PDA

View Full Version : PSP Quake 1 ver. 1.1

jurajstyk
January 13th, 2008, 23:53
Release by jurajstyk

This is a port of ID Software's Quake 1 to the PSP.
Based on PSP Quake port by Peter Mackay and Chris Swindle.

Developed and tested on PSP with firmware version '3.40 OE'.

Changes in this version
-----------------------
- Fixed bug that prevented changing sky texture between levels (HW rendering only)
- Fixed z-buffer related bug when rendering sprites (HW rendering only)
- Added options to turn on vertical synchronization and dithering (HW rendering only)
- Reorganized options menu (Select 'more options'/'less options' to switch options list)
- Added more options for analog stick controls
- Added analog stick strafing (while you hold stafe button or always if allowed in options menu )
- Configurable heap size
- MP3 playback changed from madlib library to playback trough module in firmware
- New command line options
- Simple startup screen to choose game mod directory, heap size and cpu clock (use -prompt command line option)

Features
--------
Working:
- Music playback trough MP3 implemented with module in firmware (can be switched on/off from options menu)
- Software and Hardware rendering.
- Single player game
- Sound
- Save/Load
- Console commands
- Command line params (through 'quake.cmdline' file)
- Multiple screen resolutions in software rendering (trough command line params)
- User made maps loading (from console or command line params)
- User made mods loading (through command line params)
- Demo recording and playback (from console)
- On Screen Keyboard

Known issues:
- Some mods or maps might not work due to memory constrains or might not work correctly
- timerefresh command disabled in hardware rendering (stability issue)
- Some maps require raising 'r_maxsurfs' and 'r_maxedges' to render correctly in SW client
(can be done from command line or console)

See readme file for details and installation instructions

Download available at : http://jurajstyk.host.sk/download.htm

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Shadowblind
January 14th, 2008, 00:06
Nice. This one work with Slim?

Ω

**1_Man_Matrix**
January 14th, 2008, 01:54
Analog Stick Strafing is a godsend, thanks heaps! :D

digitalvampirex
January 14th, 2008, 06:08
Just tested this out, and I love it...however, I can't get MP3 playback working, I freshly ripped the music tracks from my original quake 1 disk, named them 02.mp3, 03.mp3 ....ect...and put them in a subdirectory of ID1 dir called MP3, just like the readme said..and im not getting any music in the demos or when i start game....any help would be greatly appreciated, for the only reason I tried this out was for mp3 playback...i had an old quake 1 version from last year or somthing that i was using lol..

*edit* btw i'm using the PSP_Quake1_HW_KM version, my psps firmware is 3.71 m33-4 and im using the 1.5 kernal

bah
January 14th, 2008, 06:12
digitalvampirex: What firmware are you running?

digitalvampirex
January 14th, 2008, 06:27
ok nevermind....I feel really stupid now...i got my eboots mixed up...and i had my mp3 folder inside my ID1 folder....man this isent my night...but i got it working....and i must say, excelent work, i dont think quake on psp can get much better :thumbup:

**1_Man_Matrix**
January 14th, 2008, 08:27
For those of you looking for 'Coded Arms' controls, without the damn snap-back, your after the command line 'v_centerspeed 0' :)

Oh, and has anyone been able to get Ravages of Apocalypse to work yet?

Izowiuz
January 14th, 2008, 10:10
Thank You ! \m/

Silenus
January 14th, 2008, 20:13
any shots please

No_one_in_particular
January 14th, 2008, 20:50
Thanks for the update, this port is fantastic!

hokk
January 14th, 2008, 21:25
Nice. This one work with Slim?

ΩYes it does! (Tested with Slim 3.71M33-4)

I love this release, and now I can shut down the game without the PSP locking itself. And a lot of new options too, nice work!:D

HavocEngine
January 16th, 2008, 23:04
I have version 3.71 also but i cant seem to get it to work. I get this message:
The game could not be started.
(80020148)

I used the PSP_Quake1_HW_UM.
What am I doing wrong?
Also, i have the original PSP not the slim.

Anonymous D
January 16th, 2008, 23:24
3.71 m33? or 3.71 sony, if the latter it would not work anyway.

