PDA

View Full Version : Sony Pictures Television to Offer DivX Movie Downloads

Shrygue
January 11th, 2008, 18:12
via Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/343848/sony-pictures-television-to-offer-divx-movie-downloads)

Adding more gasoline to the whole format war bonfire, Sony Pictures Television has announced that they will start distributing movies online using the DivX format. The files wil play in DivX Certified devices, including the recently updated PlayStation 3 as well as the updated Xbox 360. This, and not Blu-ray vs HD DVD, is the true battle for the future of movie distribution. Discs are so le tired.

F9zDark
January 16th, 2008, 18:46
The problem I see with digital distribution as becoming a viable movie format is that movies are far too big to be downloaded efficiently on the US internet "infrastructure" where as too many companies care more about making money on a low cost - high profit internet service rather than giving us the "best of the best".

Fios, for example offers 30mbps down and 5 (10?) mbps up for a hefty price tag; and they will probably keep that service around for the next 10 years at that price tag, because in the next 5 years it may cost them a quarter what it does now to maintain it. So why give us something like 50mbps or 100mbps 5 years later when they will have deal with another high cost - low profit situation?

In the next 10 years, maybe, digital distribution for movies will work. But it will be in its infant stages for a very long time.

DPyro
January 16th, 2008, 18:57
I agree...theres just too many people still stuck on dial-up and the people who have high-speed are stuck with whatever the ISP is offering. Until the infrastructure for internet lines improves to the point where you can get 100mbps down like in Japan, downloadable content like movies will be a niche market.

F9zDark
January 16th, 2008, 19:20
Quite a few European nations have 100mbps down as well, and some others even have free wi-fi internet access nation wide. (so people have at least some form of internet, without having to subscribe to it). Even Wi-fi is better than dial-up lol.

nomi
January 17th, 2008, 15:38
wow! here... i have around a 256 kb/s internet connection and that comes for around 25 dollars a month!

A 1 mb connection would cost 100 dollars at the least!
Be thankful US OF A!
lol
hehe

F9zDark
January 17th, 2008, 16:35
wow! here... i have around a 256 kb/s internet connection and that comes for around 25 dollars a month!

A 1 mb connection would cost 100 dollars at the least!
Be thankful US OF A!
lol
hehe

Where do you live?