PDA

View Full Version : DivX coming to PSP in Firmware 4.0

wraggster
January 12th, 2008, 14:04
Well CES was fun and I look forward to being there again next year.

Not much divulged other than the two posts I've made so far but I did hear an interesting 'bon mot' from a friend that works at SONY.

Seems our little friend the PSP will soon be getting DivX Certification to allow for the downloading of movies and TV shows through the PC store, transferred from PS3 and from selected third party online retailers (psst...starts with G and ends with le).

DivX for PSP should be released within two months and be included with the 4.0 firmware update.

http://gamergalinsider.blogspot.com/2008/01/divx-coming-to-psp-in-firware-40.html

PSP-1412
January 12th, 2008, 14:50
G and end with le umm........uh gametrailers.......no uhhh.......

tisti
January 12th, 2008, 14:54
Now ain't that mighty nice of them :)

one winged angel
January 12th, 2008, 15:09
divx in what kind of container avi or mp4?

pkmaximum
January 12th, 2008, 15:32
I'm hoping AVI and are there going to be resolution limits, I know nobody can probably answer these questions right now, I just can't help but wonder.

PSPdemon
January 12th, 2008, 15:36
I remember this being mentioned in a prediction....

now that its been confirmed..... i only await for widget support to be confirmed.

divx in what kind of container avi or mp4?

avi i believe.

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

PsychoSync
January 12th, 2008, 15:53
It about time they include DivX support, they should have a long time ago!!!

Buddy4point0
January 12th, 2008, 16:15
awsome!
seriously, the psp has been getting some great features recently.
sony is finally thinking again =]

John Vattic
January 12th, 2008, 16:25
awsome!
seriously, the psp has been getting some great features recently.
sony is finally thinking again =]

Yeah thinking about $$, about like a prostitute or a corrupt government. Give them an inch and they expect a yard in return.

not to mention it won't play any video with any amount of compression. so all divx that it plays will require a cert or license to authorize the decode.

If I were you folks I wouldn't get too excited because you won't be able to play your avi's.

yoshinatsu
January 12th, 2008, 16:52
Heh, whatever they do DAX will take it to the next level, so don't you worry guys :p
Have faith

DPyro
January 12th, 2008, 16:56

Google ;)

mavsman4457
January 12th, 2008, 17:18
This sounds good but if it can't play all the same AVI's that my PS3 can play then it's going to be a disappointment. My PS3 plays almost all of the AVI's I have besides a few Fresh Prince episodes.

Panda Bear K
January 12th, 2008, 17:20
I expected this, since Sony just licensed Divx on PS3 not too long ago, it wouldn't make sense for just PS3 to get Divx support. Hopefully after it comes, PSPtube can finally run Stage6 properly!
Yeah thinking about $$, about like a prostitute or a corrupt government. Give them an inch and they expect a yard in return.

not to mention it won't play any video with any amount of compression. so all divx that it plays will require a cert or license to authorize the decode.

If I were you folks I wouldn't get too excited because you won't be able to play your avi's.I must be one of the lucky ones then, because my PS3 has been playing my AVI movies like a dream since it got updated a couple of weeks ago.

Some people need to cut Sony some slack, in terms of support and improving a console they've already put out, no one beats them. Go buy a Nintendo DS and ask them for Divx support.

gamefreak199101
January 12th, 2008, 17:23
This sounds good but if it can't play all the same AVI's that my PS3 can play then it's going to be a disappointment. My PS3 plays almost all of the AVI's I have besides a few Fresh Prince episodes.

how do u get ur ps3 to play avi's i have a 40gb one and i dont know how to, i always use mp4 format but i want avi's cuz of the quality

Qmark
January 12th, 2008, 17:27
Of course, it will likely only work on PSP2000

Veskgar
January 12th, 2008, 18:11
Yeah, my PS3 (80GB) with the latest firmware update seems to play DivX/XviD .avi just fine. I usually load the videos on an SD Card and then the PS3 can copy the video from the SD to the PS3's HDD.

I'm hoping it will be the same with the PSP. If not, this has some of the ingredients that could be "opened up" perhaps in a future custom firmware.

Its really great to see a slew of new features hitting the PSP and the expanded interaction and sharing of files between PS3/PSP.

Eviltaco64
January 12th, 2008, 18:39
PSP needed to be more file extensions for video playback anyway, so I say, go sony!

blackrave
January 12th, 2008, 20:41
Since this is more of a rumour, I wouldn't hold my breath for it, even though it seems logical. It could be good.

Axelius
January 12th, 2008, 21:40
Yeah, at least! No more converting that takes hours, but just drag and drop some of my DivXs onto my PSP! (In fact almost all of my movies that I have on my PC are in DivX or XviD [I hope XviD will be supported as well])

Wickaramnalka
January 13th, 2008, 11:06

:thumbup:

Wickaramnalka
January 13th, 2008, 11:09
starts with G and ends wit le = GoogLE............
am i rite?

carlitx
January 14th, 2008, 15:40
google!!!!111!!! lol

KING RICH
March 24th, 2008, 19:37
people have also been saying that flash player 9 will be added so we will be able to watch online videos but others are saying it's just a rumur!!!and i can't see the big deal of DIVx i don't even no what it is!!!:confused::eek:

acidspunk
March 25th, 2008, 03:05
^It's the format in which almost all of the movies in the internet are encoded. It's a great feature, even if it is a bit redundant. We already have the ability to convert our movies to mp4 and play them flawlessly on the psp.

Even so, sony is finally getting some great new features into the firmware updates. Go sony!

xSaVanTx
April 23rd, 2008, 06:16

If I were you folks I wouldn't get too excited because you won't be able to play your avi's.
Hey Vattic: I have sony official firmware version 3.80 and no homebrew anything and all I do is convert the .avi files on my pc (there are MANY programs that do this) to be PSP compatible. I can watch whatever now.

.....and I'm a chick ;)