HavocEngine
January 17th, 2008, 02:08
Thanks for the reply! Its 3.71 sony, so i take it if i d/l 3.71 m33. Then i take and update the version of the PsP it would fix my problem? Thanks for the help!

bah
January 17th, 2008, 05:32
You cannot just install a custom firmware as easily as an official one. You can update from one custom firmware to a newer one easily, but you have to 'hack' the PSP to get it to run unofficial code to start with.

To quote one of my older posts from another thread (which in itself quotes another, older post of mine):

"Homebrew (unofficial software like PSP Quake) can not normally run on a PSP as sony blocks it. A long while back some very smart people found out how to run homebrew on the official firmwares 1.0 and 1.5. Sony patched the 'security hole' that allowed it to run and released new firmwares.

More recently there are custom firmwares.
A custom firmware is a modified/hacked/unofficial version of an official sony firmware. It had been hacked to allow it to run homebrew, as well as having all the features of the newer official firmware it is based on.

To get to a custom firmware from 3.71 you will need to use pandora's battery. To use pandora to get a custom firmware you either need access to someone with a PSP that is already running firmware 1.5 or one of the custom ones, or you need to buy a datel 'tool' battery and find a source for an (illegal) program that creates the special memory stick for you.

To quote one of my old posts:

"The pandora's battery is a standard PSP battery that has been modified slightly (electronically, the serial number it reports to the PSP has to be changed or something like that).

Once a battery has been modified correctly then you can use it, in combination with a memory stick pro duo containing some special files (the 'magic memory stick'), to put any PSP into what's called 'service mode'.

Once in this mode, all the security measures are disabled and the internal flash memory where the PSP's firmware (the operating system that starts up all the hardware and gives you the menu, image viewer, video player etc) is stored can be written to.

It was designed by sony to allow them to fix bricked PSPs (the internal memory that stores the firmware is corrupt and the PSP wont turn on) when they got sent back to be repaired.

Some extremely talented individuals named Team C+D found out how to make use of this service mode to install whatever you want onto the PSP. You can install the official sony firmware 1.5 (from which homebrew can be run), or one of the newer 'custom' firmwares.

These are unofficial versions of the sony firmwares that have been 'hacked' to allow homebrew to run, among other things.

That doesn't really help you in how exactly to do what you need to do, hopefully it clears up what the battery has to do with anything though.

There are lots of guides/apps for windows that do all the file copying for you, someone should be able to point you in the right direction. I still run 1.5 so have never needed to know the exact steps.""

HavocEngine
January 17th, 2008, 20:47
Thanks for the help. I just read up on Pandoras battery and need to get me another stick of flash memory and a battery :)

`The0n3
January 18th, 2008, 01:45
Does anyone know how to get Hexen 2 working with the psp slim?

BadBoy House
January 18th, 2008, 14:01
so what's infrastructure mode like - i take it there are always plenty of people online with it??

Destroyer564
January 20th, 2008, 06:23
hey where do i get a gfx.wad file?

bah
January 20th, 2008, 14:54
The readme mentions mission pack 2 as working, I can confirm mission pack 1 (HIPNOTIC) works fine with the line
-game HIPNOTIC +map start
in the quake.cmdline file (HW_KM).

Destroyer564: Do you have the pak0.pak file in the pspquake\ID1 folder?

EDIT: It did crash on level 2. I saved as soon as the map loaded, moved forwards and it chugged then crashed (turned off, no error).
I loaded it back up, loaded the save and have played through to the first level of the second chapter and have had no problems whatsoever so its probably not an issue at all.

I completely forgot about the new weapons in the mission packs, I love the laser cannon except for when your shots bounce back at you. :)

Den
January 22nd, 2008, 01:28
I've managed to get the mp3 playback to work in Quake however it crashes shortly after an mp3 ends. Is there a fix for this or do I have one of the config files set up incorrectly? Or could it be the format of the mp3's themselves. They are all ripped from the same album with the same specs . . . does anyone else have this problem?

Sorry to be such a n00b

[edit] I'm running 3.40 OE with the SW_UM version. If that helps.

Zethzune
January 22nd, 2008, 01:42
Does anyone know how to get Hexen 2 working with the psp slim?

