PDA

View Full Version : CES2008: Expansion of the PS Network, Warner Paid?, Cell, Future of PS2

wraggster
January 8th, 2008, 19:46
--Sony has shored up the problems in its electronics, and will concentrate in 2008 on bringing more video content to its devices and improving its software, said CEO Sir Howard Stringer.
One of the first examples of this strategy will be an expansion of the PlayStation Network. The network now is mostly used by gamers. Sony wants to turn it into a platform to deliver video, too. Sony will hold a press conference in two months to discuss changes to the PlayStation 3.

--Stringer wouldn't directly comment on whether the Blu-ray consortium paid money to Warner to put its movies exclusively on Blu-ray. Stringer said Warner saw the value of the format but dodged discussing financial terms. "I think you are going to have to take that announcement at face value," he said.

--Sony is also looking at incorporating its Cell processor, which currently sits inside of the PlayStation3, in other products. Cell is particularly good at manipulating video streams. The company even held a contest among engineers to design new applications. However, Sony didn't put a firm date on when some of these devices might come out or what they might be.

--The PlayStation 2 will become the device that Sony will use to take on the Nintendo Wii. Titles like Guitar Hero have sold well with PlayStation 2 and consumers can expect to see more casual games and non-core gamer games coming out, said Kaz Hirai, chief executive of Sony Computer Entertainment, which oversees video consoles.

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9843429-7.html?tag=head

JKKDARK
January 8th, 2008, 19:56
yes PS2 wil ldo fine with all these games, but they will never get in the same level of success like the Wii.

F9zDark
January 8th, 2008, 20:06
yes PS2 wil ldo fine with all these games, but they will never get in the same level of success like the Wii.

What are you smoking? The PS2 has 170 million consoles out there. The PS2 is the reigning champion as the most successful console in the last decade. The Wii has nothing on it.

Napalm-Death
January 8th, 2008, 20:10
What are you smoking? The PS2 has 170 million consoles out there. The PS2 is the reigning champion as the most successful console in the last decade. The Wii has nothing on it.
Gotta expect a comment like that from JKK, anyway, isn't the PS2 also the most successful console in the history of consoles?

F9zDark
January 8th, 2008, 20:20
Gotta expect a comment like that from JKK, anyway, isn't the PS2 also the most successful console in the history of consoles?

Might be actually, but thats quite a "history" to go up against. When Nintendo knew how to make games and consoles (and not gimmicks) the NES and SNES were damn good, and are probably up there as the greater consoles in all history (which is the greatest, between PS2, NES and SNES, I have no idea).

JKKDARK
January 8th, 2008, 20:50

170? wow you really don't have idea about sales, it sold over 120 million units actually.

The PlayStation 2 was launched in 2000. Wait 7 years after the Wii is lauched and we will see which console sold more units.

F9zDark
January 8th, 2008, 20:58
170? wow you really don't have idea about sales, it sold over 120 million units actually.

The PlayStation 2 was launched in 2000. Wait 7 years after the Wii is lauched and we will see which console sold more units.

Considering the market the Wii is made for, the Wii will be down and out in the next 2 years, and thats being generous...

Balthasar00
January 8th, 2008, 21:07
I wanna see some frigging remakes! ho and more import! The GC was great for that.

JKKDARK
January 8th, 2008, 21:09
Considering the market the Wii is made for, the Wii will be down and out in the next 2 years, and thats being generous...

haha where do you get these dreams?

F9zDark
January 8th, 2008, 21:13
haha where do you get these dreams?

A game console marketed to casual gamers DOES NOT have staying power. Why do you think companies haven't marketed consoles to this demographic in the past?

JKKDARK
January 8th, 2008, 21:26
A game console marketed to casual gamers DOES NOT have staying power. Why do you think companies haven't marketed consoles to this demographic in the past?

Ask to the Gamecube owners and they will tell you most of them bought a Wii.

Did you know the Virtual Console is a big success? And you know perfectly these old games were not made for casual gamers..

Also do you think games like Resident Evil 4, Super Paper Mario, Super Mario Galaxy, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, etc, are for casual gamers? These games are actually 4 of the 12 best-selling games from Wii.

Napalm-Death
January 8th, 2008, 21:27
Might be actually, but thats quite a "history" to go up against. When Nintendo knew how to make games and consoles (and not gimmicks) the NES and SNES were damn good, and are probably up there as the greater consoles in all history (which is the greatest, between PS2, NES and SNES, I have no idea).

Hm, I thought it was stated somewhere that it was lol. Thanks for clarifying that for me... it makes me miss my SNES. Ha ha.

F9zDark
January 8th, 2008, 21:49

Did you know the Virtual Console is a big success? And you know perfectly these old games were not made for casual gamers..

Also do you think games like Resident Evil 4, Super Paper Mario, Super Mario Galaxy, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, etc, are for casual gamers? These games are actually 4 of the 12 best-selling games from Wii.

