PDA

View Full Version : Skype on PSP Video

wraggster
January 8th, 2008, 19:02
Check it out in full and shed a tear for all of us who dont own a PSP Slim

http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=29451

gamefreak199101
January 8th, 2008, 20:12
this is so cool which i had a slim to have this but i guess ill have to go out and get one

F9zDark
January 8th, 2008, 20:24
Damn, this really makes me want to go out and get a slim...

Added:

Better yet, I'll wait until I see this actually come out; heaven forbid Sony decides to throw a fast one and make not work in the US for some stupid reason...

Veskgar
January 8th, 2008, 20:34
I've never used Skype but this does look cool. In the video, the headset with long skinny mic looked pretty sweet. He said that was going to be on sale starting in February.

With all the hype, for a short while I kinda wanted an iPhone. But now I'd much rather use a Slim PSP as a portable communications and multimedia device.

Questions to those who have experience with Skype...

1.) Is it free? What hidden fees or obligations might come with this?
2.) Can it call regular land-line phones or cell phones or is it limited to other Skype users?
3.) Are there region or long-distance restrictions? Could I call other countries, etc.?

Those are probably some noob questions but for those like me who have yet to bother with Skype, the answers could be helpful.

F9zDark
January 8th, 2008, 20:50
I've never used Skype but this does look cool. In the video, the headset with long skinny mic looked pretty sweet. He said that was going to be on sale starting in February.

With all the hype, for a short while I kinda wanted an iPhone. But now I'd much rather use a Slim PSP as a portable communications and multimedia device.

Questions to those who have experience with Skype...

1.) Is it free? What hidden fees or obligations might come with this?
2.) Can it call regular land-line phones or cell phones or is it limited to other Skype users?
3.) Are there region or long-distance restrictions? Could I call other countries, etc.?

Those are probably some noob questions but for those like me who have yet to bother with Skype, the answers could be helpful.

As far as I know, Skype to Skype calls and communications are free. Calling a Landline or Cellphone will cost money (I think I saw that it was 2 cents a minute for calls within the US).

Skype Pro is 3 dollars a month and offers free calling to US and Canada ( I am assuming that means landline and cellphone).

Added:

Check www.skype.com for more information.

lampsta
January 8th, 2008, 20:51
Didint Fanjita make a app for psp phat and slim thats just like skype???? *Furikup* whats the differce??

F9zDark
January 8th, 2008, 20:54
Didint Fanjita make a app for psp phat and slim thats just like skype???? *Furikup* whats the differce??

Furikup is an SIP application, which makes calls via the SIP protocol. However, its in beta, whether or not it gets finished or to a state of near completion depends upon the developers and is a matter of time (Sony will have this functionality ready by the end of January)

Skype also has very affordable rates (at 3 dollars a month, if I use the feature even once for a 10 minute call, its worth it). I don't know what kind of costs would be incurred calling someone with the SIP protocol or how to sign up and use it.

pibs
January 8th, 2008, 21:06
Really cool, just hate the fact of subscription but I will get a slim now.

does slim have 1.5 kernal yet?

ab_geee_eee
January 8th, 2008, 21:33
Darn, I don't feel like buying a Slim... :(

gelon
January 8th, 2008, 22:28
I've 2 PSP (original of course) and i dont mind ...

... skype probably will be hacked :D, i think that there is no memory limitation, this was only a lie of Sony to promote Slim

And i dont mind too if there will be memory limitation, we will have Fanjita's one

i hate sony day by day :rolleyes:

Cloudhunter
January 8th, 2008, 23:14
I've 2 PSP (original of course) and i dont mind ...

... skype probably will be hacked :D, i think that there is no memory limitation, this was only a lie of Sony to promote Slim

And i dont mind too if there will be memory limitation, we will have Fanjita's one

Yeah, you hate Sony for making a device which without which you wouldn't have any features on the PSP? :rolleyes:

Cloudy

Veskgar
January 9th, 2008, 02:06
Skype Pro is 3 dollars a month and offers free calling to US and Canada ( I am assuming that means landline and cellphone).
Thanks for the info. If this works good I'll be saving tons by not having to get a cell phone. I'm almost always within a WiFi hotspot.

does slim have 1.5 kernal yet?
No, not yet with the latest 3.71 M33-4 CFW. However, Dark_AleX is working on 3.80 M33 which is said to probably have 1.5 homebrew support. 3.80 M33 could be released any day now. Dark_AleX and team have been pretty tight-lipped about it, but I think its for the better. Too much leaks and betrayal in the scene recently.

I thought we were beyond that. Now that I have a PS3, PSP Slim, and "classic" PSP, I can appreciate all that SONY is trying to do and has done. I don't agree with everything they do though. They are really late with some things and obviously copied some of the homebrew scenes innovations, but there is nothing wrong with them trying to squeeze more and more features out of the PSP Slim.

If Dark_AleX and team are still at work then we really get the best of both worlds. All of the cool features from SONY plus almost limitless homebrew possibilities.

I really appreciate SONY making these products and am so glad they are making a big impact in the video game industry.

bah
January 9th, 2008, 07:21
Segmenting an established console's user base by introducing a new model that is essentially the same but with a few benefits either pisses consumers off or leaves the new model without software that really uses the benefits.

Just ask Sega's hardware division.

Sony chose to make use of all the new ram despite the fact they could have made an implementation that ran fine on the fat if they so desired.
That's their choice, it assures that customers will get pissed off though.

The DS lite was an improvement, but what doesnt run on the fat? The web browser has a bigger slot 2 ram cart for fat users.
Nintendo understand the console market better than sony.

Cloudhunter
January 9th, 2008, 08:24
Segmenting an established console's user base by introducing a new model that is essentially the same but with a few benefits either pisses consumers off or leaves the new model without software that really uses the benefits.

Just ask Sega's hardware division.

Sony chose to make use of all the new ram despite the fact they could have made an implementation that ran fine on the fat if they so desired.
That's their choice, it assures that customers will get pissed off though.

The DS lite was an improvement, but what doesnt run on the fat? The web browser has a bigger slot 2 ram cart for fat users.
Nintendo understand the console market better than sony.

Well, they wouldn't have possibly been able to get Skype working in game on the fat - all the memory is taken up by games. And if I remember correctly, while in XMB the free memory is only in the region of about 4MB - which really isn't enough to run Skype.

Cloudy

Raziel-chan
January 9th, 2008, 11:11
Hmm... Previously, they announced that talkman-like mic that takes up the usb socket... And now they show this one.

As far as I know, there are no headsets currently available for the slim, as it has a different pin layout than the phat. So, what is that headset? 'Cause I hate that talkmanish mic, but I would give them any amount of money for that headset, or, even better, a short cable with mini-jack sockets to plug whatever headset you like :3

cya
Raziel-chan