Why are you asking about Hexen 2 in the Quake thread?
It should be simple if you have 1.50 or a cfw with 1.50 support. If you have something like 3.80 M33 and the 1.50 support you just put the Hexen 2 in GAME150 and copy the data1 folder out of a PC installation of Hexen 2 into the Hexen 2 folder in GAME150 on your PSP :D

I've managed to get the mp3 playback to work in Quake however it crashes shortly after an mp3 ends. Is there a fix for this or do I have one of the config files set up incorrectly? Or could it be the format of the mp3's themselves. They are all ripped from the same album with the same specs . . . does anyone else have this problem?

Sorry to be such a n00b

It could be the files, but I doubt it. I ripped the Quake music using Windows Media Player and it worked fine for me. I just converted it from WMA to MP3 at 128kbps and 44kHz.
If you do Properties on your Mp3 file go to the summary tab and switch into advanced view, down at the bottom it will tell you what your Bit Rate and Audio Sample Rate are.

Den
January 22nd, 2008, 01:59
192kbps, Can't find out the kHz, I'm on my mates laptop using Vista . . . It doesn't have those tabs as far as I can see (of they moved them somewhere stupid). I'll try mp3's of lesser quality as these are all 5mb+

Also should there be 10 or 11 mp3 files and would this effect it at all?

Zethzune
January 22nd, 2008, 02:15
192kbps, Can't find out the kHz, I'm on my mates laptop using Vista . . . It doesn't have those tabs as far as I can see (of they moved them somewhere stupid). I'll try mp3's of lesser quality as these are all 5mb+

Also should there be 10 or 11 mp3 files and would this effect it at all?

You should try to use some 128kbps songs.
I haven't used Vista yet so I couldn't say - Probably just changed where that stuff is.
Having track 10 and 11 doesn't effect the game, somehow I ended up without a track 11 and it worked fine. If a track is missing the game just throws an error in the console that the track couldn't be played and nothing happens.

Now that I think about it I think it's a bug in the mp3 play back since my game seems to be crashing about every 5 minutes (the length of the original tracks). The version of Quake with AdHoc didn't have this problem but it stuttered every time a sound played instead. :(

Den
January 22nd, 2008, 02:27
I've just tried some 128kbps tracks and still crashed when the mp3 is finished. Could you e-mail me your config files? [email protected]

Cheers

Zethzune
January 22nd, 2008, 02:34
I've just tried some 128kbps tracks and still crashed when the mp3 is finished. Could you e-mail me your config files? [email protected]

Cheers

I think it may be a bug in the game but I'll send them anyways.

Den
January 22nd, 2008, 03:56
Ta very much.

anteopimp
January 23rd, 2008, 03:34
can anyone help me, I put the pak files in id1 folder, what other files do I need??? if I'm missing a lot can someone send them to me? [email protected] ???

HydraLancer
January 23rd, 2008, 04:34
So far I am absolutely loving this port, my many thanks to the devs for working hard on this.

SO far there are only a few problems I have encountered:

Like mentioned above, It seems that no matter what bit rate you make MP3 files, it seems to crash the game at the end of the song, This is a pretty big disappointment considering how incredibly awesome such a feature is, but can hopefully be fixed.

I wonder if there was a way to contact the dev about it or if anyone else has tried, I didn't see an e-mail anywhere on the readme. I'd sure like to get this working considering I've been working on a pretty big mod for the game that has some great music.

My other quick thought is if anyone knows what pram to use in order to crank up the sound sample rate to at least 22050khz, considering the default sound rate was always a little low for most people.

Other than that everything is great, I hope to keep updated on this excellent project. :)

pigpen
January 25th, 2008, 20:00
Pretty good port :) I'm loving it.

However... isn't there always a however? ... Where has ad-hoc networking gone? It was there in V1.0 and I just found this version as the old version was a bit laggy when picking items up.

This version is much better, nice and smooth, but I can't frag my friends at work without ad-hoc mode :(

No_one_in_particular
January 26th, 2008, 01:24
Yeh I too have noticed the inevitable crashing, dunno if it's through the first mp3 finishing, though...

bah
January 26th, 2008, 05:50
Pretty good port :) I'm loving it.

