PDA

View Full Version : PSP will launch in Europe with version 2.0 firmware

wraggster
July 28th, 2005, 23:02
The new v2.00 firmware for the PlayStation Portable will be shipped as standard on European PSP consoles when they arrive on September 1st, a Sony Computer Entertainment representative has confirmed.

The new software adds web browsing, wireless photo sharing and a host of updated features to the console, as well as patching the security hole that allowed homebrew and pirate software to be used on the system.

At present, sample European PSPs are being shipped to reviewers and testers using the 1.52 revision firmware - which patches the security holes, albeit not as thoroughly as the new revision does, but doesn't add any new functionality.

Owners of existing Japanese and US models can update to the new version by downloading a file to their PSP, but European owners won't have to do this, Sony has confirmed; the device will support all of the new functionality straight out of the box.

The PSP is set to launch across Europe on September 1st. Sony has yet to announce what volume of devices it plans to ship to retail for the long-delayed launch.

Source- GiBiz (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=10416)

Zephyroth_drgs
July 28th, 2005, 23:32
too bad... no homebrew 4 newest european psp :(

RedKing14CA
July 29th, 2005, 07:59
"homebrew and pirate software to be used on the system."

WAR! *screw* THE SYSTEM!!!

but they have an mp3 player, adn theyre just trying to protect us from the scurvy infected pirate people who play nintendo games THEY OWN on their psp's...

and they try and make us look bad and say things like "unauthorized code" i mean wtf, isnt that like slander or something!?!!??

adoken
July 29th, 2005, 11:43
i am not an expert or anything, but isnt the possibility of the psp user to download and install the new firmwares an open window? i mean, cant the firmware be slightly changed before install so homebrews can be run? and the code will be broken... its just a matter of time, no code is perfect...

AKB
July 29th, 2005, 23:05
sony needs to get smarter making psp better, its like they using there lowest clase workers to do everything

jiggerstick
July 30th, 2005, 00:57
i hope theres away to work around the patch soon, - -; i updated and cant play any emulators or homebrew games now

adoken
July 30th, 2005, 09:26
isnt it possible to do what i mentioned? for what i read the update is downloaded from the net and qe place it in a specific dir in the memstick, and then it is instaled as if we are starting a game, cant this firmware be slightly changed before install so it is an altered FW to run homebrews? or since it does read the FW file, cant that be used to work around to load homebrews? just a thought.... im not even close an expert:P

AKB
July 30th, 2005, 09:28
i wonder if there is a coder/hacker out there fidiling inside of a psp? you know heh?

lfcwhitey
July 30th, 2005, 11:52
Noooooooooooo! I preordered my European PSP, looks like no homebrew for me :(. Yet. Because Sony must know that they have already lost the battle, and cannot win. Whatever firmware they release, it will eventually be cracked. They should stop wasting their time and just admit defeat really. Still a great system though, can't wait for Sept 1st!

WSOUNitePirate895
August 1st, 2005, 06:47
This sucks, I think the PSP is another Dreamcast, remeber the "unreadable" GD-roms and how Sega Boasted "No hacker will ever get us" look at them... Sony is getting what they deserve the minute we hack 2.0 and everything before and after it.
HAHA I Like the launcher programs that ppl have manage to make( I personaly dont use it and buy the actual games), but already this shows we are one step closer to showing sony they will not win. GIVE US our HOMEBREW RIGHTS, Cant belive they made Europe wait...

tentonipete
August 1st, 2005, 13:10
can you still get the firmware upgrade from 1 to 1.5?

to be honest though i can't see what great stuff the firmware upgrades do at the moment. now when they bring out email and all that stuff then i'll be interested.

*o*
August 1st, 2005, 13:18
im ordering mine off lik sang!!! version 1.0 or 1.50!! yay homebrew!

shirtsforpants
August 2nd, 2005, 20:05
isnt it possible to do what i mentioned? for what i read the update is downloaded from the net and qe place it in a specific dir in the memstick, and then it is instaled as if we are starting a game, cant this firmware be slightly changed before install so it is an altered FW to run homebrews? or since it does read the FW file, cant that be used to work around to load homebrews? just a thought.... im not even close an expert:P

i had a similar thought. this would seem to make much more sense than attacking a PSP that already has 2.0 on it with all the intense security encryption. it seems like making an alternate firmware update that would fool 2.0-requiered games would be the much easier route to take.

Fly On
August 2nd, 2005, 22:10
Omigosh, I feel like I stepped into a time warp and traveled 2 months back in time.
Since this is an open discussion, I will only say that your ideas have already been tried. Since this idea obvviously did not work for downgrading or doing anything with 1.5 PSPs, it probably will not work for 2.0 PSPs. Of course, I'm not saying that there never will be an exploit or patch or anything :D