PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft: Xbox 360 back compat 'winding down'

wraggster
January 10th, 2008, 21:06
Albert Penello, group marketing manager for the Xbox 360, hinted to Kotaku this week that the hefty backwards compatibility update the system received in November could be its last. "I don't know if we have plans to do any more releases," he told the site. "It feels like we kind of hit the point of diminishing returns there."

Now, if you were the sort to assume the worst about giant corporations you could theorize that Microsoft realizes that every new back compat game lowers the chance of you buying the Xbox Originals version, which makes new additions less attractive. For our part, we're just depressed that Everything or Nothing still isn't BC. Anything you're still carrying the torch for?

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/01/10/microsoft-xbox-360-back-compat-adds-winding-down/

Shadowblind
January 11th, 2008, 00:17
Dumb. I still have an unplayable mechassault on my shelves.

Eviltaco64
January 11th, 2008, 02:49
That's why emulating a console for backwards compatibility is stupid, you're never going to get maximum results (Emulating a few games is one thing, but an entire console library?). And Microsoft isnt exactly one to make a product that ranks 100% *cough, *cough, Windows Vista...

cloud_952
January 11th, 2008, 03:29
^_- Yeah, but MS sure is a great company if all you're hoping for is a hardy 75% (re: Vista).

=D At least it looks good. Yaaay!

Honestly.. yeah, it's inconvenient, but back in MY day, when you bought a new console you, gee, PLAYED NEW GAMES. Keep the old console or buy the old one if you want to play older games. No one ever complained because the 64 couldn't play NES games. It was just expected.

Shadowblind
January 11th, 2008, 04:58
^_- Yeah, but MS sure is a great company if all you're hoping for is a hardy 75% (re: Vista).

=D At least it looks good. Yaaay!

Honestly.. yeah, it's inconvenient, but back in MY day, when you bought a new console you, gee, PLAYED NEW GAMES. Keep the old console or buy the old one if you want to play older games. No one ever complained because the 64 couldn't play NES games. It was just expected.

Trust me, 1 game out of my 9 Original Xbox games doesn't work, MS still got the best out :) Its just annoying that they didn't put mechassault out. Its one of the Best of Platinum Hits.

Baboon
January 11th, 2008, 08:15
Ahh that sucks.

Marvel Vs Capcom works but has got loadsa graphical issues witht he character sprites.

I was hoping the next update would at least address this top game? :(

beetroot bertie
January 11th, 2008, 10:02
I was patiently hoping for Time Splitters: Future Perfect to work too.