PDA

View Full Version : Mini vMac DS R3 - Mac Emu for Nintendo DS

wraggster
January 14th, 2008, 22:59
Lazyone (http://lazyone.drunkencoders.com/wordpress/?p=62) has posted a new release of his Mac Emulator for the Nintendo DS, Heres the release info:

This should work with most homebrew devices, I cannot guarantee
all of them since a few have broken DLDI drivers.

You can test your driver by following the instructions here:
http://dldi.drunkencoders.com/index.php?title=Testing_instructions

Thanks to everyone who helped me out with this, it’s been such
a long time though I don’t remember everyone.

If you did help out in some way please comment or email me
so I can update the post/zip with a list of credits.

About documentation:
If you sent in documentation but it’s not in the zip there
is a good chance I lost it.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

crookedmouth
January 15th, 2008, 05:38
Wow, I can't believe it's here! Thank you Lazyone!

Tripsk8er333
January 15th, 2008, 16:44
Hey it's out. WOW. Thanks for all of the Great work Lazyone.

If anyone needs help I am here.

Thanks

Tripsk8er333

Nold
January 15th, 2008, 17:06
I just booted it and just thought: "WoW"
it became so fast and great *~* i love it *~* :D

great job! keep it up! :thumbup:

paul3100
January 16th, 2008, 08:45
Nice emulator, always love to see a new emu out for the DS

One question . what games does it play? is it like the apple II ?

paul

Mini Moose
January 16th, 2008, 09:27
Wow! Absolutely incredible! Everything works great on Max Media Dock! Thank you so much!

Does sound work? I'm a little confused...

TheLazy1
January 16th, 2008, 14:11
Unfortunately sound is not possible since the emulator does not run at full speed.

Mini Moose
January 17th, 2008, 10:08
Ah, I see.... I'm gonna miss hearing the "boot up" sound. ):

But thank you for your hard work! It's amazing how well it works. I showed this to my Aunt, and she flipped-out! Now I can use MacPaint on the go! :D

TheLazy1
January 17th, 2008, 16:30
Good to hear it's working for you.

I realized last night that there is no picture to go with this release.
Here's my DS playing Oregon Trail:
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/6093/otak0.th.jpg (http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=otak0.jpg)

Mini Moose
January 18th, 2008, 04:11
I got a question. Does this only run system 6?

TheLazy1
January 18th, 2008, 05:06
It can run any OS that a Macintosh Plus can, so up to and including 7.5.5.

Mini Moose
January 18th, 2008, 08:35
Oh wow! Really?! I thought that it only ran system 6. XD Okay, great. Thanks a bunch.

Oh, I was just thinking that the only thing the emu is missing is the emulation-cut when you fold the DS. And faster mouse cursor speed in Dpad mode. (;

TheLazy1
January 18th, 2008, 16:13
I will warn you now, while System 7.5.5 runs it is unbearably SLOW.
Don't even bother unless you have a ram expansion since the system software uses 1.5MB of memory as it is.

6.0.8 Is the optimal operating system for the Plus and especially the DS port for cpu power and memory reasons.

As for the power-save when closed feature, I must have forgotten it since I always shut down the DS when I'm not using it.

crookedmouth
January 19th, 2008, 04:49
I've tried this awesome emulator on my MMD and GnM cards. With both I corrupt the drive image as soon as I touch anything. Everything works in the PC version of MiniVMac, so if I open the folder containing the program, save it in PC version, then save that to either card, I can run a program once. Opening any folder or program makes it "Damaged" or "not present", saving crashes the system.
I am using 6.0.8 and like I said everything works in Windows version. On the DS, I can run the emulator and look at this wondrous emulator but moving or opening anything damages it.

Is there a disk image size limit?
If Mini Moose doesn't have the same problems with his MMD, what CF card do you have and what size disks are you using?
I know I am installing everything correctly(including DLDI patching of course)
Maybe I will try to keep disk images under 4 mb or less.
Anyway awesome work Lazy1, I'm praying I can get it to work on the GnM, but if not I still thank you.

TheLazy1
January 19th, 2008, 06:21
The problem may lie with your dldi driver being broken.
Check the original post on my blog, it has a link to a dldi tester.

It's important to know if it's the emulator causing this or just your hardware.
On my end I have not had it corrupt anything, then again Supercard CF support has been excellent.

crookedmouth
January 19th, 2008, 09:02
Thanks for the response. I did the dldi test and it passed all the tests. I've had some success with the MMD but the GnM is just failing me here. It could be too slow with read/write to handle the emulator.Chism mentioned this when he released the dldi patch. I'll test my MMD further. It seems to like smaller files. I had initially made a 100MB drive image, it didn't seem to like that, but I'll test it more.
Thanks again.

ubersk8kid
January 23rd, 2008, 01:20
WOOT! Cant wait to play oregon trail :)

crookedmouth
January 23rd, 2008, 04:51
I got it to work,and am so happy!

For anyone with a Games N Music trying to get this to work, I had to use my 1gig SanDisk microSD to get this to work. I don't know weather it is a disk size issue or just a quality issue.
The stock 128mb, corrupted all disk images as soon as I touched them.

In my experience the Max Media Dock seemed to eventually corrupt also, causing a need to format my card. This could be a similiar quality problem where a better CF card would work fine.

Anyway I am very happy now.What an incredible emulator! Saves work fine, I can't wait to get into the D&D Gold Box games!

Thank you again Lazyone for an exellent piece of coding.

TheLazy1
January 24th, 2008, 06:38
Thanks but keep in mind most of the work was done by Paul C. Pratt who wrote the main sources of Mini vMac.

A side note:
I am planning to do a re-port based on the 3.x sources sometime in the near future.

I have set a few goals that must be reached before anything will be released, a few are:
- Rewrite m68k core in arm assembly
- Rewrite user interface, allowing for key binding, disk loading and configuration at runtime
- Proper time support
- DS Power management

Still, good to hear people are getting some use out of it.

Mini Moose
February 6th, 2008, 08:58
100MB disk images?! You're insane! 0.0'

I'm using a 2.5MB disk image for my main "hard drive".

What I did was; first I installed System 6 and everything on a blank disk image through Mini vMac on my Mac. Then I gave it the appropriate disk name, and dumped everything in it's proper place on my CF card. You don't have to use dummy images or anything complicated like that.

Here's the blank image that I used.

crookedmouth
February 7th, 2008, 03:28
Thanks but keep in mind most of the work was done by Paul C. Pratt who wrote the main sources of Mini vMac.

A side note:
I am planning to do a re-port based on the 3.x sources sometime in the near future.

I have set a few goals that must be reached before anything will be released, a few are:
- Rewrite m68k core in arm assembly
- Rewrite user interface, allowing for key binding, disk loading and configuration at runtime
- Proper time support
- DS Power management

Still, good to hear people are getting some use out of it.

Wow those additions would be incredible especially the key bindings!
When you mention rewriting in arm assembly, I was wondering if this means you think you can glean more speed from this emulator?
I understand it's a port of an emulator, but I'm thanking you for allowing us to use it on the go. :)

100MB disk images?! You're insane! 0.0'

I may be, but it works great having everything on one disk. I've kept 20MB free on the virtual drive, so I can add new stuff. I do have a "floppy" with Xyphus(an rpg) on it, but I can't figure out how to walk off the screen.

Mini Moose
February 8th, 2008, 07:28
I may be, but it works great having everything on one disk. I've kept 20MB free on the virtual drive, so I can add new stuff. I do have a "floppy" with Xyphus(an rpg) on it, but I can't figure out how to walk off the screen.

XD

Oh, okay. I just didn't think that it would be able to handle such a large image file.

Killa-X
February 9th, 2008, 00:33
God I feel stupid. Where can i get a Mac rom image for it?!

If i need a floppy that sucks cuz my dad was anti-mac >_>

Mini Moose
February 12th, 2008, 09:25
God I feel stupid. Where can i get a Mac rom image for it?!

Google it! :D

If i need a floppy that sucks cuz my dad was anti-mac >_>

It's such a shame your dad feels that way.

x24
March 17th, 2008, 17:05
sorry for reviving but I needed alittle help..

I got all the needed files exactly as the txt file said but I can't move on to the instructions..

the instruction is this:
Open Stuffit Expander and drag both system disk archives into the window that says "Drag and drop archives and encoded files here".

When I open Stuffit Expander all it does is gives me a very long list of all the zip files I have on my computer.. I go to open and try to open the two bin files manually and it says its not supported.. can anyone recommend an alternative to getting the needed files out of it?

Ascertain20
March 30th, 2008, 16:53
Mini vMac for the R4 works for Games 'N' Music, but when I start it up, it says it needs to boot from the GBA slot. I did everything it said to do in this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=pK0VeuI6et0) video. Now I'm stumped about what to do next. What do I do?

stolky
April 12th, 2008, 19:31
I can't see my programme's on my ds, what for a file is it: .dsk or something, sorry for my bad english i'm from the dutch

zaine02
June 20th, 2008, 11:19
cool :P has any one tryed to do windows 3.1 yet? that would be way cool

DanTheManMS
June 21st, 2008, 09:35
If a port of DOSbox runs at 1fps (if that) I doubt anything that could emulate Windows 3.1 would run at a playable speed.

Apple Guy
June 28th, 2008, 22:08
Can anyone get this to work in DeSmuME?

I am going to get the CycloDS but want to try it out.
The error I get is it can't find the vMac.ROM. The rom I have works perfectly (tested in Mini vMac for Mac).

Please help

DanTheManMS
July 2nd, 2008, 06:30
Make sure the *.nds file is DLDI patched for the R4 and that iDeaS is set to use the R4 DLDI file. Then make sure your *.dsk files and VMAC.ROM file is in a folder called "vmac" and try again. If it doesn't work, then perhaps it just doesn't run in iDeaS.

ernestmac13
August 26th, 2008, 06:27
This is an amazing emulator as, it will give us better office/pda type apps than DS organize has in its current state. I have a couple of recommendations. For those good with a soldering iron, they can overclock their DS and DS lite between 1.4 and 1.7 times its currant speed. There is a tutorial at http://ndshotmod.com/ Second, I think you might connect with the person who have made a serial port hack for the DS, to see it you might be able to make a driver for the port, or for USB or bluetooth which are things he is working on. His link is http://www.natrium42.com/projects/serial.php

Keep up the good work.

crookedmouth
September 3rd, 2008, 04:57
I really like MinivMacDS, if anyone has been leery of trying it because it sounded complicated, they should check this out.

** If you enjoy playing RPGs or Adventure games there are some great unique games for the Mac Plus. Some of them are playable at lower speeds. I have a small list at the bottom of this post.
__________________________________________________ _____

Note- If you just want to check out how minivMacDS runs on your DS, You can just find/download the vMac.ROM.Install MinivMacDS R3 on your DS and add disk0.dsk and disk1.dsk from the download below to the vmac folder on the root of your card.They are in the vmac folder within the zip file.

MiniVMACDS_Files.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/?15w4drfxnjm

__________________________________________________ _______

For convenience the included .zip has all files needed to make Disk Images and place Mac Programs on them for use with MiniVMac and therefore MiniVMacDS.

Download and Extract MiniVMacDS_Files.zip,NOTE: this contains no illegal files, and I have removed Vmac.ROM from it.The System disks are all legally available and the rest is Freeware or Shareware.

MiniVMacDS_Files.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/?15w4drfxnjm

MiniVMac folder contains miniVMac emulator for windows,and some Mac files and Disk Images.

This includedes 3 Startup Disk images in the MiniVmac folder.
Systems 6.0.8/7.0.1/7.5.5

These will be renamed to disk0.dsk when you are ready to run MiniVMac on your DS.For now leave everything as is.

In a folder named PC_FILES I placed all the files that run in Windows.

-Dummy.exe for creating files of any size.

-HFV_Explorer for viewing Mac drive images and dragging files from your PC onto them.

-Stuffit Standard 9, this is the Windows version of a Mac Archiving tool.This you will need once you find files that are in .SEA extension.

-I have also included the Zork trilogy which was released as freeware awhile back, we can use this file to become familiar with getting .SIT(Stuffit Files) into your Mac Emulator using a PC.

1. Find and Download vMac.rom,this is the Mac Plus Rom Image.

-Google "vmac.rom"

- Get it and place it in the MiniVMac folder(this is where the windows version of VMac is, later you will place this in the vmac folder on your DS)

2. Creating a file that will become your Mac Hard Drive

-Run Dummy.exe located in the PC_Files Folder.

-Create a text file, choose whatever size you like.For this example I'm making a 10 MB file.This will create a 10 megabyte "dummy" file named Dump.txt in default path of C:\. Make sure you change to MB.

-Rename this file MacHD.dsk.

-Run MiniVMac.exe,under File open System608_boot.dsk then drag the newly created 10MB MacHD.dsk on to the emulator's desktop, or go to File and choose Open Disk Image and browse to MacHD.dsk.

-It will say "Not a Macintosh disk", choose Initialize, then choose Empty and then name it something relevent, for this example lets use "MacHD".MiniVMac formats the blank disk and now can read/write from it.

-Close MiniVmac by going to Special and Choosing Shut Down, now you can close the window.

3. USE HFV_EXPLORER to ADD .SIT and .Bin files to your new drive image

For this example we will add Stuffit Expander and ZorkTrilogy.SIT.

-In HFV_Explorer folder, run HFVExplorer.exe, under File choose Open Volume.

-Open your 10MB HD image MacHD.dsk.

-On the Left you will see your new disk MacHD, and below it you will see your PCs Drive Letters.Use the drive letters to Browse to wherever you have placed stuffit_expander_40.bin and ZorkTrilogy.SIT.Drag both files onto MacHD at the top of the left side.MacHD will be highlighted as you drop it onto the small icon.

-Shut down HFVExplorer.

4. Install Stuffit Expander on your MacHD and Expand ZorkTrilogy.SIT

-Run MiniVMac, open MacHD and double click Stuffit Expander 401 Installer, choose continue then Install and Install again.Stuffit 401 is now installed, you can bin the installer.

-Restart MiniVmac, by going to Special then Restart, choose system701 or sytem 755 as your Startup disk(for some reason Stuffit 401 only works with system7 in my tests)

-Open up MacHD then open Stuffit Folder. Drag ZorkTrilogy.SIT directly onto the Stuffit Expander icon. This will expand the .SIT file and it will place a folder called Zork Trilogy f on your MacHD. Stuffit will always place the expanded folder/file along side the .SIT file so make sure it is on a disk with enough space.

Getting this to work on your DS

-Go here, http://lazyone.drunkencoders.com/wordpress/?p=62

-Download Mini vMac DS-R3.zip

-Place the Folder vmac and minivmac.ini file directly in the root of your card.

-In the bin folder you will find two versions of MinivMacDS.nds,use the one in 2.5MB folder.Just DLDI patch it and place this anywhere on your card.

-Place the rom you found called VMac.rom inside the vmac folder

- Rename a System disk from the example above to disk0.dsk, use 6.0.8.(These are in the MiniVMac folder)
Also Rename MacHD.dsk to disk1.dsk.Place these two files in the vmac folder.

-Run MiniVMacDS.nds

-In the middle of writing this I found a very nice walk through for setting up 6.0.8 on miniVmac for windows. Read it here.
http://www.emaculation.com/minivmac/index.html

List of Some Games I found Playable
-Oregon Trail
-Uninvited(I think Deja Vu I & II also)
-Quarterstaff(Mac only game by Infocom)
-Shadowkeep
-The Hobbit
-Moria (Rougelike)
-Bards Tale
-Dungeon Revealed
-Citadel
-Dungeons of Doom
-Theldrow
-Wizardry 1
-King's Bounty(precursor to Heroes of M&M)
-Scarab of Ra
-Curse of the Azure Bonds(Most of the early "Gold Box D&D" games are hard to play without Docs)

-
-

Ascertain20
September 22nd, 2008, 04:07
Yes, but how would it work with Games 'N Music. When I tried doing all that, it said it needed to load from a slot 2 device which I don't have. Any suggestions?

crookedmouth
September 23rd, 2008, 06:27
Did you by accident use the 4MB version?

You are using MiniVMacDS R3 version?

I have to admit my stock 128MB GnM MicroSD corrupted any drive image I ran through minivmac.My sandisk 1GB runs it flawlessly on my GnM.
It has never given that slot2 message though, did you dldi patch it correctly?

You have the Vmac.rom in the vmac folder right?

On one card I needed to place everything in my Root.Meaning everything from vmac folder(disk0.dsk,rom) the INI and the .nds file.

Ascertain20
January 20th, 2009, 02:44
Did you by accident use the 4MB version?

You are using MiniVMacDS R3 version?

I have to admit my stock 128MB GnM MicroSD corrupted any drive image I ran through minivmac.My sandisk 1GB runs it flawlessly on my GnM.
It has never given that slot2 message though, did you dldi patch it correctly?

You have the Vmac.rom in the vmac folder right?

On one card I needed to place everything in my Root.Meaning everything from vmac folder(disk0.dsk,rom) the INI and the .nds file.

So if I'm using Games N Music, I'd have to use the 2MB version? I used the DLDI patcher for Games N Music card.

I just need a step by step of how to get it to work with my Games N Music card. I have a PNY 2GB Micro SD card.

crookedmouth
January 20th, 2009, 03:00
Regardless of weather your using a GnM or not 4MB version is for users that have the slot 2 ram expansion.

Mediafire is down right now but I think that link will work when it gets up again. If not I'll re-up it. Either way the guide was done using a GnM.

PNY 2GB card works with GnM does it? If other DLDI compatible apps work with your set-up then this should work.

