PDA

View Full Version : Getting a psp, but faced with a decision

Dull Blade
January 13th, 2008, 19:44
I really dont like posting in help forums but I have some questions. I've decided, I'm going to make the jump from Dreamcast to PSP, not that I'm just going to give up DC, I'd just like a psp too.

So here the situation, I've found a psp for sale that is $110 canadain with 4 games: World Series Of Poker, NBA Live 06, Fight Night Round 3 and Virtua Tennis. not that I'd play most of them except for virtua tennis. Its primary purpose in life would be emulation and hombrew (will take up psp coding myself).

so this brings me to the problem. If I'm going to get a psp for souly hombrew, should I just get a slim instead? From what I've read and looked into, the slim boasts 2x the ram. Now my question is, is there any chance of this extra ram being implemented? I know that 32mb to 64mb is a big improvement. I'm not an expert on psp specification or anything but if you have 2x the ram, emulators like daedalus and neo geo / mame should run alot better.

Anonymous D
January 13th, 2008, 20:02
i know open bor utilizes the extra ram, as far as daedelus goes, i read somewhere that even with the extra ram it would not run significantly better. on the plus side you would be able to use skype! oh wait. homebrew already did that lol.

Prasoc
January 13th, 2008, 22:01
i have both and i would say go with the slim. the fat is quite a bit heavier and the slim is a bit thinner, and it has twice the flash0 space, which i know that the fat's flash0 is nearly full.

Eviltaco64
January 13th, 2008, 23:00
If you play a lot of games, then get a slim.
Better Battery Life
Faster Loading Times (For UMD Games)
Brighter LCD Screen
The disadvantage is the price and that its difficult to run old homebrew on Slim PSPs because its incompatible with it (there might be a patch out for it though).