PDA

View Full Version : NOTE: Problems with Sony 3.80 firmware memory stick driver

-Xandu-
January 15th, 2008, 21:34
jas0nuk posted this interesting information

In 3.80, Sony have heavily "optimized" the fatmsmod.prx which is the memory stick driver, reducing the size by nearly 80kb.

However, whatever they did seems to have had 2 effects
1) Caused crappy read and write speeds for certain memory sticks
2) Totally broken Saved Data and Game menus for certain memory sticks

However, USB hasn't been affected as these drivers haven't changed.

A possible solution is to replace fatmsmod.prx with the decryped one from 3.71 - not easy as the exports will need to be changed to the new random ones in 3.80

Not working

Sony 4GB
Sandisk 4GB Gaming
Sandisk 1GB Gaming
Lexar 4GB (works on homebrew but not ISOs)
Sony 1GB

Slow but working

Sony 4GB
Sony 4GB
Sandisk unknown size
Sandisk 4GB Ultra II
Sandisk 4GB
Sandisk 4GB Gaming
Sandisk 4GB Ultra II
Sandisk 4GB (no slowdown with M33 driver)
Sandisk 4GB (no slowdown with M33 driver)
Sony 8GB
Sandisk 4GB Gaming
Sony 4GB (no slowdown with M33 driver)

Working

Sandisk 4GB
Sony 2GB
Sony 2GB MSX-M2GS
Sony 2GB HighSpeed (fake)
Sandisk 256MB
Sandisk 2GB
Sandisk 512MB
Sandisk 4GB Ultra II
Sony 8GB MSX-M8GS
Sony 1GB
Sony 2GB
Sandisk 2GB M2 (in an MS adapter)
Sony 1GB - "only one comment: I used this card as a Magic Memory Stick to write 3.71 M33-2 with DCv3 to my PSP slim. After that, I tried one ISO game, Silent Hill Origins. It was choppy. Then I installed 3.80 M33, then 3.80 M33-2. I reformatted my card with windows, as FAT32. Then with PSP, and 3.80 M33-2 formatted to FAT instead of FAT32. Now it's not choppy. Works fine."
Sony 4GB
Sony 1GB
Sandisk 2GB
Sony 4GB
Sandisk 4GB Gaming
Sandisk 2GB Gaming
Sandisk 4GB Gaming (formatted as FAT32)
Sandisk 4GB (formatted as FAT32)
Sony 1GB (fake)
Sandisk 512MB
Sony 2GB (fake)
Sandisk 4GB
Lexar 1GB Platinum II
Sony 4GB
Sony 8GB
Sony 32MB
Sandisk 4GB
Lexar 4GB
Sandisk 4GB
Sony 4GB (fake)
Sandisk 512MB
Sony 1GB
Sony 1GB
Sandisk 2GB Ultra II (reformatted under 3.80)
Sandisk 4GB Gaming (formatted as FAT32)

Weird occurence: I had someone test a 32MB stick that wasn't working in 3.80 M33-2 after trying all the usual fixes, it instantly worked fine in 3.80 official firmware.
He went back into 3.80 M33-2 and it continued to work.

OK, after collecting this info, looks like formatting it in the PSP under 3.80 usually fixes it. The firmware should automatically format 4GB+ sticks to FAT32, which also seems to solve the problem if done manually in Windows via USB.
Even then, some memory sticks report slowdown with certain ISOs, this can sometimes be fixed by using the M33 driver.

However this is unacceptable, 3.81 should be released with no more stupid POPS bug and a fixed memory stick driver.

dejkirkby
January 15th, 2008, 21:44
There is a fix to this...
What's with the xxxxxxx.com source, a bit cheeky to say the least...

The_Ultimate_Eggman
January 15th, 2008, 22:21
I dont think it fixes it Dej hence the complaints..

Uruz 6
January 15th, 2008, 22:22
Still.. how could they screw up big time like this?

Anonymous D
January 15th, 2008, 22:23
sony managed to mess up thier own driver? wow. thyve sunk lower than i thought was even possible

-=me=-
January 15th, 2008, 22:44
the fake sony 4gb works but the real one doesnt..... LOL

Panda Bear K
January 15th, 2008, 23:09
sony managed to mess up thier own driver? wow. thyve sunk lower than i thought was even possibleYeah, I know eh? PSP > PS3 remote play is total shit. So's internet radio, gamesharing, UMD cacheing.

urherenow
January 15th, 2008, 23:16
this might be related to all the other problems people are having. Even with the radio function (it uses the memory stick for a cache, doesn't it?)

mike_jmg
January 16th, 2008, 02:58
Mine seems to work fine
I haven't noticed anything unusual, I think:confused:

the radio is a bit slow, but I atributed that to my internet conection, and the fact that my brother was using his myspace (wich is really heavy).

I'll check again though

My backed up games are working as good as always
Haven't tried any PS1 games

Mine is a 4GB Sony memory stick (magicgate supported, so, not fake)

My homebrew works fine too, what slowdown????:confused:

The XMB works a bit faster, it used to lag a bit with ptf themes, but not anymore (although it has nothing to do with my Memory stick :p, just for you to know)

edit: yep, checked, internet radio works fine, it lags a bit at the begining but then works ok, and I think the slowdowns are from the radio channels themselves

edit2: the damn thing needs all my internet bandwidth, if I open anything it starts to fail

luxoflux
January 16th, 2008, 03:59
Im having slowdowns on any iso game on 3.80 that needs to read from the memory stick.
Ive tried several games on 4gb/2gb/1gb on all legit sony mspro duo's. Same poor results on all.

