PDA

View Full Version : Mass Engadget posts.

bah
January 8th, 2008, 04:04
Are the insane number of posts by 'engadget' bothering anyone else?

It's like an RSS feed turned into a forum poster that just spams the living crap out of dcemu with every single bloody update to engadget.

If we want to read engadget, we'll go to engadget dammit.

I use the 'new posts' feature to keep check on new stuff and for the last cpl days 3/4 of the posts are bloody engadget ones, all with 0 replies because noone cares for non gaming related gadget RSS feed posts.

What does everyone else think?

EDIT: A quick google for 'engadget headlines vbulletin' turned up this: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1416127. Why Wraggster, wwwwhhhhyyyyyyy?????

EDIT2: Now there's a slashdot one also!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOD FREAKING DAMMIT. I have visited /. for years, but do we need to have the forums flooded with posts no one reads?

Pages and pages of nothing but spam with 0 comments, see attached image.

Shadowblind
January 8th, 2008, 04:07
It is getting very annoying, very fast. These RSS posters from not just engadget but these weird non-gaming related feeds like slashdot and pocketdot, and even the gamefanboys are getting ridiculously spammish.

Way too many "Nintendo tote bags" and "Turn Your WM6 Device into a Wi-Fi Router" threads that do nothing but get in the way.

JKKDARK
January 8th, 2008, 04:15
I was thinking about making a thread about this problem.

Also these RSS posters are NOT posting on the news forums. Their threads are on the non-news forums where people discuss about hardware/software issues, etc. It's really a problem because many people will not notice when someone has a problem and post in that section.

bah
January 8th, 2008, 04:24
If they could just be confined to a section that doesn't get included in the search for new posts, and wasn't also used by people for threads about gaming issues that get lost in the mess, then it would be no problems.

ExcruciationX
January 8th, 2008, 04:32
Yeah, it's really stupid. wraggster must have thought that his post count was high enough. :p

kcajblue
January 8th, 2008, 04:32
does this have to do with what you guys are talking about.
i noticed it earlier today.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=286

Shadowblind
January 8th, 2008, 04:38
...yes, that does seem to be a good example of the overly spamming nature of these RSS feeds. I dont know who the he**'s gonna care about what Cheapassgamer has to spam.

bah
January 8th, 2008, 04:40
kcajblue: Yep.

If they could all go in that section, and not be included in the 'new posts' search then it would be fine.

Use the new posts feature, browse through a couple of pages of results, some pages have perhaps 1 or 2 actual posts on them in amongst all the spam.

kcajblue
January 8th, 2008, 04:45
holy sweet jesus.
youre right.
i dont usually use the new posts thing.
but i checked it now and its full of engadget stuff.
A LOT of it too.

Shadowblind
January 8th, 2008, 04:47
holy sweet jesus.
youre right.
i dont usually use the new posts thing.
but i checked it now and its full of engadget stuff.
A LOT of it too.

heh, thats basically the ONLY thing i use. I don't usually searched DCEmu forum by forum. Just go to any thread that sparks my interest.

kcajblue
January 8th, 2008, 04:48
i usually search by what i have. and what i actually use.
so its not much. i check the ds stuff and sometimes the other nintendo stuff manually.

quzar
January 8th, 2008, 11:29
The reason the new linked forum exists was that I yelled for having OT spammed up. (well what really happened was I came in and deleted all of the posts by the register and gave him an infraction before I knew it was a newsposting bot)

The general idea was, I suppose, to lessen the workload by simply moving everything here. I suppose all of it should be put into seperate discussion forums anyways because the same reasons apply: user threads get pushed down and nobody cares about these.

Give it a week and it should be resolved one way or another (keep posting here though, don't take this to mean that a solution is being implemented).

Shrygue
January 8th, 2008, 14:01
Like I said in staff, this idea should be dropped. Having bots posting news in the discussions forums is not the way forward. No one will read them and gets shunned as spam as members find it annoying and I absolutely hate it all the same. It's better to obtain news the manual way instead of resorting to automation.

bah
January 8th, 2008, 15:13
Shrygue: Agreed 100%, quantity of posts certainly does not equal quality of posts.

When members post something interesting they find from one of these sites, it normally sparks some sort of dicussion and interests people.

Mass spamming of everything another site posts about is not only uninteresting to members, but devalues real posts and will lead to the site being ignored by people as just a mass spam of posts from other sites without any standalone value.

Kaiser
January 10th, 2008, 05:25
Like I said in staff, this idea should be dropped. Having bots posting news in the discussions forums is not the way forward. No one will read them and gets shunned as spam as members find it annoying and I absolutely hate it all the same. It's better to obtain news the manual way instead of resorting to automation.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2148000544&postcount=10

Shadowblind
January 12th, 2008, 01:19
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2148000544&postcount=10

Link is broken.

quzar
January 12th, 2008, 01:21
Link is broken.

No, it's not.

gdf
January 12th, 2008, 01:26
It's for the staff forums.

*Uses hax*

*Gains access*

[/Lies]

Shadowblind
January 12th, 2008, 01:29
No, it's not.

Thanks. I love long explanations, too.

bah
January 12th, 2008, 05:16
Nice that the people who actually have to put up with all the spam (the users, the people without which DCEmu wouldn't be a website, rather just some files on a server somewhere that no one accessed), are completely left out of the discussion.......

People are interested in what is being done to get rid of the mass spamming, preferably the bots altogether.
Changing the bot's names or making them posts under wraggster's nick isn't a solution either.

There shouldn't be more than 1 or 2 stories taken from each other site each day and those should be relevant. Hell, ATM, these forums seem to have more engadget news than the engadget front page does!

I hope Shrygue didn't get a 'talking too' in the staff forum for being brave enough to say what most/all are thinking.

pibs
January 12th, 2008, 05:34
It was getting way out of line, important threads from users were being ignored because of the massive spam threads

SB the thread is not broken, it is just only accessible to mods.

bah
January 15th, 2008, 07:20
Ok, it was the worst ive seen yesterday, and today is even worse.

This spamming is getting seriously out of control, when is it going to stop?

Posts from today are pushed back to page 3-4 or more, and are just smothered in crap.

As quzar said, we the dcemu public deserve an answer as to what is being done to put and end to these spam bots. Why the silence from those in charge? Is it you know that absolutely noone wants these things and that there is no point trying to justify them?

They are a positive for noone, why are they still here?
They serve no positive purpose and are disliked/hated by all, why is wraggster doing this to a once great site?

They MUST go.