PDA

View Full Version : What with the psp phat?

Thomly
January 8th, 2008, 19:53
Hi all,

I'm on this site for quite a while now, and now it's time for me to spit something out.

Am I the onlyone who sees that the psp phat is becoming useless? (except for homebrew offcourse :p)

Al the latest things from $ony, like Skype and all that, is coming only for the psp slim. All new things are psp slim only. Why do they abbandon the psp phat? It are those users who have one who maked the psp scene big. And now they just let them be and work only with the slim. I just don't like that.

What are the oppinions of y'all?
Am I the onlyone who sees that the psp phat is becoming useless? (except for homebrew offcourse)

P.S. there might be some grammar and vocabular errors in my text, but that's because i'm from Belgium ;)

JKKDARK
January 8th, 2008, 20:00
It's their latest model, and they have to support it. It also happened with all the GBA and DS versions

jxx2005
January 8th, 2008, 20:44
on this subject
i'm getting a new PSP soon
should i bother looking for a phat?
or just get a slim?
and if i do get a slim, how easy is it to get CFW on it?
and can i use the extra batteries i have from my phat with a slim?

mike_jmg
January 10th, 2008, 06:41
yep, psp phat is being left out

But is true, it happened with the nintendo handhelds before, too bad the fatty psp era is coming to an end

I might get a slim tomorrow, but is not very likely, since it came from my friend that is always telling lies about everything (It's kind of good knowing he's a liar, cause I don't expect anything from him)

bah
January 10th, 2008, 07:38
I would guess that they are making extra non-gaming things like this slim-only mostly to sell more of the new model.

Skype could easily work on the fat, the only reasonable argument I've heard is that its going to allow voice chat on all games, meaning current/future games that use the whole of the fat's 32MB will use some of the extra ram to support chat on top of the game.
That's no excuse for excluding all the non in-game functionality (skype), which is really more exciting to many ppl than in-game chat.

Also they cannot (without a serious shit-storm) make games that really make use of the extra ram in the slim as they wouldn't run on the fat, or would have to have a 'fat' mode that looked/ran worse. Making peripherals like this slim-only probably make sony feel like they didn't completely **** up when they only gave the fat 32MB RAM and not much internal flash then segmented the market with an updated replacement that's benefits cannot properly be utilised in games.

I don't understand the Nintendo argument at all, what official game/app runs on the slim but not the fat?
Adding TV out and making the thing slimmer is fine, updating the hardware specs whilst having to maintain game compatibility with the old model is stupid. Nintendo seems to understand this better than sony.

Cloudhunter
January 10th, 2008, 15:00
If they made it a VSH app, they'd only have 4MB of ram to play with, maybe not even that. So it's not so unreasonable that it wouldn't work on the fat.

Cloudy

buypspgames
January 10th, 2008, 16:22
Thats what they call marketing. The Market is already loaded with PSP Phat. People looking for PSP will definitely buy the Slim. On the other hand, in order to entice PSP Phat owners to buy a new PSP. They drop all their support on the PSP Phat and put it all on the slim.

Thomly
January 11th, 2008, 16:12
I just think it's a real shame...

BTW, if the RAM is a problem, couldn't Sony just do something with the sound quality or so, so Skype wouldn't need to use the whole 64mb. That way psp phat owners can use it too, only with the cost of a little quality.

bah
January 11th, 2008, 17:10
The DS has 4mb total and it has a voip client, Fanjitas client runs on the fat as a separate app. There is no question as to whether it is possible, it may not look exactly the same but all the main functionality could clearly run on the fat if sony wished it to.

The XMB using 28/32MB ram just sitting in a menu sounds rather high (I know there's no MMU but surely sony could free some of that up to boot into the skype section), I have no figures to argue the point though.

If reasonably high res MP4 video can be played, a (shitty) web browser can run etc then VOIP is certainly possible.