PDA

View Full Version : Would it matter to Xbox 360 gamers if HD DVD died?

wraggster
January 12th, 2008, 16:28
Personally though, I don't seem to bring myself to care. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but the idea of turning my games console into a jack of all trades multimedia monster never really appealed to me. I accept that having extra features available are welcome as a convenience, but to be honest, I don't think it would make any difference to whether I'd want to buy the console or not. I'd want to buy it on the strength of its games library, rather than its ability to browse the web or download TV shows.

As far as the gaming capabilities of Blu-ray go, while it does give the PS3 hardware a boost, power of hardware doesn't correlate with quality of games. The PS2 was the best console of the last generation because of its fantastic games library, despite the original Xbox being a more powerful machine and packing in a hard drive. The victory of Blu-ray would be by no means a good thing for the Xbox 360, but in the long run, the console battle will be fought with games, not hardware.

http://xboxer.tv/2008/01/would_it_matter_to_xboxers_if.html

Eviltaco64
January 12th, 2008, 19:05
Blu-ray seems to be getting more support, though. But then again, Blu-ray could become the next Beta Max

Gizmo356
January 12th, 2008, 19:10
Blu-ray seems to be getting more support, though. But then again, Blu-ray could become the next Beta Max

It wont become that ever IMO you'd have to be delusional to think that :S

Eviltaco64
January 12th, 2008, 19:40
It wont become that ever IMO you'd have to be delusional to think that :S

That's why I said, "but then again", and that blu-ray is getting more support. You never know.

pibs
January 12th, 2008, 20:25
Wouldn't affect me, my sat providers allow me to view the upcoming movies and old movies in hd for a small fee. Im not buying into any of the formats because I would rather have some streaming media rather than having a bunch of HDremakes in my collection. I know its not an option for everyone since some people really love the extra features on movies.

All i want is better streaming support on the 360 for higher quality video and HD if possible.

beetroot bertie
January 12th, 2008, 21:08
I'm not fussed either, as long as the games are good.

I'm currently not bothered about High Def movies either as I don't sit close enough to the TV to tell anyway. They are impressive, but I'm happy with DVDs and I don't feel the HD stuff is worth the extra cost involved in purchasing it.

I don't watch much video on the 360 anyway as I find the fan/drive noise off-putting unless the the volume is up. My standard DVD player is much quieter but I do appreciate the upscaling that the VGA cable allows. Again though, I only notice this stuff when I'm close to the TV which I'm not when watching movies etc. so yeah, not too fussed.

I guess I'd consider a hybrid player if they were affordable but the cost of the discs would have to come down too.

BrooksyX
January 12th, 2008, 22:48
I really could care less about HD-DVD or even Blu-Ray. Either format won't last very long. Everything is going digital, making physical media pointless and obsolete.

JKKDARK
January 12th, 2008, 23:06
First of all, why would it die? Speculations are not useful.

Gizmo356
January 13th, 2008, 05:30
I really could care less about HD-DVD or even Blu-Ray. Either format won't last very long. Everything is going digital, making physical media pointless and obsolete.

I don't think digital media is going to get popular anytime soon because of internet speeds and hard disk space ;s

Baboon
January 13th, 2008, 12:21
I don't think digital media is going to get popular anytime soon because of internet speeds and hard disk space ;s

I disagree.

I don't think bluray/hd dvd will get popular anytime soon due to people either not bothered about upgrading from their dvd to newer formats (I've got a huge DVD collection and they all already do a perfectly good job) plus people will just wait until the new format player(s) become a more reasonable price.

Also digital media already serves me well via my pc (and also original modded xbox1) anyway. I haven't bothered wasting my time or hd space via the new 360 movie download service though.

Back on topic though I couldn't care less at the mo what new format wins the war... it in no way affects my 360 gaming.

cal360
January 13th, 2008, 12:44
It wouldn't effect me whatsoever. I don't even have a HD DVD drive for my Xbox 360 so unless it effected the games I wouldn't worry at all.

Harshboy
January 13th, 2008, 23:30
I really don't care at all really, 360 is for Games, not Movies.

If Sony has to advertise their PS3 as a Blu-ray Player to sell it, so be it, but I find that sad.

However, if I really cared and had to make a choice, I would support HD-DVD, it seems to be the underdog.

shadowprophet
January 14th, 2008, 02:52
Short answer , no, Hd dvd could die and it wouldnt phase us. :cool: