PDA

View Full Version : Play any PC game on PS3

Shrygue
January 14th, 2008, 15:24
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=179385)

Third-party software company, StreamMyGame, has launched a free application that "enables you to play any PC game via a PlayStation 3 running Linux."

Sounds shit-your-pants awesome, so what's the catch? The clue is in the name of the company. Linux Player isn't a dream-making format converter, it's a video and audio streaming app.

As StreamMyGame explains: "The free StreamMyGame Server enables PC games to be played remotely by converting the game's video and audio into a Game Stream and sending it over a home network to a second computer where you can view and play the game with the free StreamMyGame Player."

Yes, that includes the latest PC games like Crysis, with resolutions up to 3200 x 2400 (more than your eyes can see, we reckon).

It's a universal trick too. "The second computer can be a PC, laptop, PS3 or Linux device," it says in the announcement - essentially extending your high-end PC gaming to any room in the house with a PS3 or PC. We wonder if the controls all work the same.

It's all streaming over a home network (not the internet), so there's no worry about lag or a loss of picture quality. "The game can be played on the second computer without any lag and the second computer does not need to have the game installed."

But internet-compatible plans are in place. "StreamMyGame will extend its services in March 2008 to enable games to be played remotely over broadband networks that have sufficient capacity such as Verizon's FiOS, Comcast's Wideband and British Telecom's FTTP."

Those are probably some super-fast services we've not heard of yet, because we're sure our 8Mb connection wouldn't be able to take the strain.

Find out more at the StreamMyGames website (http://www.streammygame.com/).

Triv1um
January 14th, 2008, 15:59
Ive seen some vids of this running the crysis demo.

It actually looks damn smooth.

JKKDARK
January 14th, 2008, 16:16
oh but there are zero good games for Linux lol

Triv1um
January 14th, 2008, 17:01
No JKK, it streams from a Windows PC, so it can be controlled remotely from linux.

morninghead
January 14th, 2008, 19:31
Hey, I have a couple of question. I'm wanting to get a PS3 and if I do I'd like to put Linux on it so I could do this and some other stuff. So my questions are how much memory does putting Linux on the PS3 take, is it a complicated process, and do you have to have a Linux operating CD to put it on there or can you just download a different version onto the PS3 from the internet?

Triv1um
January 14th, 2008, 20:21
So my questions are how much memory does putting Linux on the PS3 take

Guessing you are going to get a 60gb, you can set a (50gb ps3 + 10gb linux partion) or a (50gb linux + 10gb ps3 partion)

is it a complicated process

Nah, you insert the disk. Go onto install OtherOS in the gameOS and follow the instructions

do you have to have a Linux operating CD to put it on there or can you just download a different version onto the PS3 from the internet?

Guessing you want ubuntu, you need the CD (LiveCD or alternate CD).

If you want WiFi you will have to install a ps3 custom kernel.

If you get a PS3 and you want to do the whole Linux thing, check out www.psubuntu.com

F9zDark
January 14th, 2008, 21:30
Been looking for this since I last heard about it. Would be sweet to play COD4 on my PS3; I'll give this a try later.

-Xandu-
January 14th, 2008, 22:01
Question, does the streaming Windows PC have to have the required system requirements or is the PS3 just enough?

F9zDark
January 14th, 2008, 22:13
Question, does the streaming Windows PC have to have the required system requirements or is the PS3 just enough?

Yes it does, since the Windows PC is playing the game. The PS3 with Linux (Linux is required) simply takes the incoming stream (video and audio only) and uses the keyboard and mouse on the PS3 w Linux to "play".

This is akin to a remote desktop connection or remote play. In the instance of remote play, the PSP is doing none of the "work" rather accepting the audio and video stream and allowing button presses to affect the game, XMB, etc.

If the PS3 had to do anything, it wouldn't work, since Linux doesn't have GPU access, and from what I have read, has very little access to RAM.

F9zDark
January 15th, 2008, 04:29
I have been working on getting this setup for the better part of 2 hours. Got things going "right" but now I need a decoder for the audio and the one the site supplied didn't work when I tried it.

Be prepared to spend awhile getting this working...

Napalm-Death
January 15th, 2008, 04:47
I was really hoping that I could use this to play Gears with a decent frame rate, I wish it didn't depend on the computer's video card as well.

F9zDark
January 15th, 2008, 18:15
Finally got it working. Works rather well, although at times it can get a tad choppy. I was playing COD4 online so that may have had something to do with it (1 lan card streaming over network at 80 mbps and playing on the internet.)

Video got artifacts once in a while and mouse is little choppy with the movements. However it worked and worked rather well. For slow paced games this may work really well.

However, for now, in a game like COD4 online, it needs a bit of improvement. Then again, it could have easily be the fact that I was playing it on a Standard Def TV when I am used to maximum resolution on my computer monitor (1600x1200 I believe).

But it is a great application and if anyone needs some help setting it up on YDL and getting it running, just ask.