PDA

View Full Version : New Line, HBO add to HD DVD misery

Shrygue
January 10th, 2008, 17:39
via Games Industry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=32000)

New Line Home Entertainment has confirmed that it plans to drop support for Toshiba's HD DVD format in favour of Sony's Blu-ray platform, according to an article in the Hollywood Reporter.

The news comes after last week's announcement by Warner Bros that it would be following a Blu-ray-exclusive path from now on, a move which led to the cancellation of the HD DVD press conference at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

US TV giant HBO will also follow suit, meaning that in future some of the most popular TV series' such as The Sopranos, will not be released on the HD DVD format at all.

Recently Microsoft, which had been seen to favour the HD DVD format with the release of its Xbox 360 player attachment, stated that it had no preference on format, and that if necessary it could release a Blu-ray attachment as appropriate.

F9zDark
January 10th, 2008, 17:47
Haha not even Microsoft cares for HD-DVD anymore. Imagine the few pissed off 360 owners that bought the HD-DVD (since it was what, like 3% of console owners?)

Napalm-Death
January 10th, 2008, 21:48
I feel a bit sorry for the HD-DVD owners. lol

DPyro
January 10th, 2008, 23:27
Microsoft never cared about HD-DVD. They just wanted to lengthen the HD wars so they could build on their digital download service.

F9zDark
January 10th, 2008, 23:31
My brother just got the HD-DVD addon for christmas, and I feel sorry for him if Microshit didn't truly care. With the money spent on that he could have gotten something better or something that will actually matter in the next 6 months.

Sadly, information around the net is really biased, even at Blu-Ray's peak of sales to HD-DVD sales my dad and him both said HD-DVD was winning, to which I told them "No Blu-Ray is outselling HD-DVD 9 to 1" (which it was, last February I believe). If only he did some research he would might have thought about waiting.

Then again, Microshit didn't say this until AFTER christmas...

Napalm-Death
January 11th, 2008, 01:11
I think Micro$hit suits them better. :P

Despite a good portion of HD-DVD/360 fanboys bitching and crying about the PS3 and Bluray, I find it hard not to feel sorry for them. I mean, here they are being duped by M$, and purchasing an addon that M$ themself doesn't even care about. The thing about this though, is that if you tell one of those owners this, they still won't believe it...

JKKDARK
January 11th, 2008, 01:21
Don't be negative, Microsoft have a secret plan. All the companies will support HD-DVD in some months thanks to a new idea by Microsoft.

Expect HD-DVD as the winner.

Accordion
January 11th, 2008, 01:27
Don't be negative, Microsoft have a secret plan. All the companies will support HD-DVD in some months thanks to a new idea by Microsoft.

unless it is brain washing consumers to pay triple value and actually want a lesser format then it wont work.

Napalm-Death
January 11th, 2008, 01:31
JKK, when even M$ says that they would release a bluray addon for their console, how could I expect HD-DVD to be the winner?

Gizmo356
January 11th, 2008, 01:36

LOL did you have too much to drink today?

Blu-Ray will win end of story.

JKKDARK
January 11th, 2008, 01:43
I heard this new plan by Microsoft will put the Blu-Ray in the cementery.

Napalm-Death
January 11th, 2008, 01:47
I heard JKK's been drinking too much ever since HD-DVD's supporters started switching to BluRay. :P

DPyro
January 11th, 2008, 01:54
JKKDARK is in the first stage of the Kübler-Ross model (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model)

Ultima Chocochu
January 11th, 2008, 02:12
Microsoft never cared about HD-DVD. They just wanted to lengthen the HD wars so they could build on their digital download service.

Yes but, I heard the service sucked and no one wanted to use it...Course I don't follow 360.
I do feel sorry for HD-DVD owners, but it's nice to know more things are going Blu-Ray.

Shrygue
January 11th, 2008, 18:08
The Blu-Ray disk format will win high time. It would be a real shame for those who have an Xbox 360 and wasted some £115 for the rather obsolete HD-DVD add on though.