PDA

View Full Version : The DCEmu Interview - Question 8 - Whos the Greatest Homebrew Hacker/Coder and Why ?

wraggster
January 12th, 2008, 20:54
http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/dcemu2008.gif

A feature i did a few years ago and one im going to repeat now is the DCEmu Interview, a unique idea in which questions are asked by me to the Whole DCEmu Community its a way to learn more about each others and find out what our interests are and much more

Todays Question is Whos the Greatest Homebrew Hacker/Coder and Why ?

Please explain why you think the Coder/Hacker deserves to be the greatest

Digg This (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Whos_the_Greatest_Homebrew_Hacker_Coder)

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Whos_the_Greatest_Homebrew_Hacker_Coder

Give your Answer via Comments.

Remember to check out our DCEmu Interview Site (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/) to catch up on previous DCEmu Interview Questions

The DCEmu Interview - Question 1 - What Consoles Do You Own ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-1-what-consoles-do-you-own--82867.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 2 - Whats Your Favourite Console Of All Time (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-2-whats-your-favourite-console-of-all-time-83029.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 3 - Whats Your New Years Resolution ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-3-whats-your-new-years-resolution--83130.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 4 - What Got you Interested in Homebrew/Emulation ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-4-what-got-you-interested-in-homebrew-emulation--83212.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 5 - Whats the greatest Game Ever ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-5-whats-the-greatest-game-ever--83477.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 6 - Whats the Greatest Homebrew Console? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-6-whats-the-greatest-homebrew-console--83559.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 7 - Whats the Greatest Homebrew Handheld? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-7-whats-the-greatest-homebrew-handheld--83580.html)

steve520
January 12th, 2008, 21:12
Der Dark_Alex definantly greatest hacker.

JKKDARK
January 12th, 2008, 21:33
Dark Alex

Gizmo356
January 12th, 2008, 21:35
I don't agree with this thread at all since alot of this wouldn't be possible with the combined effort of all the hackers.

mike_jmg
January 12th, 2008, 21:36
Dark Alex, because he created custom firmware

cdc1991
January 12th, 2008, 21:48
It has to be Fanjita...
He created some pretty amazing stuff before team c+d, then they blew homebrew wide open with the Pandora battery!
And remember: No pandora - No CFW on slims. ;)

Jayenkai
January 12th, 2008, 21:54
Chishm, for making DS FAT-Based Homebrew a WHOLE lot less of a hassle!
Without him, my poor little Games'n'Music cart would be ridiculed.. Now, it's merely laughed at..

antman811
January 12th, 2008, 21:57
Fanjita

osgeld
January 12th, 2008, 22:00
Fanjita and DAX are a given since theres about to be a new CFW for the psp (why did you ask this question NOW??)

but as gizmo stated theres a ton of people over a handful of systems who all do important work to bring us more and more goodies

camcorderdoctor
January 12th, 2008, 22:03
I'm gonna have to say Dark Alex hands down cause he gave us all the ability to play ps1 games (without the need for a PS3) and created the custom firmwares we have all come to love and use. He is a household name now.

I also have to give cudos to Fanjita as well.

WhizzBang
January 12th, 2008, 22:07
Dan Potter

ojdon
January 12th, 2008, 22:08
It has got to be Dark Alex. I wonder what the psp scene would be like without him...

one winged angel
January 12th, 2008, 22:21
fanjita or dark alex id say cuz both are awesome without them the psp scene would pretty much suck right now

fanjita dark alex you both own:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

gelon
January 12th, 2008, 22:24
ZX81, i just love his homebrew, and he works so hard

:thumbup:

Next Fanjita and Dark Alex

Special mention to: Mr. Mirakichi, NJ, Brunni, Exophase, Yoyofr, Laxer, Rukka and Danzel

pibs
January 12th, 2008, 22:27
For the psp scene I would say firstly SEC for releasing the first homebrew application for the psp (Hello World) then MPH and team for creating the first downgrader for 2.0fws, and Fanjita because he also had huge contributions to the scene. Not to mention Harleyg for creating the first custom firmware, then DAX for popstation.

-also all the great coders who contributed to the scene keeping it alive *too many to name ;)

royvedas
January 12th, 2008, 22:31
All the guys and gals who contributed to XBMP/XBMC. It is the single most important piece of homebrew to me. I use it every single day.

