PDA

View Full Version : Is it games or Blu-Ray driving the PS3 resurgence?

wraggster
January 18th, 2008, 23:17
Is it the rising Blu-Ray hype that is driving sales? Or a baser aspect of the techno-toy that is beginning to spur on the return of the PlayStation brand.

In my opinion the answer is a bit of both, sales have steadily increased arguably in line with the rise of HD TV. But similarly world-wide sales of the Wii and Xbox 360 have also increased almost in parallel.

The big jumps in PS3 sales have occurred on a regional basis because of significant software releases, for example, in Japan there were spikes of PS3 sales for the release of Virtua Fighter 5, Gundam Musou, Hot Shots Golf 5 and more recently for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue.

Amongst the differing tastes of Western regions on the other hand, it is hard to find a PS3 exclusive that became a console seller. Unlike Halo 3 for Xbox 360, games such as Lair, Heavenly Sword and even Uncharted: Drake's Fortune caused only minor ripples of increased hardware sales.

No, the single significant event that has started the resurgence of sales in the PS3, which now matches the Xbox 360 world-wide, was the price adjustment in early November . Across all regions, the spike in sales and continued success of the machine has been simply due to making it cheaper.

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16156/1092/

ryan2006
January 19th, 2008, 02:11
hmm in my opinion its because the games everyone wanted for the ps3 are coming out this year like mgs4, resident evil 5 and final fantasy also it helps now that blu-ray has "won" the format war and now people who were wanting a hd-dvd player or bluray will buy a ps3 as they are one of the lowest price bluray players and you get games too.

mcdougall57
January 19th, 2008, 02:25
games i reckon, i base this on the fact that many of my friends that own one have standard def tv's

i also know many people bought them because its a "PS3"

SmashinGit
January 19th, 2008, 14:34
I use my ps3 prodominately for watching blu-ray films. Other than the games I have downloaded from the playstation store I only have 1 game which is Ratchet and Clank.

DPyro
January 19th, 2008, 17:22
I'm waiting for a sale or the prices to go down before I get another game...unless it's an absolute must have.

JKKDARK
January 19th, 2008, 17:50
The Blu-Ray movies, totally. I don't think any of the PS3 games can be a success in any market when you have bigger titles on 360 and Wii.

lmtlmt
January 20th, 2008, 00:29
can you just stay out of the ps3 forums!!?!?