, I'll bet it would outlast the psp over and over again. I mean sure I love the psp. so do a lot of people. But its flimsy. I dont even feel safe just holding mine at times.
after the first 24 full hours are broke in on the psp, most of the buttons feel lose. and this is just after the first 24 hours. The things are designed to fall apart really. The reason sony doesnt care about quality is because they dont have too. I mean sure the psp is awsome , and thats why people will buy it. But if sony built them to last. They would sell a lot less of them ultimately.
So why not build somthing thats awsome yet designed to fall apart.
Yeah sony knows there craft bro, they rwally do..

Kaiser
August 3rd, 2005, 16:02
fair enough, I agree with you after those points.

quzar
August 3rd, 2005, 17:55
There are a few points to be made here. First, it IS possible to have un-crackable security for the PSP. All they would have to do is make it impossible to boot code from the memory stick or usb. THEN you'd have to do some crazy things like use some random game, but if they do it properly it would be possible to simply not allow it at all.

The second thing is that, yes homebrew firmware/bios IS possible, but would require horribly intimate knowledge of hardware and all it's functions. If someone hacked the firmware and modified it (which hasn't been happening) then that would simply be illegal. So far no firmware for the psp has been cracked or hacked, the only thing that has been done is workarounds made to work with the firmware as it already exists on the system (to my knowledge). The main obstacle is finding out how sony does the security on the updates, which would require something along the lines of monitoring data transfer during the update routine and analyzing it. The problem with this is that unlike most things, if data is corrupted or fails to be passed correctly here, it could result in a useless psp.

The best BEST way to do this would be to take the psp firmware, modify it, then pull the chip that holds the firmware inside the psp and replace it with a flash rom. When you have done that you upload your custom bios that has different debugging features and go to initiate an update and track how the update occurs. An alternative would be to try to use the firmware chip already inside the psp, because it would already have to be of the flash variety to be able to update, but there is a chance there is some sort of hardware protection on it against such a thing.

yea, that's it.

shadowprophet
August 3rd, 2005, 18:24
There are a few points to be made here. First, it IS possible to have un-crackable security for the PSP. All they would have to do is make it impossible to boot code from the memory stick or usb. THEN you'd have to do some crazy things like use some random game, but if they do it properly it would be possible to simply not allow it at all.

The second thing is that, yes homebrew firmware/bios IS possible, but would require horribly intimate knowledge of hardware and all it's functions. If someone hacked the firmware and modified it (which hasn't been happening) then that would simply be illegal. So far no firmware for the psp has been cracked or hacked, the only thing that has been done is workarounds made to work with the firmware as it already exists on the system (to my knowledge). The main obstacle is finding out how sony does the security on the updates, which would require something along the lines of monitoring data transfer during the update routine and analyzing it. The problem with this is that unlike most things, if data is corrupted or fails to be passed correctly here, it could result in a useless psp.

The best BEST way to do this would be to take the psp firmware, modify it, then pull the chip that holds the firmware inside the psp and replace it with a flash rom. When you have done that you upload your custom bios that has different debugging features and go to initiate an update and track how the update occurs. An alternative would be to try to use the firmware chip already inside the psp, because it would already have to be of the flash variety to be able to update, but there is a chance there is some sort of hardware protection on it against such a thing.

yea, that's it.

Snizzle this man knows his stuff :D

captainstingray
August 3rd, 2005, 18:56
PSP firmware version 2.0 has a web browser with JAVA from what I have read. I have also heard that you can use the web browser to read txt files and such off of the memory stick. Why doesn't someone just make a java program that you can put on the memory stick that you can access through the web browser that acts as a gui for the user. You could then just get into the java program through your web browser favorites and run whatever programs you like through the java gui.

IndianCheese
August 5th, 2005, 02:35
Does anyone know is dev teams have started working on the PSP 2.0 yet, or can I slump into a depression?

Cap'n 1time
August 5th, 2005, 02:40
it was being worked on since day one by lots of people. check out ps2dev.org for some more info on that subject.

IndianCheese
August 5th, 2005, 03:05
it was being worked on since day one by lots of people. check out ps2dev.org for some more info on that subject.

omfg i am bookmarking that site thankyouthankyouthankyou

shadow77
August 5th, 2005, 03:39
The only real reason to upgrade to 2.0 is to play future games, there's no reason at all to upgrade for the web browser, media features etc.. all that can be done through homebrew apps.

If you really want to run homebrew and play games the best advice is to just get a second PSP. A modchip for PSP seems like the solution but its not, even with a modchip you will have to upgrade the firmware to load the new functions for games, and when you are updating the firmware Sony could dectect your modchip thus not allowing you to upgrade.

I'm sure exploits will be found later on - maybe through a UMD game similar to how you could softmod the Xbox through the Splinter Cell exploit, but its not going to be like what we have in 1.0 and 1.5 which is basically drag and drop.

IndianCheese
August 5th, 2005, 03:41
I'm sure exploits will be found later on - maybe through a UMD game similar to how you could softmod the Xbox through the Splinter Cell exploit, but its not going to be like what we have in 1.0 and 1.5 which is basically drag and drop.

What splinter cell exploit???????? tell me!

shadow77
August 5th, 2005, 04:24
What splinter cell exploit???????? tell me!

Check out http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=215055

Look under "The Gamesave Exploits", three games can be used for the exploit - 007 AUF, Mech Assault, and Splinter Cell.

Personally I've never tried it, so be careful. It's much easier to do a hardware mod with the Xbox (imo) you could always contact a professional modder if you don't want to do it yourself. There are also many non-solder modchip options for the Xbox.