Goemon4
January 16th, 2008, 04:00
How odd, but i can say here, with a Sandisk 4gig stick, it works fine on both my fat and slim. (both of which are running 3.80m33-2) Havent noticed one hiccup. Internet radio, homebrew, backups, caching etc all work fine.

Only thing i have problems with are the bloody music player, with its corrupt songs problem. I say sony should really fix that. But nothing else really (mem stick is as good as it was the day i got it)

DPyro
January 16th, 2008, 04:07
Haven't really noticed anything with Sandisk 2GB...then again, I haven't really played with it yet.

Dorian
January 16th, 2008, 04:36
Legit SanDisk 4GB MSPD
If anything,I saw a speedup in ISO's
Internet Radio,the load up is ungodly slow,but otherthan that,working fine

Memory stick transfer speed have been a little lacking,but nothing out of the ordinary threshold

jamotto
January 16th, 2008, 04:51
Perhaps if anyone can get 1.5 homebrew working they can run the PSXReality Memory Stick Tester to see what the speeds really are.

Auriman1
January 16th, 2008, 05:10
My official 4GB Sony memory stick's working fine, too. I had restored default settings and re-formatted my memory stick through the psp upon installation of 3.80 for other reasons, so maybe that fixed any problems I would have otherwise encountered?

pooper
January 16th, 2008, 05:23
My real 4GB Sandisk has some pretty bad slowdown with backups with m33 driver, but seems fine so far in normal mode. I upgraded for the remote play, which i love and it also works pretty well. Hope it gets fixed, cause i don't want to downgrade because I love the remote play.

Veskgar
January 16th, 2008, 06:21
Wow, talk about conflicting reports. I haven't had too much time the past couple days so I haven't yet updated to 3.80 M33-2 and now I'm scared to.

I use a 4GB SanDisk Ultra II on a Slim PSP.

I really DO NOT want slowdown issues in ANYTHING. Backups, or homebrew.

Baboon
January 16th, 2008, 08:52
I've noticed nowon my phat psp that scrolling through my emu's seems a little slower... plus I tried using Chilly Willys latest Snes build and although the emu works once its booted up it wont display the snes directory so you can select your roms. I've since gone back to the original 1.5 snes(me) build and now everything works again??

380m33-3 will no doubt be here within a day or two then. :)

jim80b
January 16th, 2008, 09:07
i am another who think its faster!

it seems to depend on your card.
those reporting problems, can you check if magicgate is supported?

AuroEdge
January 16th, 2008, 09:09
I haven't experienced any problems with my Sandisk 4GB Ultra II. I did however format the memory stick with 3.80 M33 so maybe that's why it's working fine in all regards.

Baboon
January 16th, 2008, 09:36
i am another who think its faster!

it seems to depend on your card.
those reporting problems, can you check if magicgate is supported?

I've got 4GB SanDisk Ultra II thats legit and is magigate supported. I've never had a problem with previous firmwares. :(

No doubt Dax is on the case as we speak... or ekse we'll have to wait for $ony to release an official update (3.81) to fix the mess they created. lol

pspfusion
January 16th, 2008, 12:36
Just upgraded from 3.52m33-4 and I tried a few of my backups & homebrew.

No slowdowns at all :D Using official Sony Pro Duo 4GB

DarthPaul
January 16th, 2008, 13:51
Memorystick bug with pspStore , has been figured out . will be fixed in the next update . No planned date,so dont ask

That was said at Dark_AleX's IRC Channel. Good news, eh? :)

limmk
January 16th, 2008, 13:54
I am using official Sony Pro Duo 8GB and upgraded from 3.71m33-4 -> 3.80m33 ->3.80m33-2 with no hiccups/slowdowns

homebrews - ok
picodrive - ok
daedalus - ok
HuE - ok

hounddog
January 16th, 2008, 14:46
everything work jus fine for me but Ape Quest

Saracchini
January 16th, 2008, 16:30
I tested some backups and homebrews. No problem at all.
I had some problems with corrupting MP3 songs... its a false corrupting (if you take the MS and put again it returns fine) ...this thing occurs with some musics which are encoded with old encoders when the music reaches the last seconds. I re encoded everything with Lame 3.92 (used bt DbAmp converter and Audacity) and 44.100 Khz and 128 Kbps and the problem stopped.

Ah... all my MS (1GB and 2GB) are fake ones and my PSP is a Fat one.

F9zDark
January 16th, 2008, 18:31
sony managed to mess up thier own driver? wow. thyve sunk lower than i thought was even possible

It wasn't on purpose; they tried to make the current driver smaller (possibly to make more space available in the flash for future updates) and managed to mess something up in the process. Its not as bad as you make it sound and it happens all the time in this industry.

fg-54
January 17th, 2008, 00:31
mine is lagging and sooooo slow :(

Veskgar
January 17th, 2008, 03:10
mine is lagging and sooooo slow :(

Did you try the new 3.80 M33 update? 3.80 M33-4? And are you using an older PSP or the Slim PSP?

saulin
January 17th, 2008, 04:56
Memorystick bug with pspStore , has been figured out . will be fixed in the next update . No planned date,so dont ask

Is this the slowdown/choppy issue we are having? If it's, then this will be for update 5? Because update 4 did not fix it. It lags on my Sandisk 4GB, Real stick not a fake.

kyyubidx
January 18th, 2008, 17:16
I have a Sony 4GB fake one and i also get choppiness... any ideas?