Ascertain20
January 23rd, 2009, 05:46
Ok so I believe I'm doing most of the steps right up to the point where I do the DS work. I try to open StuffIt Expander in Mini vMac, but it keeps saying "there is not enough memory to open stuffit expander 401 installer." Do I have to do the additional steps on the e-maculation page?

crookedmouth
January 23rd, 2009, 12:19
Use the emulator MiniVMac on your PC to do these steps.

Remember use 7.0.1 or 7.5.5 startup disks when actually expanding the stuffit files on your emulator.

Once everything is the way you like it, then place the disks on your DS

Ascertain20
January 30th, 2009, 01:32
So I got everything to work, but I was wondering if there's a keyboard for the bottom screen. If not, how do I type words when I'm in the DS? So far I've mastered Up + X and down or up with the D-Pad to click and hold down and choose what I want.

crookedmouth
January 30th, 2009, 02:15
So I got everything to work, but I was wondering if there's a keyboard for the bottom screen. If not, how do I type words when I'm in the DS? So far I've mastered Up + X and down or up with the D-Pad to click and hold down and choose what I want.

There should be a keyboard displayed in your bottom screen along with a few options like screen scaling and three options for mouse emulation. When MiniVmac starts the mouse is mapped to a scaled position in relation to where you are touching the touch screen, however this happens right over the keyboard. Pressing start brings up the D-pad control of the mouse and as you mentioned X is a mouse-click.

What device are you running this on?

I'm curious as to why you can't see the keyboard or if the touchscreen doesn't work for the scaled mouse.

Ascertain20
January 30th, 2009, 02:53
Games 'N Music version 1.22.

I just don't see the keyboard at all. All I see is a black screen. Is there a file I'm missing that will bring up the keyboard?

crookedmouth
January 30th, 2009, 12:45
Games 'N Music version 1.22.

I just don't see the keyboard at all. All I see is a black screen. Is there a file I'm missing that will bring up the keyboard?

On my GnM I had to upgrade the MicroSD card to a 1GB SanDisk to get this to work(other brands may work but this is the only one I got to work). I was getting a "disk not present" error or something though.

You did find a Vmac.rom right?

You're sure you dldi patched the .nds file?
Use the v1 dldi if you have a different MicroSD card other then the 128MB.

You chose the 2.5 MB version of the .nds file right?

Another problem that happened to me that sounds similar to yours is, on one of my SanDisks, I had to move all of the files and folders from the vmac folder directly into the root of my card. I mean all of them: the Vmac.Rom, MiniVmac.nds file, minivmac.ini, disk0.dsk, disk1.dsk and the entire ui_gfx Folder.

Basically just chose everything that is in vmac folder and move it to the root.

Hope that helps. I know it works on the GnM, but if you have the 128MB you may have to upgrade.

Ascertain20
January 31st, 2009, 21:07
Well I have a 2 GB SD card so no upgrade there. Second, I think the ui_gfx folder is what I'm missing and I don't think I found it in the Mini vMac DS files.

crookedmouth
January 31st, 2009, 22:41
Well I have a 2 GB SD card so no upgrade there. Second, I think the ui_gfx folder is what I'm missing and I don't think I found it in the Mini vMac DS files.

That is contained in the MiniVmacR3 from lazyone's site, I didn't want to include that in the files I supplied. You must of skipped a step. :)

http://lazyone.drunkencoders.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/Mini%20vMac%20DS-R3.zip

What brand is the 2Gig MicroSD, btw?

Ascertain20
February 1st, 2009, 00:31
That is contained in the MiniVmacR3 from lazyone's site, I didn't want to include that in the files I supplied. You must of skipped a step. :)

http://lazyone.drunkencoders.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/Mini%20vMac%20DS-R3.zip

What brand is the 2Gig MicroSD, btw?

PNY.

crookedmouth
February 1st, 2009, 01:51
PNY.

Good to know, thanks.

genowing
April 25th, 2009, 01:36
How do I open Disk Images in MVMDS?

crookedmouth
April 25th, 2009, 03:53
How do I open Disk Images in MVMDS?

You rename them to disk0.dsk, disk1.dsk, disk2.dsk, disk3.dsk, disk4.dsk or disk5.dsk

I also wrote up a small guide with links to pre-made disk images. You will need to find the vMac.rom but thats real easy.

Guide link
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2148122322&postcount=33

--
-
--
-
--

genowing
April 25th, 2009, 05:00
Thanks. Still have all my old Mac Disks and am looking forward to playing the old games again.

player1244
June 28th, 2009, 14:31
When does it get updated again :confused:
I want to see the new features!