PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 to go HD-DVD

wraggster
July 29th, 2005, 23:59
HD-DVD is taking another jab at Blu-Ray with the announcement of Toshiba using HD-DVD drives in the Xbox 360. Unfortunately though, the initial release Xbox 360’s will have just standard DVD drives and the HD-DVD will be pushed into the system when they are ready. Will this hurt Microsoft’s initial sale numbers? Only time will tell. This really is becoming a sick thunder dome battle between Microsoft and Sony for the best next-gen console and now the stakes will be even higher because the Playstation 3 will be using Blu-Ray.

Cap'n 1time
July 30th, 2005, 01:07
well thats a good decision made by microsoft (for once).

gimpyjr
July 30th, 2005, 05:02
100% agreed. The only question I have is, is that too little too late for microsoft? Not to mention that blu-ray still holds more than HD-DVD. 20 gigs more exactly. I do feel that an HD disc format will really help the xbox 360, especially since it's supposed to be all about high defenition in this generation.

Cap'n 1time
July 30th, 2005, 05:22
100% agreed. The only question I have is, is that too little too late for microsoft? Not to mention that blu-ray still holds more than HD-DVD. 20 gigs more exactly. I do feel that an HD disc format will really help the xbox 360, especially since it's supposed to be all about high defenition in this generation.

hd isnt for hi def, its high density. :)

It all may come down to which disk is cheaper in the end I suppose. I seriously doubt any games will be more then 20 Gigs though- thats already a ton of content.

gimpyjr
July 31st, 2005, 06:36
HD-DVD was invented to house high defenition video and/or large quantities of data!

Cap'n 1time
July 31st, 2005, 19:07
HD-DVD was invented to house high defenition video and/or large quantities of data!

or... its just made to hold alot of data :rolleyes:

J@F
July 31st, 2005, 20:43
The Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc) ,IMHO, is the way to go. What good is having 45GB (tri-layer) if it takes over 2.75 hours to read it all? (36Mb/s, just 1.5X the transfer rate of HDTV broadcasts) with HVD you get 3.9TB of data and 1Gb/s data transfer rate (I know It would take 8.75 hrs to read it all, but it would only take 6 min to read HD-DVD's 45GB, that's 27.5X faster than HD-DVD, and 41.25X the transfer rate of HDTV broadcasts) filling up 360's 512MB of RAM would only take 4s. (Again, HD-DVD would be 27.5X slower and would take 110s) Plus, it could be backwords compatible with DVD.

Everthing I just wrote is of course theoretical and the HVD standard is still in development, so 360 can't use this yet. I just want people to know there's a 3rd contender in HD video storage and it kicks the other 2's but, IMHO.

gimpyjr
August 1st, 2005, 01:09
that will probably be used ten years from now. Sure it's got a huge leap in tech over anything! Not even modern hard drives can hold 3.2 terabytes!

It's probably so expensive! give it ten or fifteen years

Cap'n 1time
August 1st, 2005, 02:35
yup... that would increase the cost of the system by... oh a few grand... i think il settle with bluray and hd dvd for now XD

gimpyjr
August 1st, 2005, 08:34
yeah LOL 3.2 TB's holy ___________ MAN!