However... isn't there always a however? ... Where has ad-hoc networking gone? It was there in V1.0 and I just found this version as the old version was a bit laggy when picking items up.

This version is much better, nice and smooth, but I can't frag my friends at work without ad-hoc mode :(

This is a modified version of jurajstyk's PSP Quake Version 1 with ad-hoc support added (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81996).
It doesn't have the updates from this new version (1.1) but should be fine for what you want. I've never used it personally (only ever used HW_KM from version 1 and 1.1 official).

BadBoy House
January 27th, 2008, 00:14
what about infrastructure mode - how do you use it and do many others use it?

Zethzune
January 27th, 2008, 14:12
what about infrastructure mode - how do you use it and do many others use it?

You use infrastructure mode by connecting two PSPs (or a PSP and a PC) via a wifi network. You could probably do it at a hotspot like they have at some of the fancy new McDonald's. But you have to have to know the other person you're going to play with, this isn't Halo 3 or Unreal Tournament - there are no master servers or listing services in Quake, so you have to have the IP address of a server running on PC or play directly against a PSP or PC that is inside the wifi Lan (or Wan, same difference)

No_one_in_particular
January 27th, 2008, 19:26
Ah^ That explains why my single attempt at playing over wifi was a disaster.

Zethzune
January 27th, 2008, 22:09
Ah^ That explains why my single attempt at playing over wifi was a disaster.

A server (PC or PSP) can be elsewhere on the internet, because Quake supports that, you just need to have the IP Address.
You can also play two PSPs over the internet through two different WANs. Other than starting a PSP Quake club with a dedicated server your best bet would be just to use the Ad Hoc version and play against someone else with Quake for PSP.

It's too bad there isn't a good Q2 port. Probably because Q2 was a PS1 game and you could just use the PS1 emulator stuff.

sidke
June 10th, 2008, 23:57
(Sorry for bumping a 5 month old topic, but I saw no other decent place to ask this)

I installed and ran PSP_Quake1_HW_UM with no problem at all. I played through the entire 1st episode also with no problem. I take my old Quake disc and neatly drag the ID1 folder over. Load up again, and go through to the second episode. The door opens, so I know that it sees I have the full version, but once I walk on the grate thing to teleport, it loads a bit from the MS then freezes. :S

Any ideas as to what the problem could be?
I've got a Slim running 3.90m33-2 and no extra configurations that I know of on the Quake port.

===EDIT===

Got it working... I don't know what I did, but now it works...

Thanks anyways.

Aerdest
August 9th, 2008, 18:21
The game starts but in the console it says.
Couln't exec autoexec.exe

What should I do to fix this?

bah
August 10th, 2008, 05:32
I would think it says couldn't exec autoexec.cfg not .exe.

Does the game continue loading and play?

Did you copy the ID1 directory from a PC quake install to the PSP's PSPQuake folder as the readme tells you to?

If so and its not working, try deleting that autoexec.cfg file from your ID1 directory (if you just copied all the PC data/config files over rather than just the .pak files).

crustyporkrhine
December 24th, 2008, 04:48
ok i am not sure what im doing wrong and im hoping someone will tell me im runing m-33 401 2 . mp3 works great ! game friggin rocks ! ive got my old scourge and dissolution disks! but im not reading , or getting the instructions right somehow! i put my hypnotic and rogue folders next to id1 in the quake hw folder. set my config file to " -game HIPNOTIC +map start " and the rogue line also . (not at same time) and it doesnt do anything . im dying to know why? and how it actually is . does the line need to say " -game HIPNOTIC +map start e1m1 " or " -game HIPNOTIC +e1m1 " ? please gimmee some heads up here sum 1 or email me a "RETARD PROOF " copy of the conf. file please? 8) [email protected] (oh! btw what are the odds of making or adding gl to the psp descent version for psp cuz im kinda tired of the pixelly lowrez vers majik made?) just a thought since this port kicks so much ass!

ricky006
January 20th, 2009, 13:13
Any guide on getting mission pack 1 working please ????

elliotw2
June 1st, 2010, 05:15
This is an old topic, but I can't get this to work on my PSP. It starts to load a demo, or the map, and it hard crashes the system. Any ideas?

ballwinkle
June 1st, 2010, 23:25
Whats better this version or http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21673