I vote for the "XBMC guys" as a collective.

maxipower90
January 12th, 2008, 22:34
hmm dark alex, fanjita ( sternerm < totally spelt wrong

you cant just choose one, they all are great, like Gizmo356 said this thread is disrespect to all coders who are working hard trying to be remembered as a great coder. im sure sternum dosent spent countless hours on it to be second best

goity
January 12th, 2008, 22:35
I am obviously, but then probably Squidge for his work on basically everything.

ICE
January 12th, 2008, 22:47
Hmm as great as DaX is Fanjita made homebrew possible on all PSP's with his guys so he's got my vote.

relion
January 12th, 2008, 23:37
How the hell can yo give dark alex and fanjita credit with out thanking Diltew, booster, strmnnrmn, DickyDick and Ahman they are all great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I mean where were you guys during the time of eLoader, Tiff and dehvhook

DarthPaul
January 12th, 2008, 23:41
My favorite coders are NekoGráfico, DimensionT, and Buddy4Point0. :)

But they're not the best![ha you lose guys]

I think the bests are:

- Flash Hacking: Dark_AleX
- Applications Coder: Fanjita/AhMan/deniska
- Homebrew Games: deniska
- Emulators: StrmnnRmn/exophase/NJ

JKKDARK
January 12th, 2008, 23:48
I forgot a special person:

Rand

He was from the Bleem team who developed the first PSX emulator for Dreamcast, in 2001.

Ayla
January 12th, 2008, 23:54
Dan Potter, for his awesome NAVI, And Natrium42.

Failedartifact
January 13th, 2008, 00:04
Dan Potter. His work on NAVI was truely amazing.. though did he finish his work? it seemed like he just left it.

creating KOS aswell.

Maxime.
January 13th, 2008, 00:06
Best hacker / coder is me, because he's me.
Nah seriously, it's definitely Fanjita : greatest coder for greatest exploits and greatest man.

pas
January 13th, 2008, 00:10
Just some great DS ones cause I don't care about the PSP Scene that much:

Dark Fader (the trojan aside ),
chishm (FAT Lib and DLDI),
Dragonminded (DSO FTW !),
0xtob (Pocketphysics and Nitrotracker own!),
Infantile Paralyzer (Moonshell anyone ?),
Stephen Sgstair (Wifi Lib is VERY useful ),
natrium 42 (passme 2 )

and of course !:

Olimar the creator of flashme !

one winged angel
January 13th, 2008, 00:27
hmm dark alex, fanjita ( sternerm < totally spelt wrong

you cant just choose one, they all are great, like Gizmo356 said this thread is disrespect to all coders who are working hard trying to be remembered as a great coder. im sure sternum dosent spent countless hours on it to be second best

youre right you cant choose one but if i were too name all awesome coders ii wouldve to spent like 2hors or something XD

bigleak2
January 13th, 2008, 00:51
i have to say dark alex
he made my old psp the man
but i dont run homebrew on my slim i love it too much lol

Justise
January 13th, 2008, 00:57
Both Dark Alex and the Noobz team!!!

talonreaper
January 13th, 2008, 01:14
I agree with pas.. :) (except for Dark Fader/Dark_Alex, he lost my vote)

Just some great DS ones cause I don't care about the PSP Scene that much:

Dark Fader (the trojan aside ),
chishm (FAT Lib and DLDI),
Dragonminded (DSO FTW !),
0xtob (Pocketphysics and Nitrotracker own!),
Infantile Paralyzer (Moonshell anyone ?),
Stephen Sgstair (Wifi Lib is VERY useful ),
natrium 42 (passme 2 )

and of course !:

Olimar the creator of flashme !

Nikolaos
January 13th, 2008, 01:43
I do not have a favorite coder, hacker or anything. Everybody who contributes to the PSP Scene, or the NDS scene has my vote... you all rock.

Gene
January 13th, 2008, 02:34
I think any coder that has ever contributed anything, are the best coders.

jamotto
January 13th, 2008, 04:11
Every single coder who made the homebrew scene just a bit better.

Aryn
January 13th, 2008, 05:06
Dark Alex for the win!

Sure, others have managed to hack various console systems, but he played a role in the development of the famous PSP Pandora hack and has been creating hacked versions of the latest PSP firmwares so that gamers never have to sacrifice features on their PSPs in order to continue running unsigned code. He also created Popstation (or is it Pops Loader? I forget) so that gamers can play their old PS1 games on PSP systems without having to repurchase them.

Dull Blade
January 13th, 2008, 05:38
Dan potter is omega!!! but honerable mention to bluecrab for his work on porting a saturn emulator to the DC amoung his other accomplishments, and chui for this very professional emulators.

bah
January 13th, 2008, 05:54

Veskgar
January 13th, 2008, 09:11
Its really hard and maybe impossible for me to pick a "greatest" PSP homebrew & emulation hacker. This is because so much is shared and contributed between developers so its sort of like one big team effort of sorts. This isn't the case for all projects, but certainly a lot of them.