Well I find it funny that people, who owned a Gamecube, would buy Resident Evil 4, again... I guess Wii owners are stupid too.

The reason those games sold well? Because, there are some people who own Wiis who are hardcore gamers (both of my friends who own Wiis are extremely hardcore gamers; now one of them owns a PS3 with the Wii collecting dust).

Nintendo also has the benefit of having many younger players on the Wii, which makes these 20 year old franchises seem "new" to, which will also drive up sales of these tired franchises.

Point is, just because the sales are so great now, doesn't mean they'll stay that way. The gamecube was regarded as a failure. And nintendo is making the same mistakes with the Wii as they did on the gamecube.

One of the things that contributed to the Gamecube's being a failure was its "family friendly" market, its 1st party support dwarfing its 3rd party support. How many Wii owners are going to go out and buy a game by EA or Ubisoft, when Nintendo seems to keep hitting the nail on the head delivering A+ titles?

No one. And soon, those companies will see that making games for the Wii isn't profitable, as they did on the gamecube, and will slow or cease production.

The reason Nintendo developed a Gamecube 1.5 and called it the Wii? A DESPERATE attempt at reclaiming the market share they had from the SNES days, something that both their last consoles failed to achieve.

Accordion
January 8th, 2008, 21:57

all those games you mentioned are gamecube games. Galaxy is the only one which actually uses the hardware[not counting peripherals]

I actually think a redesign of the PS2 at a very cheap price would sell well. A slim, square shape for a smaller footprint with slot loading drive, and packaged with an eyetoy and wireless controllers would be great. There are already Wii like games and peripherals for the PS2.

either way, heres some real innovation: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/01/08/ces-day-2-the-playstation-presentation/

JKKDARK
January 8th, 2008, 21:59
Nintendo didn't make any mistake because this time is winning the seventh generation.

"Family firendly" has nothing to do with the success or the failure, Nintendo always was "family friendly" and their consoles won (NES, SNES) and lost (N64, GC) their generations.

You are just talking about your own speculations.

JKKDARK
January 8th, 2008, 22:04
all those games you mentioned are gamecube games. Galaxy is the only one which actually uses the hardware[not counting peripherals]

Did you drink alcohol in excess?

I'm only talking about Wii games. Super Paper Mario never had a Gamecube release. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Resident Evil 4 Wii edition , which had ports on Gamecube, are not counting on the Wii versions sales.

Accordion
January 8th, 2008, 22:04
JKK is single handedly turning this forum into gamefaqs forums… hurrah!

real gamers dont care about market shares, they care about software.

buy the system that has the games you like, post in threads about systems you have interest in. EAt baked beans in chocolate sauce.

F9zDark
January 8th, 2008, 23:42
Nintendo didn't make any mistake because this time is winning the seventh generation.

"Family firendly" has nothing to do with the success or the failure, Nintendo always was "family friendly" and their consoles won (NES, SNES) and lost (N64, GC) their generations.

Actually, "Family Friendly" is the term used by the market analysts who slated the Gamecube and N64 as failures compared to NES, and SNES.

And do younger gamers have the money to go out and buy games? No they don't, thus they are a bad market to make games for.

NES and SNES weren't really "family oriented" like the N64 and Gamecube were. Many games on both consoles were of varied subject matter, unlike the N64 which was what, maybe 1 out of 10 games were for mature players?

JKKDARK
January 8th, 2008, 23:53
NES and SNES weren't really "family oriented" like the N64 and Gamecube were. Many games on both consoles were of varied subject matter, unlike the N64 which was what, maybe 1 out of 10 games were for mature players?
The only difference between the NES/SNES and the N64/GC was the RPG games. PRG games weren't mature, so I don't know what are you saying with "varied games".
Also there was a Mortal Kombat game on SNES which was edited because Nintendo considered it too violent.

DPyro
January 8th, 2008, 23:58
Ya, and I believe Sony came out with another Mortal Kombat with blood :p

Gizmo356
January 9th, 2008, 00:23

Did you drink alcohol in excess?

I'm only talking about Wii games. Super Paper Mario never had a Gamecube release. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Resident Evil 4 Wii edition , which had ports on Gamecube, are not counting on the Wii versions sales.

Don't double post its against the rules you should know that. ( presses report button )
Anyway I cant wait for the ps network to be upgraded :D

Eviltaco64
January 9th, 2008, 03:03
The thing about Wii is that...anything that's out on Wii right now could've been done on Gamecube. And people see Wii as WAY BETTER when technically Xbox 1 is just as powerful but lacking about 24 MB ram (But Wait!! You can add another 64MB ram to the Xbox's Motherboard! And overclock it to 1.5 GHz!!!) There's also tilt controller mods for Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, and generations from before that as well (Sega Genesis maybe!) Mod a Gamecube, mod a wavebird, and play zelda without that stupid control scheme (I say that because I'm left handed :P)