Thanks to all the PSP homebrew developers and coders of past, present, and future.

- Veskgar

Kazayami
January 13th, 2008, 09:57
chrishm, natrium42 for make the DS scene so much easier to code and work with.

JKKDARK
January 13th, 2008, 10:59
Dan potter is omega!!! but honerable mention to blue crap for his work on porting a saturn emulator to the DC amoung his other accomplishments, and chui for this very professional emulators.
lol crap. It's BlueCrab :p

Bane King
January 13th, 2008, 13:18
I don't agree with this thread at all since alot of this wouldn't be possible with the combined effort of all the hackers.

I agree. I'm just a user so I'm totally useless when it comes to contribution but had it not been for everyones' work (that they do in their spare time and give FOR FREE), I'd have no real reason to own a psp. All the psp really is is a glorified portable ps2 with a ps3 interface. Although baddazz, my laptop does everything it does and more AND it does it much faster.

GOOD JOB coders and here's to keeping your stuff free ;)

badwog69
January 13th, 2008, 14:19
Dark_Alex for creating cfw for the psp and Fanjita for the pandora battery

Dull Blade
January 13th, 2008, 18:16
lol crap. It's BlueCrab :p

OMG, thanks for picking up on that one.... **feels like an illiterate retard** Edited.

matprogramix
January 15th, 2008, 12:49
Rafael Vuijk/Dark Father for his NDS hacking! (yes, i know he made a ds bricker but still)

kjetil1991
January 15th, 2008, 15:34
DARK ALEX he showed me the way to homebrew ;)

VampDude
January 24th, 2008, 00:54
Dark Alex, purely and simply because he opened doors what SONY wanted closed.

Safari Al
January 26th, 2008, 23:18
Definately Dark Alex and fanjita because they both gained us access to a realm we probably would've never found without them :p

cal360
January 26th, 2008, 23:23
I can't really say who. All coders and hackers have put all they can into the scene so they all deserve equal praise.

aznflameboy
February 24th, 2008, 04:16
Every1 of them r great since they contribute to this scene, but Booster, Da, and Fanjita ha a huge impact on this scene.

Basil Zero
February 25th, 2008, 07:17
Dark-Alex, because of him, Emulation progressed throughout PSP's lifetime.

alanparker05
March 10th, 2008, 23:01
dark alex is easily the most important person in homebrew he has help from other coders but he can do things that most people would think impossible and just give up on, and wont release anything that's not up to his standards

alexzander
April 14th, 2008, 14:55
Fanjita, BOOSTER and Dark_Alex.

MHentai
April 15th, 2008, 00:00
nowdays dark alex... but for me all the time is the guy which make cps2 machines came back from the death

firemaster#1
April 22nd, 2008, 06:43
nowdays dark alex... but for me all the time is the guy which make cps2 machines came back from the death

You mean nj I think he derserves a big mention for allowing us to play the vs., alpha espcially part 2, Darkstalkers, SSF2 series and many others and on the slim you don't even need cache. Also his neogeo and neogeo cd emulation was spot on.

Oh and my favorite are the Kxploit team for even starting homebrew,Fanjita for downgraders and ebootloaer because without it there would be no HEN, Booster for devhook, Team C+D for pandora's battery,Dark Alex andTeam M33 for Custom firmwares and 1.5 kernal for slim , Exophase for gpsp, Ruka for nester j, Mr. Mirachi's rin, Syn-Z for Dgen,Froggies Prods And TiTAN Handheld Division for R Gear (wish it would be update for slim though even in 1.5 in timemachine it dosen't work), PSmonkey for sandbox and other things, and also the person who made Hue, and all the other coders for making homebrew one of the most popular scenes in the world.

Hotrootsoup
April 26th, 2008, 06:29
DragonMinded,or Natrium42.

pepe55
October 27th, 2008, 09:00
Dark Alex - CFW
Booster - Devhook

freestile
June 3rd, 2009, 06:06
I think all these guys are the greatest. Without every coder/hacker/developer, there wouldnt even be a homebrew scene.

Scoe
June 16th, 2009, 00:20
I am going for a group of coders/hackers only becase they have made some of the most insanely challenging .wad's & .pwads for ultimate doom and doom 2 ever. That group I am refering too of course is no other than: TEAM TNT